Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Options

Comments

• lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JeffCG wrote: »
    Hello everyone!, I'm new to the site and i hope someone can help me. I found this forum some time ago while searching for deals with netbooks (in google) and already joined the competitions here :D but i found one i don't see in the Search results, and can't post it. How can i start posting in the boards?, should i PM the details to a moderator?, keep it to myself?:p Thanks in advance.

JeffCG

Hi :)

The first step is to go back to page one of this guide and read it. It tells you how to post comps, how to search to make sure they haven't already been posted, and lots of other useful stuff.
  • rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    Options
    snaplinks doesnt work with my new version of firefox boohoo
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • kitkat04
    Options
    i love this forum its great but i know other people use other comping sites can anyone recommend any?
    thanks
  • elver_man
    elver_man Posts: 20,787 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kitkat04 wrote: »
    i love this forum its great but i know other people use other comping sites can anyone recommend any?
    thanks

Welcome to forum,

You would be better asking this in the Competitions Discussion thread or in the Inn.

Most will say you dont need to use any other as MSE covers them all.
    Thoughts:

The surest sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't contacted us yet:D
    Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?
    Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others;) - Martin Luther King jr
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick question....I'm entering all these comps using my home number in the UK but I'm actually studying in Spain until July so what happens if (fingers crossed) I do win something and they try and phone me and either no one answers or mum says I'm not in? I'm guessing they wouldn't tell her that I had won something?
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone answer this for me? I don't want to be doing all this work for nothing? :confused:
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'd have probably got a better response if you had posted it in the comps discussion area.

If they do try and contact you by phone and they cant they might email you instead but some companies like absolute will just move on to the next person on the list. Not all companies phone to tell you you have won something though. In fact I have never had a phone call telling me I had won yet.
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • hannoja
    hannoja Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    Several users feel that MyFamilyUk is now a 'spammy' site. Could someone add it to the ones to be wary of in the guide please.
    Thanks.
  • BaldySlaphead
    Options
    10 How do you stop loads of junk mail coming via post to your door?
    Just be careful when completing the comp entry forms & make sure that you tick the correct opt out boxes. It can be tricky as some sites say things like “If you do not want to receive emails from this company then untick the box” so just make sure you read it carefully & if in doubt just post a reply on that comp thread & ask other MSE Compers for some guidance, we are a friendly bunch & will help each other out where we can.

The Mailing Preference Service is a great way to stop loads of junk mail. If you register with them they ensure your preference for no junk mail is known by Direct Mail companies. This is a free service for anyone to use, not just compers!

There is also The Telephone Preference Service again, free of charge to register, which can help cut out cold calling on your home & mobile phones. This is another free service & again, not just for compers! .

If you are recieving direct mail - which means mail sent to a named person, as opposed to junk mail, which is when the reciepient is not named - you can cite Section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

I have the following arsey, but legally binding, message set up as an autosig on any email comps I send:
    Please note: In line with S11 of the Data Protection Act 1998, I do not wish to receive any direct marketing materials as a consequence of entering this competition or have my details passed to any third parties except to any extent required for the administration of the competition. Failure to comply with this notice **as required by law** will result in a complaint to the Information Commissioner.
    The law is as follows:
    11 Right to prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing

(1) An individual is entitled at any time by noticein writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect of which he is the data subject.

Note: The data controller is the promoter of the comp. This request must be made in writing. "uch period as is reasonable" is undefined. Typically a month would be considered reasonable. Be aware that if your details have been sent on to 3rd parties, it could take another month before the cease request gets to them etc etc. The data subject is you.
    (2) If the court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1), that the data controller has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice as the court thinks fit.

Note: If the data controller fails to comply with your request to cease or not begin processing, he is in contempt of court. You would need to contact the Information Commissioner and detail your complaint. Don't expect a quick response!

(3) In this section “direct marketing” means the communication (by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals.

Note: Already covered above.
    2010 wins: David Attenborough's Life of Mammals book, Bigelf CD and T-shirt.
  • butterfly2001
    Options
    i know ive seen this somewhere but thought it would be quicker to ask again,,, is copying and pasting/ draging and dropping enough to remove the trace back to the forum?
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!:j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure