Renters' contents insurance guide discussion

Former_MSE_Rosie
Former_MSE_Rosie Posts: 105 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 19 October 2023 at 3:39PM in Insurance & life assurance

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already,

join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• G_Gy
    G_Gy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi. I'm moving into a new house in 2 weeks, and I'm struggling to find a cheap insurance policy. My new agency wants me to get a policy that covers accidental damage to the property caused by me (aka wine spillage on the carpet). They recommended a company that offers tenant liability insurance, but it's 180£ annually. I've been paying 60£ annually to cover my contents, so tried to look for cheaper alternative. Phoned a few insurers and they all refused to cover accidental damage to the property because the building insurance shall cover it. Anyone has any experience about this?
  • G_Gy
    G_Gy Posts: 3 Newbie
    My problem is actually sorted now. Got a smashing 75£ deal from Axa.
  • Do I need "trace and access" cover or "accidental building damage" cover? They aren't on hardly any of my renting contents quotes - first time setting up my own contents insurance so a little lost!
    Lloyds Mastercard: £0 (0% until December 2018) - I did it yay!
    Virgin money: £2000 (0% until June 2019) - regular £150 payments, still in use.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do I need "trace and access" cover or "accidental building damage" cover? They aren't on hardly any of my renting contents quotes - first time setting up my own contents insurance so a little lost!

No, buildings cover will be for the landlord and trace and access for the cost of finding and fixing a leak landlord as well.

Is the landlord/agency saying you have to have these? If they are you may want to post in the renting forum for advice.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Do I need "trace and access" cover or "accidental building damage" cover? They aren't on hardly any of my renting contents quotes - first time setting up my own contents insurance so a little lost!

As above, this is buildings cover not contents.

As a renter, the landlord is usually responsible for this.
  • Why has the quoted article within MSE now disappeared? It was only posted earlier this year, and promised to be quite useful.
  • MSE_Tony
    MSE_Tony Posts: 100 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

I have updated the link to the guide which should now be working.
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2017 at 5:53PM
    Actually I have read the article now (thanks for fixing the link), but it missed out an area which I think is quite important - tenants' liability cover. This means you can claim if you accidentally damage your landlord's property. Some contents policies include this, but I am not sure if all do? And when signing a tenancy agreement, often the letting agency will try and push a tenant to take out their recommended contents cover (usually more expensive - they get a kickback) or insist that you have tenants' liability.

We got our own policy (Endsleigh) that covered this. But I am still unsure if most ordinary policies cover it or not? Not much is said about it, so often you have to ring the company to find out, after getting quotes. We found it very useful when our washing machine leaked and spoiled the landlord's kitchen flooring, and we made a successful claim. Landlord and us were both happy!

I assumed the MSE article would touch on this.
  • I accidentally damaged the bath in my rented flat. The landlord said he would cover it if I paid his excess, but now says his insurers have told him they might go back to me to recover costs. Might being the operative word apparently. I would rather just buy a cheap bath and get it fitted myself, and even the landlord thinks this might be the way to go.

Is this common with landlords insurance? He said he hadn't been told this before.
  • For info for anybody in a similar situation:

The house I am renting has been subject to subsidence in the past, this has since been rectified.
    When I did quotes last year for Contents Only Insurance, I got quotes from Compare the Market & Confused.com.
    Compare the Market do not ask any questions on whether the property has been subject to subsidence - quote was around £70.
    Confused.com and moneysupermarket DO ask the question - quote was around £150.
    In the interest of money saving, I of course went for the cheaper quote. Only to be contacted by the insurer a month later to advise that there would be an additional charge (another £70) as the property has been subject to subsidence and I didn't make them aware (not my fault, compare the market didn't ask!).
    I didn't realise that as this was CONTENTS insurance and not buildings insurance that subsidence would make such a difference.
    If you are in this situation, beware of lower insurance quotes, and make sure you check the terms thoroughly.

I'm going to contact compare the market separately as I notice when I have done quotes this year that they still don't ask the question.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback