PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Mavvy, hope things are looking better for you.

I well remember my first move, when we optimistically hired a Luton van - we hardly owned any furniture, just a bed, table and chairs and a sofa .... Some hours later, after we'd left the tail lift on and drained the battery, we were still shifting boxes of stuff and it was just luck that a friend turned up to help as we'd seriously thought we wouldn't need more than two trips. Never again - I've always paid for removal men since then.

I have always done my utmost to ensure the house was clean when I left it. Sadly not everyone subscribes to that!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Plus one to the underestimating - but it was the professional movers I hired that did it, honest! They said I needed one Luton van, I ended up needing two. Astonishing! .
    Save

same thing happened to us ... they sent 2 men initially, then sent another 2! THEN another van!

and they were SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOW ! ... we were only moving a mile away, and had filled and emptied 3 cars several times before they seemed to have done anything! ( luckily we were moving into an empty house ) They said they didn't need to come and do anything the day before, and they were also meant to be packing everything!
    we also shifted ALL our garden pots/furniture into a neighbours garden and collected that a few days later!

I've kondo'd a few more childrens games and puzzles, so that is my playroom pretty much done. although I think I might need to sort the duplo, as for some reason it won't fit in the box anymore? !!! does it grow? !!!

I've got to do the airing cupboard next ......
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well the day started fairly well. We decided that the apple tree we started cutting back last week would be way too much for the wheelie bin, so OH chopped it back and I loaded it into the car for a trip to the tip.

I set to and chopped back some other bushes leaving enough room in the wheelie bin for the grass as the lawn didn't get cut last weekend as it was full of apple tree.

OH decided he'd sharpen the blade for the mower, so I asked him to sharpen the shears also. So now we can't get the shears back together, it appears the plastic k n o b has a metal thread in it that the nut goes into. However the k no b rattles, the metal thread has come away inside and is too deep for the thread of the nut to reach. That'll be new shears needed.

So OH puts the mower back together, it then refused to start properly without the switch being held in, then it stopped completely. That'll be a trip to the repairers again. We had a similar problem earlier in the year, and still have the receipt, I don't know if there's any form of guarantee, but it took weeks to be repaired as they struggled to get the part. We won't buy another Hayter electric mower, it's had similar problems several times previously.

Oh, and of course we've now got 2 weeks growth on the lawn.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've put an Ikea CoD into the garage - I think I'll donate it at Emmaus as they'll be able to repair the minor defect rather than tipping it. But seeing the problem has made me rationalise some of my storage.

Upstairs has been cleaned and tidied. I have a perfectly good sleeping bag and two rather ancient kingsize duvets (4.5 tog and 9 tog) surplus to requirements and I'm not sure what to do with them. I also have a mattress topper that needs to go to a laundry that washes with something unscented as it STILL stinks of whatever was used last time, despite taking it to the laundrette and leaving it on the line for hours and sleeping on it for a year. My other one was washed by the laundry near my parents, so I may well start taking them up there once a year.

Raining now, so missed the chance to mow. Office is a tip, but the desk that was cluttering up the dining room is now in there and although it doesn't go with the rest of the (ikea birch) office furniture, it provides useful space. I need to have a long think about the office at some point. I don't really like working in there as it's so small. But need somewhere to shut my work stuff away when not working (whenever that is) and work when people are here. And I also keep all my personal filing in there. Still, it'll be a while before I get to it, so not something to worry about for a while. But it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to be getting rid of decent furniture and keeping the ikea stuff...
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only one item kondoed today - the old alarm clock that ticked away all night, didn't go off this morning and was still showing 10.45pm!!! Good job I'd put my phone alarm on just in case. Have spent the day buttering rolls and cooking sausages and bacon for all the guys who were lifting the boats out and putting them on the trailers. Am somewhat shattered so now home with a cuppa and going to veg out and watch Strictly;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

((((((((mavvy)))))))))) sorry to hear you've had a bad few weeks, if it's something you want to vent here, we're here for you, if you want to keep it private, just accept positive vibes.

Well, where do I start? We left at 08.30 and came back in at 3.45, having done yet another dump run on the way across the hometown.

Cousin arrived not long after Mum, Dad and I, with a mahoosive estate car and began emptying and taking outdoor planters and like ilk, such as part-used bags of potting compost.

Dad and I got one of the CODs on a sack barrow and took it the 70 yards down the road to his sister's garage (no car, virtually empty). We then emptied the second piece of furniture left in that room, a very unspecial dressing table. Aunt moved it away from the wall and was staring behind it in consternation.

Yup, the classic pale beige 'flour' outfall on the floor caused by rampant woodworm infestation. I de-mirrored it (and separated the mirror from its backing and took it and all three drawers down the garden to a growing pile which will be Bonfire II - the Revenge. Couldn't do pyromania today as two households two doors away had lines full of washing.

:p:o But tomorrow, mes amies, we plan to be there REALLY early and get burning before anyone has a chance to do their washing.

The rest of the time was being divided between clothes sorting, crockery sorting, shed sorting, shed dismantling (Big Shed is a roofless wonder, many many spiders reported homeless after 50 + years of multigenerational living).

The dump run included some metals (alu pan sans handle from the shed, bagful of those one-use bedding plant modules) and several items which were generally part of the WTH?! territory.

Aunt got underfoot but did sweet eff all (ususal style), Cousin played nicely with others and worked hard, Dad clambered around on Big Shed's roof with a pry bar, and I scoured the place out for things which will burn without causing pollution. Have shedloads of small knackered basketry (woodwormy in many cases) to burn.

I also have some small hand tools which need to be slipped into the edge of the fire to have their woodwormy handles burned off. This is an old trick if you've got something with a handle you can't get off, although you must minimalise the time spent in the fire so's not to upset the temper of the metal.

Going to be taking some Stuff back to the city tomorrow night, and returning to the bungalow clearance next weekend, which will be the last before the keys come back. Still a lot of Stuff around which no one in the family wants and which will need to be donated and recycled.

We're all cream-crackered and I now have to go research skip hire for next week.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Oh, for mila, I don't know if you have 'skips' in the US, I guess the nearest analogy is probably a dropbox, bearing in mind what I saw on a US hoarding website.

Skips come on trucks and are swung out onto the road or onto your land, and your fee pays for their contents to be taken away. Smallest ones are about the size of a hatchback car.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always thought the US equivalent of a skip was a dumpster?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Skips outside shops are usually called dumpsters, aren't they? Dumpster diving is the equivalent of our skip diving
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    snap! :rotfl:
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure