MMD: Should I let them bury the dog?

Options

Comments

• pennypinchUK
    Options
    Tell them they're welcome to bury the dog immediately upon exchange of contracts, but until then the pooch will have to be kept in cold storage, or formaldehyde if your buyer just happens to be Damien Hurst.
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    Tell them you will bury it but dont tell them where in the garden- incase the sale falls through and they try to dig it up !
  • Swirley
    Swirley Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I would have to politly refuse - what if the sale fell through?

When my Aunt moved into a new house, she dug up the garden to put in a pond. We found a dog skeleton complete with collar and lead. It still upsets me to this day.
    When life gives you lemons make lemonade. When life gives you chocolate......eat it! :rotfl:
  • Rich44_2
    Rich44_2 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ariba10 wrote: »
    How long has that been law?

It's not, you can (with permission) bury a deceased loved one in the garden as long as you own the property and a few other conditions are met, so if you can bury a person then i'm damn sure that you can bury a dog.

As for the original question the answer would be no for me, they can either cremate or arrange "storage" until contracts are exchanged
  • Rich44_2
    Rich44_2 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    jay.tyler wrote: »
    I believe that it was brought in early 2000s - supposedly for health reasons. I guess the government are still working out how they're going to stop wild animals dying willy Billy and perhaps are setting up a training program to teach them to go to the vet before popping off.

Just because something is wide spread doesn't mean it's legal! Look at DVD piracy!

Technically DVD piracy isn't illegal as unless you're selling them the police would not be involved and it would be a civil matter for breach of copyright ;)
  • tryfive
    tryfive Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    jay.tyler wrote: »
    This is for the reason that it is illegal to bury pets in your garden.

NOT TRUE!

If you own the property, and are looking to bury a pet which lived there, that's not too much of a issue. Far from it - it's pretty common practice.

BUT!
    If your looking at something more the lines of livestock (chickens, anyone?), you'd have more of a problem - you'd need to check with DEFRA or the Environment Agency.

You might want to suggest that they contact the Association of Private Pet Cemeteries and Crematoria (see http://www.appcc.org.uk ) and check the relevant legislation; see the DEFRA WWW site: Disposing of animal by-products: Legislation and enforcement ( http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/byproducts/legislation.htm )

Since they don't own the property (yet) though...
  • toasted-lion
    Options
    Rich44 wrote: »
    Technically DVD piracy isn't illegal as unless you're selling them the police would not be involved and it would be a civil matter for breach of copyright ;)

Among the most stupid posts I've ever read. Copyright theft is illegal. Just because the police wouldn't necessarily deal with the matter doesn't mean it's not illegal.
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ariba10 wrote: »
    There are a few been buried in our garden over the years.

(And no doubt there will be few more.)

I'm just curious if you're still talking about dogs :p
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    No!! No No No No
  • bjornfree
    bjornfree Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be inclined to consider this attachment to their deceased pet to be a sign of commitment on the prospective Buyer's part..It's unusual ..How far along is the purchase process on their side? It doesn't sound like they're simply dumping the dead dog on "Your" property,they want to have their pet buried where They're intending to live. If You're dubious,either discuss postponing the burial until after the deal is complete with them,or have them pay for the "Landscaping" of the spot that it's not an eyesore until you move out,with the condition of exhumation if the deal wouldn't go through..
    Ipoints 5392
    Pigsback Piggypoints 2250
    Nectar points 1400
    GFK TV Survey £5 Amazon voucher (Oct)Archerfish £3 (Paypal)
    Mylot £9 (Oct):beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport