PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who watched Jamie Oliver's budget meal show last night?

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 June 2014 at 12:55PM
    The recipes were too restauranty, most people eat basic foods at home.
    £2 to £3 a portion is laughable when so many have less than £20 a week to feed a family after bills have been paid to live on.
    Too many have had to resort to food banks were processed food is handed out, but only enough to keep the wolf from the door for a couple of days.
    A lot of us on MSE who live in the real world could give him a run for his money on cheap recipes

We could kick Jamie's behind! ;)

Then again I guess I'm glad they don't show people how we scrimp, when Jack Monroe started working for sainaburys they put the price of all of the basic ingredients she used up by more than 100%!! E.g. Basic stock cubes used to be 10p for 10, they're now 25p - coincidence? I think not!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 June 2014 at 1:06PM
    I did like what Jamie did with a frozen chilli though .....*leaves that hanging in the air* ....

I can never use recipes in these programmes, but I do like to look at food ... I cook for one (no freezer), so add that onto the fact he's buying lots of ingredients, and fresh ingredients, that'd go off, it's just not possible to follow them. But the odd bit/piece is handy to think about (e.g. the chilli).

I did also spot his "thumb sized piece of ginger" ... his thumbs must be 4x mine! I've never got round to buying/using ginger, but on the description I'd have been buying/using a much smaller piece. Much like a chef's "pinch of salt", I always thought that meant about 30 grains (a pinch) ... but it really means about half a teaspoon when you watch them.
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    We could kick Jamie's behind! ;)

Then again I guess I'm glad they don't show people how we scrimp, when Jack Monroe started working for sainaburys they put the price of all of the basic ingredients she used up by more than 100%!! E.g. Basic stock cubes used to be 10p for 10, they're now 25p - coincidence? I think not!

She doesn't work for tesco or asda, and their basic ranges have doubled or tripled as well.
  • evie451
    evie451 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post
    I like jamie, its the pure estuary accent and his enthusiasm that gets me though! I watched last night and might try the hangover noodles out of that show and they certainly wont be costing me £1.76 pp......but not much else.....my DD commented that she doesnt understand how any of his recipes work as he doesnt measure anything and just glugs and sloshes away to his hearts content!:rotfl:
    Every Penny's a prisoner :T
  • BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    We often watch Jamie Oliver's programmes and last Christmas I bought my OH the book from the moneysaving series (bargain from The Book People!). In theory the recipe's are cheap...ish, but as my OH said, only if they're made to serve about 6 people! It's just the 2 of us, so most of the meals are far to huge and we'd have to at least half the recipes which then becomes expensive.

Another thing that gets me is that celebrity chefs assume we have all the "extras" (spices, condiments etc) in our cupboards! :mad:
  • Chi-me
    Chi-me Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some interesting comments both pro and con :D Thank you all.

My concerns are with the amount of ingredients needed which could create waste. Those pots of sweet smoked paprika are expensive and as one poster already pointed out the 10p worth used may not warrant the whole pot if you don't regularly use the stuff. He also sploshes olive oil around like it's rain water.

I really like the idea posted about shopping around, just like Jack Monroe would and wrote on my blog that I'd like to see her create a series just like Jamie's, a real person working to a real budget. I'd watch that!

I'm not digging JO, he's a great British chef and a good man to boot.
    :money:
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wasn't sure whether the costings included the add-ons, such as the cooking oil, the spices, and so-on.

I have to say I don't much like the bloke, but his tomato soup looked good.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 June 2014 at 6:29PM
    Chi-me wrote: »

My concerns are with the amount of ingredients needed which could create waste. Those pots of sweet smoked paprika are expensive and as one poster already pointed out the 10p worth used may not warrant the whole pot if you don't regularly use the stuff. He also sploshes olive oil around like it's rain water.
    he does use IMO far too much oil and salt. And vanilla. Unpalatable amounts. The soaked sweet paprika is a spice he favours. It appears in a few recipes, so the idea would be I imagine its costed to this recipe with the idea of using it in other recipes over a long time period. Spices well stored have a very long shelve live, whatever Bart's would have us believe. I go by what I call the 'pyramids' theory for dry goods. Several years ago they planted and grew things stored in jars from a pyramid. Because it had been stored dry, dark aend sealed it grew. Some sweet paprika can last as long as I take to use it up. It might lose a little potency, but if I keep it dry, dark and sealed, it'll do. I shan't tell you how old my tin is. .
    I really like the idea posted about shopping around, just like Jack Monroe would and wrote on my blog that I'd like to see her create a series just like Jamie's, a real person working to a real budget. I'd watch that!

When its considered one of the hugest issues in the country is food waste purchasing and cost is not the sole issue for poverty of diet in this country, Proportionately we spend a Low percentage ( historically) of income on food. And see obesity across economic classes, including those who have least at the same time we are seeing malnutrition, Purchasing wisdom and making good palatable so that we enjoy eating less, but what we eat is perhaps MORE tasty and more nutritious choices.

Edit...soaked was an auto correct for smoked! My tablet is a health freak.
  • Solstice_3
    Solstice_3 Posts: 444 Forumite
    Well I liked it, and I don't understand the extreme reaction of turning the tv off in anger - what did I miss?! I love watching cook shows just to get me inspired and excited about cooking, the novelty wears off when you cook everyday. I have the book, and I like the look of a lot of the recipes and I like the man (JO) too. It so happens that I am making 2 recipes tonight from the book - Sag aloo, using up some potato and substituting summer greens (which need using) for spinach and Lamb Biriyani, using up my leftover lamb and again substituting the summer greens for spinach - I can't wait!

Oh and 15 minute meals, I use the recipes as a guideline so I don't buy pre cooked rice etc and I regularly make some of the meals in that book - I do have a relatively well stocked store cupboard but I thought that was normal :)
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • Almo
    Almo Posts: 631 Forumite
    Chi-me wrote: »

My concerns are with the amount of ingredients needed which could create waste. Those pots of sweet smokeded paprika are expensive and as one poster already pointed out the 10p worth used may not warrant the whole pot if you don't regularly use the stuff. He also sploshes olive oil around like it's rain water.

If someone is unable to recognise that a recipe which uses a fairly high cost ingredient that they seldom use is unlikely to be frugal or low waste then perhaps we might at least apportion some of the blame to them rather than the tv chef who is in no way forcing them to make the dish. Sorry, I know that sounds really snotty and I don't mean to be mean.

I think Jamie is a bit of a tool but I don't have a problem with his show. As far as I'm aware tge programme is not marketed at those on the breadline but as alluded to by other posters, people looking to cut down their food spends and/or get better value from what they do buy. I've made one of the money saving meals from scratch and it's become a firm favourite. Most of his other recipes I use more as inspiration to see what can be done using leftovers/limited time.

The problem with OS is that it's a self selecting group who tend to have budgetting and cooking skills far in excess of the level of joe public. These programmes are thus always a disappointment to the OS board. Over the years it seems to me that it has also focused increasingly on very low budget cooking/shopping. There's no shame in needing to cut a shopping budget to bare minimum and there are hugely inspirational posts all over OS from people doing just that. Equally there is no shame in having a higher food budget and experimenting (I don't only eat 'basic foods' at home although equally you can't beat egg and chips)/choosing higher cost foods. I buy organic FR eggs because of my own moral choices and because I like how they taste. To me they represent good value, to someone else they won't.

I guess I just can't see why people don't just turn over/make the programme they want to see/google alternatives to smoked paprika recipes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure