union sold us out?

As a company is planning cutbacks it often discusses the changes with union representitives before any changes are announced or disvussed with colleagues. There is a rumour within my company that union reps have been "appeased" by negotiating a 1.5 percent/year redundancy package before any cinsultations take place.....to keep the union at bay so to speak.
is this fair?

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I see nothing wrong with a company offering an enhanced redundancy package as its opening move in a redundancy situation
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Do you mean an amount above the statutory pay?
    ally.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Surely the union's role is to get the best deal for its members that it can. Generally speaking whether redundancies take place isnt open for negotiation - it's the direct result of financial circumstances. So the main area of focus is to ensure that it is as painless as possible. Again generally speaking, this is also in the company's interest as it minimises the unhappiness of the staff who remain.
  • moneydon_2
    moneydon_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Andy_L wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with a company offering an enhanced redundancy package as its opening move in a redundancy situation

True but this has been arranged prior to any 1 2 1consultations
  • moneydon_2
    asajj wrote: »
    Do you mean an amount above the statutory pay?

Yes....that is the rumour
  • moneydon_2
    Linton wrote: »
    Surely the union's role is to get the best deal for its members that it can. Generally speaking whether redundancies take place isnt open for negotiation - it's the direct result of financial circumstances. So the main area of focus is to ensure that it is as painless as possible. Again generally speaking, this is also in the company's interest as it minimises the unhappiness of the staff who remain.

Yes it's all good and well knowing the union is pro workers but the issue is the agreement been reached prior to any individual consultations
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Call a meeting, demand they attend or a vote of no confidence will be held instead and election for a new representative if it goes against them.
    That will soon get the rep's attention, you only need a 3/4 majority to deselect the rep.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • corf999
    corf999 Posts: 348 Forumite
    The company could just ignore the unions and offer statutory.

No agreement has been reached, that is not for the unions to decide - the unions may have just encouraged the business to offer more.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    As far as I know 1:2:1 individual consultation only starts after collective consultation finishes in which redundancy packages are decided. So not sure why you keep pointing about individual consultation?

During your individual consultation you may tell them you aren't happy but also don't forget union can object but company doesn't have to necessarily accept their objection. I've seen examples where management reduced redundancy offer after Union dragged the conversation for weeks.
    ally.
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    How can they do 1:1 consultations without knowing what package is on offer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure