Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 4th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 631Posts
    • 158Thanks
    mr_accountant
    Toto energy massive price increase
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    Toto energy massive price increase 4th Dec 17 at 10:40 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Update 13 December 17:

Thank you for your posts everyone. We've updated our news story:

Back to mr_accountant's original post...

----

received email this morning regarding Toto Energy price increase, for me from £954 to £1170, thats £216 increase. im already moving as the customer services is pants (thats being very kind). for everyone else check your prices
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Page 3
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 6th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    It's interesting to see how the increases appear to vary across the regions. The MSE news item linked above suggests that some rises are to be as much as 25 %.
    My current Gas Unit Rate is 2.48p per KWh. The new rate will be 3.50p per KWh. Now it's a while since I did my Maths O Level but I make that an increase of around 41 %.
    Despite that totally ridiculous and unjustifiable rise due to 'wholesale price increases', my biggest gripe (as I might have said ) is the contractual information provided in the welcome pack which included a "Price Guarantee for 12 months". Still awaiting some clarification.
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 6th Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    I have read the MSE comments highlighted by jackywacky, they are incorrect. In order to clarify for others the following is what happened when I took out a contract with Toto.

1. I was not looking for a variable tariff and whist I no longer have proof I am certain that on the MSE site the Discount Variable Saver tariff was listed as "fixed". This may have been an error by Toto or MSE I know not which, though I have my views on this!

2. When I received documentation from Toto I noticed the word variable and was concerned about this and said so on Toto's facebook page. In response to my comments I received a personal face book message from someone called Jack, who I have seen on this site.

3. The following are his exact words in answer to my question, I still have the message on my facebook account -

"In regards to your tariff the direct debit is variable not the tariff rates. Your tariff will be fixed for the year but your direct debit will be reviewed every 3 months to se if you're in debit/credit with us.
    Hope this clears up the situation a little!

Jack@Toto Energy

4. Clearly then Toto are saying the Discount Variable Saver tariff is fixed not variable. It seems to me that the company have got themselves in a mess here and that is why nobody can get a definitive answer from them.

5. I have already e-mailed Toto to say I am leaving and have instigated the switch procedure to another provider so it matters not to me what the eventual outcome is, but I write this note by way of clarification for others. I believe given this statement by their employee that I would have had a case for insisting they honour the remaining six months of my contract. However I would prefer to move on from a company that is so very difficult to contact, and if you do get through to one of them they have no idea how to answer your query. After almost six months I have never had a statement of any kind from them so I have no idea if my account is in credit or debit. I am now worried that they will make a mess of my switch of course.

Jammeister, if you look on the main forum there is a contact area where you can send a message to the MSE people, this is how I contacted Laura. I was delighted to receive a reply within hours and my account was opened so that I could process a switch. Laura also said MSE would look into the lack of cashback received from Toto. Hope this helps.

I hope this explanation of my experience helps, I doubt there is little more I can add at this stage.

Dave
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 6th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    Spelling
    I have read the MSE comments highlighted by jackywacky, they are incorrect. In order to clarify for others the following is what happened when I took out a contract with Toto.

1. I was not looking for a variable tariff and whist I no longer have proof I am certain that on the MSE site the Discount Variable Saver tariff was listed as "fixed". This may have been an error by Toto or MSE I know not which, though I have my views on this!

Dave
    Originally posted by Cornish Dave
    Dave, I had exactly the same experience. I have always sought to switch to a fixed contract and can't understand why I have ended up on a so called 'variable' contract without being duped into believing the price was guaranteed for 12 months. I would therefore be minded to corroborate your assertion that the tariff was listed as fixed.
    Last edited by h1ubs; 06-12-2017 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Spelling typo
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 6th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    This thread seems to be developing a possible mis-selling theme.

Let's investigate then.

Quick poll for people on the TOTO Discount Variable Saver tariff who now find themselves facing huge price increases.
    Please quote and answer question 1 just with a Yes or No.
    1. When you switched to TOTO via the MSE Cheap Energy Club, did you think the price quoted was guaranteed (i.e. fixed) for 12 months.
    2. Why did you think that ?
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 6th Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    1. Yes

2. That is what I applied for and Toto confirmed it was fixed.
    • Theta101
    • By Theta101 6th Dec 17, 9:55 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Theta101
    I didn't realise how tiny a company Toto actually are.
    No wonder they've increased the charges and have such a poor customer service and website.
    Why so many name changes and dissolved companies?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09256482/filing-history
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 6th Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    1. Yes

2. I was under the clear impression that the unit prices quoted were guaranteed for 12 months. I was searching to fix my energy prices and would not be interested in any tariff likely to increase over that term.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 7th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 21,140 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your posts. We've written a news story on it:

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-12-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • David Russell
    • By David Russell 7th Dec 17, 10:44 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    David Russell
    Toto Energy
    I did a quick calculation of what these price increases mean - 23.85% increase in Electric and 50.65% in Gas. When i initially researched my switch through Money Saving Expert it was called a fixed tariff - and still is when i go to my profile. That is not mentioned in any subsequent Toto communications. If there is indeed no price fix in this i feel that MSE have mis-represented the deal available.
    • David Russell
    • By David Russell 7th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    David Russell
    Toto Energy
    Dave, that is also my experience, i think that MSE have potentially mis represented the deal available from TOTO
    • jackywacky
    • By jackywacky 7th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jackywacky
    This thread seems to be developing a possible mis-selling theme.

Let's investigate then.

Quick poll for people on the TOTO Discount Variable Saver tariff who now find themselves facing huge price increases.
    Please quote and answer question 1 just with a Yes or No.
    1. When you switched to TOTO via the MSE Cheap Energy Club, did you think the price quoted was guaranteed (i.e. fixed) for 12 months.
    2. Why did you think that ?
    Originally posted by h1ubs

1 Yes
    2 Said so in Welcome Pack
    • Theta101
    • By Theta101 7th Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Theta101
    My Toto Increases 31% Projected
    Electricity Standing Charge From: 19.05 To: 24.77 Increase: 5.72 30.03 %
    Electricity Unit Rate From: 12.15 To: 13.74 Increase: 1.59 13.09 %

Gas Standing Charge From: 20.00 To: 21.90 Increase: 1.90 9.50 %
    Gas Unit Rate From: 2.29 To: 3.38 Increase: 1.09 47.60 %

Projected Yearly Cost From: £924 To: £1,213 Increase: £289 31.28 %
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 7th Dec 17, 2:39 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    just to balance this out despite my problems with Toto (i joined in may 2017) when i joined via MSE CEC did clearly say it was a variable tariff and prices can change, clue in the name 'Toto discount variable saver', and it was the 12 months contract which was fixed, therefore i don't think Toto have done anything wrong, though i have checked my welcome pack and sure enough it does say price guaranteed until 12/5/18, but i think its a misprint, how can a variable tariff be fixed, a bit of a contradiction in terms .

all being well ill be joining new comapny next week (i was already going to leave prior to price increase) and good riddance to Toto
    • D & G Hilton
    • By D & G Hilton 8th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    D & G Hilton
    TOTO are in breach of contract!
    The Tariff details we received (in a pdf attached to their Welcome email) when we switched to TOTO w.e.f. o2 May 2017 were crystal clear (their choice of wording)!:
    Tariff end on: 01 May 2018
    Price guaranteed until: 01 May 2018
    There is NO mention on this sheet of a right to vary these GUARANTEED prices during the stated period, so this forms the basis of the contract between us. It doesn't matter what they call the Tariff, they are bound by the terms they set out.
    TOTO can't , in my opinion (as a retired Solicitor) rely on any 'small print' hidden in their terms and conditions to vary these specific terms - they gave an unqualified cast-iron guarantee here to hold these prices for a fixed period - no 'ifs' or 'buts' - so they are in breach of contract.
    Needless to say, we are leaving these clowns, switching to TOTO was a big mistake, the admin has been absolutely hopeless, and we have also been repeatedly pressured with nuisance calls and even an unannounced visit to accept a 'smart meter' against our stated wishes (even told, wrongly, it was compulsory!!) - that complaint is now with the Energy Ombudsman! TOTO will have to learn the hard way!
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 8th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your posts. We've written a news story on it:

Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Thanks Andrea and MSE, but you seem to be missing the point. The actual developing news STORY is not the ridiculous and unjustifiable price rises but the fact that customers were guaranteed their prices for 12 months. As yet they don't appear to have a response to the confused situation .. hopefully senior management and their lawyers will come clean soon.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 8th Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    S0litaire
    *Checks Pre-Payment meter*
    Nope I'm still on the tariff I signed up for in March.
    And I've not received any letter about a price increase.

Anyone know if it's just the credit tariffs that's affected?
    Just read the article. Ignore me
    Last edited by S0litaire; 08-12-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 8th Dec 17, 10:21 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Michaelw
    It's interesting to see how the increases appear to vary across the regions. The MSE news item linked above suggests that some rises are to be as much as 25 %.
    My current Gas Unit Rate is 2.48p per KWh. The new rate will be 3.50p per KWh. Now it's a while since I did my Maths O Level but I make that an increase of around 41 %.
    Despite that totally ridiculous and unjustifiable rise due to 'wholesale price increases', my biggest gripe (as I might have said ) is the contractual information provided in the welcome pack which included a "Price Guarantee for 12 months". Still awaiting some clarification.
    I was with them briefly.Like all new suppliers they undercut on price comparision to build a customer base then because of "market factors and conditions" much like Robin Hood the price hikes are well into the double figures.

For me the price savings were practically nothing over British Gas on prepayment tariffs.At least British Gas do answer the phone.
    • jrh2254
    • By jrh2254 9th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jrh2254
    Thanks Andrea and MSE, but you seem to be missing the point. The actual developing news STORY is not the ridiculous and unjustifiable price rises but the fact that customers were guaranteed their prices for 12 months. As yet they don't appear to have a response to the confused situation .. hopefully senior management and their lawyers will come clean soon.
    Agree we need the lawyers to tell us how they can claim my price guarantee to 2nd May 2018 can be changed , whether TOTO call it a 'variable' tariff or not.
    Seems bizarre that I could potentially be charged an early exit fee (£10 for each fuel , so £20 in total, when they change the price!). I don't want a waiver on the exit fees , I want the price guarantee until 2nd May 2018.
    We should be taking this to the Energy Ombudsman.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,650 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    Hengus
    Agree we need the lawyers to tell us how they can claim my price guarantee to 2nd May 2018 can be changed , whether TOTO call it a 'variable' tariff or not.
    Seems bizarre that I could potentially be charged an early exit fee (£10 for each fuel , so £20 in total, when they change the price!). I don't want a waiver on the exit fees , I want the price guarantee until 2nd May 2018.
    We should be taking this to the Energy Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by jrh2254
    It is not an Ombudsman issue as to date no one has been financially disadvantaged, as far as I can tell, from the above posts. I suggest that it is more properly an issue for the Regulator to adjudicate on.

It would make sense for all those affected to e-mail consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk with copies of their Welcome Letter and other supporting evidence.
    • Laugh & Be Happy
    • By Laugh & Be Happy 9th Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Laugh & Be Happy
    Poor From Start to Finish!
    Toto,

Your customer service line is appalling, i could never get through first time and when i received a call back it was 4 hours later and i didn't have the details i wanted to discuss. Total waste of time!

I applied to switch to your company from BG on the 23 Aug 2017, my electricity changed over in Sept (happy) however my gas didn't switch over until 26 November. During the gas switch i was paying BG and Toto at the same time! Seriously not good, AVOID at all costs!

To top it off, Toto hike their prices without real justification, for that reason "I'm out!

I have informed Toto that i will be switching, a condition you must do before before 03 Jan 18 if you wish to avoid exit fees.

Breeze energy, here i come!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,621Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin