February 2015 Post of the Month

Options
badge-postofthemonth.png

What's it about?

Post of the Month is a fantastic opportunity to highlight the useful, MoneySaving posts you've read on the Forum that you think deserve recognition. The best will get our special Post of the Month badge from MSE Badger!

Who's MSE Badger and what's it about?

You may have seen some of MSE Badger's badges on forumites' profiles e.g., on the Debt Free Wannabe and Mortgage Free Wannabe boards where people have cleared their debts and paid off their mortgage early. And perhaps on the Grabbit board where forumites' fantastic spots have been included in the weekly email.

What to do

To nominate the forum post and poster you feel have been most useful or helpful this month..
  1. Post the link to the specific thread/post you're nominating. To do it highlight the web address of the thread/post when you're viewing it from the address bar at the top of the screen and copy (press 'control' and 'c') and paste ('control' and 'v').
  2. In one paragraph say why you feel this forumite deserves a Post of the Month badge.

Maybe you've seen a fab frugal idea on the Old Style Board, a bargain game console on the Gaming Board or a fantastic grow-your-own tip on Greenfingered MoneySaving.

Remember, by doing this you're nominating, NOT voting - there is a difference! :smiley:

How will we pick the winner?

At the end of the month the MSE Team will shortlist the 10 posts we like the best (if there are that many!) and put them in a poll for you to vote on. The post with the most votes will win the badge - hooray! :)

We're really looking forward to seeing what you've enjoyed reading this month...
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Please can I nominate sourcrate's post #11 on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5182469

for February post of the month.
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Problem we have today is this, banks and financial institutions like to keep us all in debt, fact.

Why is this you ask ?, well, if people were not in debt, banks could not exist in there current form, they would make less profit, and the shareholders would not be happy, oh dear i hear you say.

How to get out of this spiral then ?

There is a moment in time, when all the stars in the universe align, the birds stop singing, the sun moves behind the moon, and you realize you are spending much, much more, than you actually have coming in, and you think to yourself, "this situation cannot continue".

This, this perfect moment in time, is called your Light bulb moment.

For here on in, you know things need to change, you need to reign in your spending, your borrowing, things you spend money on, that you simply dont need, and can easily live without, numerous options are available, it depends on your own personal circumstances, cut up that credit card, no more loans, plan, and stick to a budget.

Theirs lots of good advise available on here, from people who have been through very similar circumstances, this does need nipping in the bud, because if it continues, and you don't stop unnecessary spending/borrowing, then its a fast downhill slope to Bankruptcy make no mistake.

I led a very similar lifestyle almost entirely funded by credit for many years until my LBM, you need to take positive action now, to avoid getting into much deeper trouble.

This advice is excellent for so many people who use the DFW forum and emphasises the importance of having a true lightbulb moment before things can really start to change.

Sourcrates gives lots of great advice to many posters but I think this post is exceptional.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks for the nomination Time to face the music.

Let's hear some more :)

Join the MSE Forum
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    didnt know you had started this back up :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Must be a better way to get forum users involved in this?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 2 March 2015 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Retweets on twitter would be great :)

As you'll have seen we flag it up in forum announcements but we have other items we want to let forumites know about too so can't do that all the time.

Join the MSE Forum
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    LOL! In true Oscars and Brit Awards fashion (I'll try not to fall down the stairs....)

And the winner is.... (drumroll).....

sourcrates :)

Join the MSE Forum
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Retweets on twitter would be great :)

As you'll have seen flag it up in forum announcements but we have other items we want to let forumites know about too so can't do that all the time.

A mention somewhere in one of the weekly emails each month? I know there is so much else to go in though, and may just be buried.

Perhaps a one off group email or PM to forum users to remind them that post of the month is back?

Tricky to do it without overkill or being too intrusive.

Congratulations to sourcrates. :j :T
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    LOL! In true Oscars and Brit Awards fashion (I'll try not to fall down the stairs....)

And the winner is.... (drumroll).....

sourcrates :)

Thank you very much, granted there was little (no!!!) competition lol

but its much appreciated anyway !!!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure