NO trickle vents in double glazing

I am experiencing some damp problems and through research have discovered that it is not rising damp or leaks but due to the nature of it 95% probability that it's caused by condensation within the house. I have double-glazing with wooden frames (These were installed prior to my arrival in the house) these do gather condensation on the inside; I suffer dampness on the walls. My research has informed me that I should have trickle vents in the frames, these don't exist!

My question is can I drill the holes to vent the windows myself and if so what diameter hole should I drill in the frames? My guess is 3 - 4 mm and if this is the case, where would I get a long enough drill bit as the frame is 8cm thick and when you take in the extra required for the angle most standard drill bits won't be long enough.

Suggestions please.
Thanks
don_ky01

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You could leave the window and drill a nice big hole through the wall instead and put a ventilation cover on both sides over the hole for neatness. esentially an 'air brick'

Only windows fitted after a certain date would be required to have trickle vents.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TimBuckTeeth
    TimBuckTeeth Posts: 521 Forumite
    I wouldn't just put some holes in the frame. Likely to get problems with water and wind noise. 3 or 4mm is too small to have much of an effect.

In my UPVC windows there is rain deflector grill cover on the outside and a cover with a shutter on the inside. A slot about 10mm high is cut through the frame, and a few inches long - as long as the cover.

Have a look to see if you can buy the covers/grills seperately then make a suitable slot. I would paint or varnish the inside of the slot to stop the wood rotting. Make sure the drill doesn't go anywhere near the edge of the glazing unit.

It might be easier to put a separate vent somewhere else as mentioned above.
    If you have bad condensation then it might be best to start with an extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom, and keep windows ajar, as trickle vents will only help a little.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,939 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I had windows fitted last week with no trickle vents. Instead the locking mechanism allows the windows to be locked when open a few millimeters.

All FENSA registered windows and installer, so perfectly legal.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • lizziloves
    lizziloves Posts: 15 Forumite
    You can buy retro-fit trickle vents but they probably wouldnt look too great.

You would probably be better off installing humidistat fans to kitchen and bathroom as they switch on when they humidity gets high.

You could also look at how you heat the rooms which suffer condensation (constant temperature is better than temperature fluctuations) and consider increasing your loft insulation if you dont have much. Schemes such as Warm Front and schemes run by energy providers can sometimes help with the cost if you meet qualifying criteria.
  • macduf
    macduf Posts: 95 Forumite
    ]I had windows fitted last week with no trickle vents. Instead the locking mechanism allows the windows to be locked when open a few millimeters.

All FENSA registered windows and installer, so perfectly legal.[/quote]

I am certain that you require Trickle Vents in all Habitable rooms.
    The locking Mechanism is not designed for purely that reason although it helps. When it is in "night lock" position there is a Leverage point for someone to open any Windows so it would not be a good idea to leave downstairs windows in this position. I would asuggest you to call your Planning dept for advice.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I had new windows put in by a Fensa registered installer and he said that he had no need to install trickle vents if the windows he was replacing did not have them.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I had new windows just over a year ago and specifically asked not to have them.

OP- If your house is that damp through condensation do you open your windows at all to ventiate, esp. in bathrooms and kitchens etc? I would get the matter investigated before doing anything.
  • Optimist wrote: »
    I had new windows put in by a Fensa registered installer and he said that he had no need to install trickle vents if the windows he was replacing did not have them.

This changed with an update to Approved Document Part F (Building Regulations) in 2010. Trickle ventilation is required even if the windows being replaced did not have them.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    'Optimist' posted that three years ago, why resurrect a three year old thread?
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2011 at 11:09PM
    elcappytan wrote: »
    This changed with an update to Approved Document Part F (Building Regulations) in 2010. Trickle ventilation is required even if the windows being replaced did not have them.

Building inspectors can NO longer insist on trickle vents , I should know I make windows for a living and please don't dig up threads that are 3 years old, it just clutters the place up... Why would you trawl through 3years of threads just to post on one about trickle vents?

Theres plenty of good reading all over the site you don't need to dig up old ones......... That is unless your going to post a website selling amazing trickle vents that don't let a gale in..;)

Also what exactly is the point of a trickle vent ? if its to create an air flow and to assist with making a room breathe why can they be closed ??... Ive yet to come across any house in 25 years of work where people have them open......Total waste of money time and effort.. and they look hideous too......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure