Shares held by deceased - what happens?

Not sure if this is in the right place so please move if not.

My mum died 9 years ago and didn't leave a will. At the time I was ill myself but did what I could to sort her affairs, arrange the funeral etc.

Anyway, it now transpires that she had shares for many years. No one has the certificates and we're not really sure what she had.

Is there anyway to find out even though it's a long time ago?

Thanks

VB x

Comments

• After 9 years it will be difficult to trace. You could try
    (a) going through old bank statements, paying in books etc and looking for dividends being paid in
    (b) if you think they were in major companies (eg 1980s privatisations) contact the Registrar for each company (usually on the companies' websites under Corporate or Investor information)
    (c) her bank may have acted as stockbroker, but after 9 years+ it's unlikely they still have any share dealing records. Of course they might have held the certificates in safe deposit. Or check old chequebooks for payments to stockbrokers etc.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Anyway, it now transpires that she had shares for many years. No one has the certificates and we're not really sure what she had.

We may be able to advise you better if you explain how it has come to light that she had shares.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure