Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Savingsbythebell
    • By Savingsbythebell 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 135Thanks
    Savingsbythebell
    Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?
    • 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out? 28th Jun 17 at 11:33 AM
    Apparently, they are gone already! I managed to buy a Mini Nes last time but didn't try for this one. Did anyone have any luck?
    Life's all about dem rich teas biscuits
Page 6
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 2nd Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I have had kids in a party be really addicted to playing on retropie.

Snes era games are very enjoyable, not everyone is addicted to the latest 3d graphics.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    I agree - some platform games can be fun
    As are other retro games - I remember playing Missile Command and Defender back in the early 80's for hours
    • takman
    • By takman 2nd Dec 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    takman
    Also another way of looking at it is someone can buy this for their kid, they got a console "and" 20 games for £80, which is far better value than any modern console.
    But you can't compare it to a modern console which are far more advanced than this.

If you wanted to buy something for a kid then a £50 android tablet would be far better and even if you ignore all the other features and just look at games. You can get thousands of games, lots of which are far better than any game on the Mini SNES. You also have the advantage of being able to play them without connecting it to a TV.
    You could even run an emulator on it and have every SNES game ever and use a bluetooth SNES controller.

Even if you wanted it for nostalgia value I personally would rather get an original one than this copy.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 2nd Dec 17, 11:57 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I have had kids in a party be really addicted to playing on retropie.

Snes era games are very enjoyable, not everyone is addicted to the latest 3d graphics.
    And not all the latest games are '3D graphics' either, I find most kids these days are frequently interested in their tablet games and those who are interested in Nintendo have chosen the Wii U or Switch over the SNES and played some of the newer titles (including the 2D ones) in preference.

John
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Dec 17, 7:53 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    But you can't compare it to a modern console which are far more advanced than this.

If you wanted to buy something for a kid then a £50 android tablet would be far better and even if you ignore all the other features and just look at games. You can get thousands of games, lots of which are far better than any game on the Mini SNES. You also have the advantage of being able to play them without connecting it to a TV.
    You could even run an emulator on it and have every SNES game ever and use a bluetooth SNES controller.

Even if you wanted it for nostalgia value I personally would rather get an original one than this copy.
    Originally posted by takman
    The value is on the fun, not the advancement of the technology.
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    takman
    The value is on the fun, not the advancement of the technology.
    So how is it more fun to pay £80 for a console which only has 21 games when you can pay less and get every SNES game ever. Years ago when I got a PSP which was cheaper than this I put an emulator on it and has every NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive game on it plus some PS1 games. I could get an Android powered device which plugs into a TV with SNES controllers and every SNES game for less than £80.

You said this console would be good for kids but I can guarantee any one of the other options I have mentioned would be more fun for them because there would be far more than 21 games.

Also you do realise these systems are running on more advanced technology than the original, they are similar to the emulators I mention but just with a fancy case.

So exactly how is 21 games for £80 more fun than all the games ever realised for less money?.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 4th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    How much are they worth then ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I'm confused why you appear to be offended on Nintendos behalf by my posts? That console is "worth" maybe £50 tops. Anybody paying more than £80 is getting a very very poor deal and this is a MONEY SAVING EXPERT forum. Not a "we love Nintendo" place.
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 4th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I'm confused why you appear to be offended on Nintendos behalf by my posts? That console is "worth" maybe £50 tops. Anybody paying more than £80 is getting a very very poor deal and this is a MONEY SAVING EXPERT forum. Not a "we love Nintendo" place.
    Originally posted by Greatorex1987
    Right- so (in your opinion) it is not a bargain
    Live with it and don't buy one !!
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 5th Dec 17, 5:54 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    So how is it more fun to pay £80 for a console which only has 21 games when you can pay less and get every SNES game ever. Years ago when I got a PSP which was cheaper than this I put an emulator on it and has every NES, SNES and Sega Mega Drive game on it plus some PS1 games. I could get an Android powered device which plugs into a TV with SNES controllers and every SNES game for less than £80.

You said this console would be good for kids but I can guarantee any one of the other options I have mentioned would be more fun for them because there would be far more than 21 games.

Also you do realise these systems are running on more advanced technology than the original, they are similar to the emulators I mention but just with a fancy case.

So exactly how is 21 games for £80 more fun than all the games ever realised for less money?.
    Bear in mind one option is legal and the other is not.

I do own a pi3 which has retropie on it. But its not an official product.
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 5th Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    Right- so (in your opinion) it is not a bargain
    Live with it and don't buy one !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I HAVE ONE. Did you not read my earlier posts properly that you decided to comment on???????
    "Wild Pikachu appeared!"
    • Crazy Jamie
    • By Crazy Jamie 6th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Crazy Jamie

Of course the other major difference is that they are legal, whereas the emulators that you are talking about are not. You might as well be arguing that people shouldn't buy DVDs or Blu Rays because you can buy an android box and put Kodi on it, which gives you every film ever made for less money.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    takman
    Bear in mind one option is legal and the other is not.

I do own a pi3 which has retropie on it. But its not an official product.
    Of course the other major difference is that they are legal, whereas the emulators that you are talking about are not. You might as well be arguing that people shouldn't buy DVDs or Blu Rays because you can buy an android box and put Kodi on it, which gives you every film ever made for less money.
    Originally posted by Crazy Jamie
    The legality is a good point to bring up. Firstly to be clear emulators are not illegal in any way and using them to play games you own is not illegal, e.g. running a PS1 game on a PC.

But yes downloading the Rom's for games you don't own is illegal. But from a moral point of view i'm happy to do this considering you cannot buy most of these games anymore from new. There is no way you can get hold of a copy of most of these games legally where the money will go to the right people.
    So your comparison to buying DVD's or Blu Rays is flawed because they are easily obtainable from new. The majority of films, even old ones can still be legally bought.
    • Crazy Jamie
    • By Crazy Jamie 6th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Crazy Jamie
    The legality is a good point to bring up. Firstly to be clear emulators are not illegal in any way and using them to play games you own is not illegal, e.g. running a PS1 game on a PC.
    Correct. Nor, to borrow from my own example, is Kodi illegal, it just so happens that it is widely used to enable piracy.
    But yes downloading the Rom's for games you don't own is illegal. But from a moral point of view i'm happy to do this considering you cannot buy most of these games anymore from new. There is no way you can get hold of a copy of most of these games legally where the money will go to the right people.
    So your comparison to buying DVD's or Blu Rays is flawed because they are easily obtainable from new. The majority of films, even old ones can still be legally bought.
    by takman
    Whilst you're correct that most retro games are not obtainable from new, many are available readily either on the second hand market, digitally through the Nintendo store/virtual console or similar, or indeed now in products such as the mini SNES, so to my mind the only reason why you would download entire libraries of games, as you have done, is because you didn't want to pay to source those games legally and didn't think you'd get caught. I'm not judging you for that, because many other people have done the same, but what it does mean is that debating the value for money from one legal option and one illegal option is a faulty comparison, which was the point of the discussion in this thread.
    Last edited by Crazy Jamie; 06-12-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 6th Dec 17, 11:59 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    takman I understand where you coming from to a degree, but the argument is now weaker as there is now a product on the market that comes with 20 of the games, which is the mini snes. Its value from a sales pricepoint shouldnt be compared to something that is not a legal means to acquire the equivalent games.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    takman
    Correct. Nor, to borrow from my own example, is Kodi illegal, it just so happens that it is widely used to enable piracy.
    Whilst you're correct that most retro games are not obtainable from new, many are available readily either on the second hand market, digitally through the Nintendo store/virtual console or similar, or indeed now in products such as the mini SNES,
    From my experience only a very small selection of games are available by legal means as a new purchase. Games are available second hand but that doesn't benefit the original creators/publishers of the game by buying them.

so to my mind the only reason why you would download entire libraries of games, as you have done, is because you didn't want to pay to source those games legally and didn't think you'd get
    caught.
    Actually the reason i downloaded every game onto an emulator was just because they were easily available and such a small file size that i thought i might as well get them all.
    The consoles that i played when i was young were the Sega Megadrive, Dreamcast and PS1. I still have all of them and all the games for them so if i ever fancy replaying them then i much prefer to play them on the original console.

But i'm not against people who want to download these old games to play on emulators.

I'm not judging you for that, because many other people have done the same, but what it does mean is that debating the value for money from one legal option and one illegal option is a faulty comparison, which was the point of the discussion in this thread.
    takman I understand where you coming from to a degree, but the argument is now weaker as there is now a product on the market that comes with 20 of the games, which is the mini snes. Its value from a sales pricepoint shouldnt be compared to something that is not a legal means to acquire the equivalent games.
    As it is a modern re-release of an old console then i think it's fair to compare it to something similar today. Such as an Android Tablet/Device as i mentioned above which will have thousands of free games available legally and can be bought for less than £50, with many platform games similar to the ones available on the SNES.

Obviously with the SNES mini you get a collectible value and a design value due to it being developed by Nintendo and designed to look similar to the original. But from a purely entertainment value i don't think it's worth £80. I've seen similar devices in the past which plug into a TV and have a selection of games on them for a price much lower. Your just paying £80 for the name and the design.
    • Silly Worms
    • By Silly Worms 7th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Silly Worms
    If anybody is till after one they are in stock at Amazon.de for €99.99 or there's Tesco Direct, but their stock comes and goes throughout the day at £79-99. With them it seems to be pot luck if you time it right though they do have a "stock informer" which I have never tried personally.

I seriously debated one of these and have had opportunities to buy but decided it's not for me. As others have already said, for the sake of one or two sadly-missed games I would rather either stick to the XBone/PS4 for serious gaming or Android for a huge choice which is either free or of negligible cost. As in the post above, even at £80 I think comparatively it is expensive for what it is.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I guess I am not very lucky.

over 20 sold in last 24 hours alone and all higher than my asking price, but no one brought mine so had to relist.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 12th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    If anybody is till after one they are in stock at Amazon.de for €99.99 or there's Tesco Direct, but their stock comes and goes throughout the day at £79-99. With them it seems to be pot luck if you time it right though they do have a "stock informer" which I have never tried personally.

I seriously debated one of these and have had opportunities to buy but decided it's not for me. As others have already said, for the sake of one or two sadly-missed games I would rather either stick to the XBone/PS4 for serious gaming or Android for a huge choice which is either free or of negligible cost. As in the post above, even at £80 I think comparatively it is expensive for what it is.
    Originally posted by Silly Worms
    I dont know how stock can "come and go" is someone drip feeding new stock a couple at a time or something? This entire launch has just been weird with how the stock has been.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,621Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin