12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Comments

• I'm still kinda plodding along, waiting for my 20 weeks scan. 13 days and counting - it seems to be taking FOREVER!

With regards paternity leave, my OH will have two weeks full pay and then is taking 2 weeks holiday after that as well.

I am self-employed, so won't get maternity pay - and I won't actually even get much, if any, maternity allowance. We are lucky that we are able to live on his wage anyway. I will take maybe the same 4 weeks off and then start back slowly. I can't take TOO much time as my two busiest periods are summer and Christmas. He will be there to be able to look after the baby while I am seeing clients in the morning/during the day and then I'll have the baby late afternoon onwards, when he goes to work. It should work out quite well for us.
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How's everyone keeping? Hope you are all well.

Not long back from a weekend in London, and gosh am I glad to be back. I love London but it was just so tiring. Bump finally popped out, it just came out of nowhere. Got to see some of the buggies I'd been looking at online which was a bonus. All the shops up here seem to have the same ones.

20 week scan tomorrow so I'm looking forward to having another peek at him. Been desperate for another look since my 16 week scan tbf.
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    That's exciting April! Hope all goes well tomorrow!

We also got another peek today, and he was much more cooperative than 10 days ago so we managed to get all the head and face measurements. Lovely to see him again!

I accidentally burst into tears at work today. We're trying to sort out my annual leave for next year and it feels like no one is willing to give any sensible answers and that I am hurting their heads by taking 12 months that coincides with the annual leave year. I was a bit upset by how some of the potential solutions were put to me. Had a good chat with supervisor later, and hopefully we can move forward but I've been frustrated that both me and OH feel we've had to swot up on the employment law around it. I work for a huge organisation, this shouldn't be that complicated.
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    April is this the first time you've really felt like you have a bump? I'm 14+3 with my first and I still don't have one. I'm hoping it's just a bit too early. I'm tall, and my stomach wasn't the flattest before so hopefully there's still a baby growing in there!
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    Ratison since about 14 weeks or so I've just felt chubby. Stomach wasn't flat anymore but I didn't really have any shape to it. First time I've really felt/noticed a bump. Some woman asked if I was pregnant on the tube too which reconfirmed that it did look more of a bump now then not. So yeah I wouldn't worry, easier said then done I know. I've seen my baby a few times now and with the lack of symptoms I still wonder whether there is actually someone growing in there or not :rotfl:

Penguin glad to hear he was more cooperative this time round. As you said you would expect a large organisation to have a better way to deal with maternity that occurs during a leave year. I hope you get some better suggestions soon and they are put to you in the manner you would expect. It also can't hurt to read up on employment laws regarding it just to be on the safe side.
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Ratison just delurking to day don't worry - I honestly didn't properly show til around 24 weeks and even then baggy stuff hid it. I came back from 20 week scan and people assumed I'd had my 12 week scan not 20!

No hiding it at 32 weeks though, make the most of the time where you can still put your shoes on ;)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    I know what you all mean about not being totally sure there is actually anyone in there, although, first baby and now 16 weeks and I definitely popped out a bit last week.
  • poddle911
    poddle911 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    April, enjoy the scan today! I think we must have similar due dates - mine is tomorrow. I'm super excited (slash nervous) but can't wait to see what's happening. It feels like ages since the 12 week scan.

I feel like it's only been in the last couple of weeks that there is no doubt that I look pregnant. My belly button is definitely starting to feel it :rotfl:

My favourite thing this week is sleep bras and maternity leggings, I never want to wear anything else again. Haha Cats, one of my friends recommended getting some slip on trainers/shoes which she said were brilliant when she was huge and also to put on when you're carrying a newborn and trying to get out of the house!

Penguin, really hope that your company come up with some adequate responses soon. I thought large orgs with HR departments would be really on top of this kind of thing!
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    Poddle- I've been wearing my rowing kit leggings a lot for around the house/ dog walks etc, saving the two pairs of suitable maternity trousers for actually going out in public.... Still just about getting away with those rather than buying separate ones.

I have 16 week midwife next week although I'll be 17 weeks then as they moved me forward at scan
  • poddle911
    poddle911 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Yep, I spent a lot of time in my Lululemon gym leggings before - which are amazing, but not MSE so I thought I better replace them with something cheap and cheerful!

Arbrighton - if you're indeed in Brighton (I am too), which midwife/hospital are you with? No worries if you'd prefer not to say! I was 17 weeks at mine too - really great to have a chat with the midwife and hear the heartbeat again :)
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport