Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• Very impressed by the butter making using the cream. I've ended up only using butter for cakes that guests might eat and using stork for everything else.

Hope you get some let up on one of those fronts and the pressure eases.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 September 2017 at 11:53PM
    It's me again! Made it back here after an exhausting weekend and two overnights at work.

Yesterday the tiredness hit and lead to a massive bust-up with DS2 but all credit to him, we have made it up and hopefully are communicating better. Sometimes it takes hitting some sort of rock bottom to start bouncing back. Anyway a pretty good night's sleep last night and today the sun is shining.

I really, really need to change energy providers for Mum's house. It's currently about as expensive to run as it could be. I'll try to make some progress today.

There are probably lots of other jobs - might need to revisit that list from last week because although the kitchen got tidied yesterday, it needs it again today and the poor goldfish really need a freshen up.

I'm planning to go to work on Mum's house again tomorrow so I need to check various websites and get a ticket, that's if there's no train strike.

Some bits of shopping to get - and I'm being very tempted by a cheap throw to take to the house, only because it's so appealing. I really don't need it: it won't go with anything there and I'll only have to find a home for it elsewhere eventually.

Just a quick update on money stuff, then, followed by List of the Day, which I'll amend as I go along.

17th
    Spends:
    Housekeeping £10.31
    MS stuff:
    My favourite cappuccinos are back on offer so I'm buying lots when I get the chance.
    Confession time:
    Brought a couple of ready meals for work because I wanted a change and feel the need to top up my protein intake.
    18th
    Book £6.47
    MS stuff:
    Amalgamated all the odd vegetables into what accidentally turned out to be a really delicious soup. There's enough left for today too. :)

List of the Day:
    Clean fish tank
    Go for a run
    Piano practice DONE
    Prep study material for this evening DONE
    Go to shops DONE
    Decant paint for Mum's house back fence
    Contact ebay seller
    Ironing DONE
    Utilities for Mum's house?
    Train tickets DONE

I can see I'm not going to get all these done but I'll do what I can.

Midnight edit: 5 out of 10 out of the way. Can't proceed with utilities until I have meter readings.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Just dropping in for a cuppa, biscuits on me this time ;)

You are always so busy, and managing 2 houses is so hard, as is keeping going on all fronts. For me, everything at Mum's gets done, everything at mine fills the gaps as and when, hence the fire fighting. You do amazingly well Cherry. I still have to deal with all the probate stuff for mum, I am hiding doing the ostrich thing as I find it upsetting to deal with.
    I don't always post but cheering you all the way :)

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Cherryfudge
    Just dropping in for a cuppa, biscuits on me this time ;)

You are always so busy, and managing 2 houses is so hard, as is keeping going on all fronts. For me, everything at Mum's gets done, everything at mine fills the gaps as and when, hence the fire fighting. You do amazingly well Cherry. I still have to deal with all the probate stuff for mum, I am hiding doing the ostrich thing as I find it upsetting to deal with.
    I don't always post but cheering you all the way :)

NOA
    x

Mmm - biscuits! Thank you :)

I am lucky in that DH is handling the probate. We are taking things just one step at a time. I do tend to work too hard rather than waster precious time when working on the old house, but I make myself get out and about every day as it's too quiet otherwise. I do sympathise over the not-wanting-to-do-probate. My head is firmly in the sand as often as possible, without having that particular one to face. For me the biggest bit is likely to be selling the house. I'm glad Mum left her affairs in such good order, even if the house is a huge job!

• Cherryfudge
    edited 28 September 2017 at 11:47PM
    19th
    Spends:
    Train ticket £52.06
    Plants £2.00
    Tarpaulin £6.99

All the above to reclaim from the estate.

Housekeeping £1.00 + 60p + £1.95 = £3.55
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Book £13.??

MS stuff:
    Resisted a couple of nice bags I saw in a charity shop! Not sure one will stay resisted, though: it would be very handy for travelling.
    I think I've talked myself out of buying the throw.

• It feels so good to have a nice long list and then cross things off doesn't it.

You resisted the have. I love a nice bag. Couldn't give a fig about shoes, but have I love. Don't leave it too long if you do want the travel bag . I left a perfect, oak bookcase once and missed it. I'm still kicking myself.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 24 September 2017 at 12:26AM
    I got the bag! And it's proved very useful. :)

I'll try to remember what else I've bought in the intervening days: groceries and a magazine... I think that's all. I'll try to do a proper account soon. Oh, and plants marked down to 20p a tray - three trays' worth.

I spent a couple of days working on Mum's old house: I got very little clearing done, but patched the highly dodgy garage roof, painted some doors and cleared a path through a roomful of boxes so now there's only one radiator sufficiently inaccessible to daunt the most fearless of radiator-replacement teams. It looks to me as though the estimate for the boiler/radiators is fairly reasonable but I'm waiting for the okay from my sister as it's her money too.

Work continues apace. It's been surprisingly quiet recently, but my manager obviously got the wrong end of the stick when I went on and on about our various problems: he seems to think I might have the answers! :rotfl: Talk about dropping myself in it! I spent a couple of hours pouring over paperwork this morning and last night (good job things were quiet) and produced an analysis of one looming problem area and a short email about something else... still leaves me with a bigger piece of analysis but I'm hoping I have the worst out of the way. I wish I could say I've covered all aspects, but even with the help of a colleague, there may be things I haven't thought of.

And then DH and I went for a run, which was really nice. Autumn is setting in: it was a bit cooler but that's a good thing. I did see a wild crab apple tree which has loads of fruit beneath it and I was quite tempted to gather some as obviously no one else is going to, but I don't think we can use endless jars of crab apple jelly and I don't know what else to make with them, Shame. Anyway we are past the equinox so spring must be on the way. :)

• Had to smile re the crab apples. My grandfather used to have a tree in his garden that I harvested each year, but you're right, beyond crab apple jelly which is quite sharp in flavour, I don't know of other interesting recipes to do with them. I was surprised at the amount of apple trees on the side of the roads I've driven on for the uni trip. Had to really resist the urge to pull into one layby and collect the windfalls:D. Shame it goes to waste.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Ooh cherryfudge. Well done on the garage roof. Could you fix my bay roof. :)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Heehee parsniphead - quite happy to do so. I assume you are fine with a cheap tarpaulin and and assortment of old slates, tiles and bricks?:rotfl:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport