Paying back training costs

Comments

• She has been threatened with being deducted £1000 from her next pay although she has not authorised this.

If she's no longer working for them, they're not paying her, so how can they deduct money from her next pay :huh:
  • I'd guess she's still working her notice period...?
  • I think we will just see what HR come back with and play it from there. Its a cloud hanging over her and I want her to move on and enjoy her new job. Might have to lump it and pay up I guess
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I arranged training under my current employer and then they gave me a form to sign saying I'd pay it back if I left within a certain time; there was no way I was signing over a month's pay, so I cancelled the course.

It belittled the employer in my eyes.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    First off she is not happy in her job and an opportunity came up to move out of education and move in to a very large company with great benefits. No one should be unhappy in their job as we spend so much of out time at work so I disagree with saying she is silly.

All communication so far has been via email.

Like i have said above she/we are not refusing to repay but the monthly payments will need to be reasonable so bills can still be paid. How can someone be expected to pay £1000 a month just like that!

We are open to discussion with them to talk it out but there is no willing from their side.

Im not saying she is silly because she is moving jobs, she is silly not to consider the £3000 before she got a new job.
    She has already been working there for years so if she is that unhappy she shouldn't have agreed to paying back the training costs if she left.
    Personally if I didn't have enough money to pay them back in a reasonable time I would have just stayed on until the 12 months was up and then looked to get a different job.
  • Regarding the payment the employer wishes to deduct if they took the £844 which they initially said, this would bring my partners pay under the minimum wage. Unless i have misunderstood:

36hr @ £7.20 = £259.20 x 4 = £1036.80

Lets say she brings home £1500

Am i right in thinking that the maximum her employer can take as a deduction for training is £463.20?

Apologies if i'm being thick but just trying to get my head around what they can and can't take should it come to that.

Thanks
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Regarding the payment the employer wishes to deduct if they took the £844 which they initially said, this would bring my partners pay under the minimum wage. Unless i have misunderstood:

36hr @ £7.20 = £259.20 x 4 = £1036.80

Lets say she brings home £1500

Am i right in thinking that the maximum her employer can take as a deduction for training is £463.20?

Apologies if i'm being thick but just trying to get my head around what they can and can't take should it come to that.

Thanks

That's correct if she is paid every four weeks. If she is paid each calendar month then there is four and a third weeks per pay period.
  • Thanks for clarifying.

Just wondering if they did take some payments from her salary, how likely are they to chase her for the rest once she leaves? If they took a legal stance then that would cost them money. i'm also pretty sure with her current financial commitments that a court would agree that anything more than £100 month payment would leave her short of money.

On another note could this failure to clear the training cost have an affect of her credit file although its not a credit agreement?
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a similar agreement with my first employer. I know some people who left and had loads taken from their last pay but then nothing after that. Don't think it showed up on their credit file - think that was the end of it.

(Not saying that will be true of all employers before anyone thinks I am advising the wrong thing... Just saying what happened where I worked...)
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for clarifying.

Just wondering if they did take some payments from her salary, how likely are they to chase her for the rest once she leaves? If they took a legal stance then that would cost them money. i'm also pretty sure with her current financial commitments that a court would agree that anything more than £100 month payment would leave her short of money.

On another note could this failure to clear the training cost have an affect of her credit file although its not a credit agreement?

To appear on her credit file they would have to take her court, get a CCJ and she would then have to refuse to pay it in 30 days. It all depends how much effort and cost they want you put into claiming back the money. But if she did get a CCJ and didn't pay it in full and arranged a payment plan it would be very detrimental to her credit report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure