What your credit score really means

Comments

• Barclaycard customers can view Experian score for FREE by going to account services and activating the score. It takes 1-2 days but you get free monthly scores to view from your account.

Please note it is just your score and not the full report (use Noddle free version for this.

My noddle score was 1/5 but my Experian score is 937/999. So do NOT trust Noddle! But do use the report to check your details are correct.

I told my fiancee to apply for a barclaycard, cut it up on arrival and use the online account services to get a free score.

Hope this tip saves people from paying £14.99 per month to view the score for free.

Long live moneysavingexpert - great site.

Cheers
    Timboy
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    timboy1984 wrote: »

I told my fiancee to apply for a barclaycard, cut it up on arrival and use the online account services to get a free score.

You told her to take out a credit agreement and impact her credit file, just to get a fictitious number?

That's a bit mean.
  • I am currently living at my Parent in laws house with my wife so we can save a deposit for a mortgage next year I have just checked my credit score and it is not good. I drive and my car insurance and everything to do with my car is registered at my parents house. Does this affect my Credit Rating.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I am currently living at my Parent in laws house with my wife so we can save a deposit for a mortgage next year I have just checked my credit score and it is not good. I drive and my car insurance and everything to do with my car is registered at my parents house. Does this affect my Credit Rating.

Did you click on the link to "What credit scores really mean" given in the opening post of this thread and read it?
  • I also refrained from having settled accounts. I need to get the accounts as such.
  • jimjimster
    jimjimster Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 29 February 2016 at 5:04PM
    Hello, :)

I am a newbie Here so I apologize if this is an incorrect place to post . I have rather troubling entry in my credit file as detailed below , would appricite greatly if any one could help

Hi,
    I Recently Thought of Getting My Credit Reports ,
    On My Equifax Report there is a Search enquiry by Shop Direct Finance Limited called a "Beneficiary Trace Enquiry" on both my current address and a previous one ,this has been done sometime in November 2015 , looking online it seems to be connected with Littlewoods,
    Now interestingly I had an account with them till 2008, when I was abroad for quite a while they had apparently put some buy now pay later debt letters had arrived at home ( I hadn't purchased any items what so ever for a long while- the account should hav been dormant ) they put it in my credit files , after writing a few letters to and fro saying I can prove they weren't mine they apologised ,closed the account and subsequently removed it from my file ( it was only on Equifax if I recall correct) .
    I would be greateful to know if this has a connection or what this " Benificiary Trace Enquiry " means?
    Thanks
    P.S i posted this here thinking this is a better place to post but now i cant delete the thread i started sorry
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    timboy1984 wrote: »
    Barclaycard customers can view Experian score for FREE by going to account services and activating the score. It takes 1-2 days but you get free monthly scores to view from your account.

Please note it is just your score and not the full report (use Noddle free version for this.

My noddle score was 1/5 but my Experian score is 937/999. So do NOT trust Noddle! But do use the report to check your details are correct.

Hope this tip saves people from paying £14.99 per month to view the score for free.

Long live moneysavingexpert - great site.

Cheers
    Timboy

Perhaps Noddle are right and you shouldnt trust Experian :-) Alternatively does this example not just highlight what a pile of nonsense the whole made up 'credit score'is.
  • The credit score business should be looked into and crimminal action taken against these companies. I am lucky enough to have money in the bank, own 2 properties and owe no one money but I have apoor credit score becaue I have no debt. However I have AMEX Charge Cards, so the money is paid in full end of each month, I have various other CC's which I seldom use, only if AMEX is not accepted but Experian who I paid money to for many years dropped my credid score consideribly the moment I paid off my last debt. I was quite angry as I thought it would be good to be debt free. Madness, the whole business is crazy and greedy. My wife cannot get information about me but every company in the world appears to know all about me, so much for Data protection. It is all a scam and the wee people pay dearly for it. Having said that I love being debt free. Regards, John
  • Credit score are matters for all banks credit cards? Means nationalized and private sector banks credit cards?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2016 at 12:25PM
    ross555 wrote: »
    Credit score are matters for all banks credit cards? Means nationalized and private sector banks credit cards?

Say again please ?

Not sure if your post building.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport