Ford Evans Halshaw rip me off! (Portway, Preston)

My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: £75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: £375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further £375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out – either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl – Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of £200 (£125 = NEW Key FOB + £75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me £425 (£350 = Module + £75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded “I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost £200 out of pocket – he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldn’t do anything and that he wouldn’t be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off – when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
AP

Comments

• Ask to have your old Module fitted and sell the new on on eBay?
  • aviator wrote: »
    My Ford Focus (1.8 TDCi 54') had a fault with the electric windows, so i booked myself in with Evans Halshaw (Portway, Preston), fully aware of being charge a premium price.

The problem i had was, all four windows would intermittently wind down, when attempting to lock/unlock the car using the keyfob.

Visit 1: £75 - At Ford, after the initial diagnostic they advised me i needed to replace a MODULE in the car - i was told the "module" currently fitted in my car was faulty and that a new module would definitely resolve the issue.

Visit 2: £375 - Reluctantly, i parted with a further £375 using my Visa Debit card and had this new 'module' fitted (08/02/2011). When i reached my car to drive out of the FORD forecourt, i found that the problem was NOT resolved. Immediately i walked back into the Service Centre and informed the Service Desk manager of the issue.

I was then advised to return on the weekend, so the mechanics could check the problem again.

At this point i was beginning to think, either an incorrect diagnosis had been done OR no work had been carried out – either way I was being ripped off!

Visit 3: I returned on the Saturday (16/02/2011) and I left my car with the mechanics.

Couple of days later, i received a call from Ford (Carl – Service Centre Manager) who stated that my car was ready and the problem was now solved. He explained the fault was with the 'key-fob'. At which point, i stated that if their original diagnosis had been correct, then i would only have been charged a total sum of £200 (£125 = NEW Key FOB + £75 Diagnostic); instead, their incorrect diagnosis had cost me £425 (£350 = Module + £75 Diagnostic). I continued by asking for a partial-refund, to which Carl responded “I agree the module should not have been fitted and we are sorry, but we are unable to provide a refund, however we will not charge you for the new-fob).

I explained to him again, the incorrect diagnosis had left me almost £200 out of pocket – he listened and then again responded by telling me he couldn’t do anything and that he wouldn’t be charging for the new key fob.

Visit 4: Ive now picked my car up and the problem with the electrics seems to be resolved.

After 4 visits and a poor service, I feel extremely annoyed having being ripped off – when the very reason I took my car to Ford was to receive a premium service.

Is there anyone who can help me? If there anyway I can have my money returned?
    Should I consult a solicitor? Or even trading standards.

Thanks in advance
    AP

Yes, if you feel that strong about it spend some more money on the issue. On the other hand the car is now fixed so move on.
    Funny you should say this - ive already asked this and they have refused. Its now got to a stage, were they are refusing to answer my calls or return my calls.

Thanks
    AP

If you have evidence of being ripped off then got to a solicitor or trading standards. My guess is you don't.
    Thanks - but you have to agree, given that financially im finding it difficult to make ends meet, £200 is alot of money to me.

Thanks

So put it in that hands of a solicitor (a person who makes a living out of such things) and take the matter to court. If you lose you will be £1000's not £200 down. ;)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    geee thanks! - get ripped off and stay quiet about it.

That's how it is, do you think you have a case you would win?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    aviator wrote: »
    geee thanks! - get ripped off and stay quiet about it.

You need to balance your chances of winning any case against them, against the cost of losing.;)
  • Inactive wrote: »
    You need to balance your chances of winning any case against them, against the cost of losing.;)

My guess is he can't afford to lose.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Even if he loses, the court is unlikely to award the other side "thousands" in costs.

OP, if you feel very strongly about this, write to Evans Halshaw, pointing out your experience, what you were told by the staff, and asking for reimbursement. When you receive their reply, you can decide if you want to take it further.
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    Even if he loses, the court is unlikely to award the other side "thousands" in costs.

OP, if you feel very strongly about this, write to Evans Halshaw, pointing out your experience, what you were told by the staff, and asking for reimbursement. When you receive their reply, you can decide if you want to take it further.

I was thinking more of his legal costs, which aren;t going to be cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure