Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicky_boo
    • By nicky_boo 7th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 28Thanks
    nicky_boo
    Inheritance from overseas - do I need to pay tax?
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:00 PM
    Inheritance from overseas - do I need to pay tax? 7th Dec 17 at 12:00 PM
    Hi,

I have dual nationality but I am a UK resident. My parents were Turkish and they lived in Turkey. I have HSBC accounts here and in Turkey - opened them after my mother's death in 2014 and I transferred some inheritance money in 2016 from Turkey to here to pay some of my mortgage.

I recently lost my dad and there will be some inheritance when we sell his house. I would like to bring this money to the UK. It is not going to be a lot of money but I am a little worried as HMRC has sent me a letter last year asking me to come clean if I owe tax for the money coming from Turkey. I believed there wasn't as I only transferred the inheritance and not all of it and I didn't take any action after that letter.

To be honest, I don't even know who to contact or what help to get. Any advice will be appreciated as I don't want to get in trouble with HMRC.

Thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 7th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 4,443 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    You do not pay tax on your inheritance, but if HMRC don’t know the source of this cash they are entitled to ask the question.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 18,747 Posts
    • 14,445 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:31 PM
    If HMRC sent you a letter doesn't it tell you who you need to contact?
    • nicky_boo
    • By nicky_boo 7th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    nicky_boo
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    No, they don't tell me who to contact. It is a generic warning letter and pretty hopless really. It says contact a tax adviser. Also, there is a link to a general HMRC disclosure website. It is so frustrating as I cannot find any specific information anywhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

1,612Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin