CASHMYGOLD Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• I sent off about 300grams worth of mixed gold items. I received a cheque for £24. As requested I contacted them and asked to have my gold returned. Shortly after I received a call saying that they could now offer me £58! I said no I wanted my gold back - of course you have to return the cheque first. This was on 4 November. It is now 20 November and no sign of anything. I have emailed again. I accept that some of the items might only have been gold plated but what was definitely gold was worth more than that.
  • Thrifty_Ruby
    Thrifty_Ruby Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 November 2009 at 4:12PM
    Hi All,

I am really worried after reading your stories! My Mum ordered me a bag from this company by mistake! I sent my gold yesterday & am now in a panic! The stuff weighed 40g (50g with post bag) it wasn't just broken stuff but 2 rings & a necklace & earrings all intact. I phoned the FREEphone number & was told that they couldn't tell me what they were paying per gram as it was a different department! I have tracked the parcel & its not been picked up/delivered yet! What should I do? I asked them if they phoned you with the offer & she said no, they just send a cheque & you can return it if you are not happy.... I thought I would get £200-240 I now am sick with worry......

Debsx
    ****Everything comes to those who wait......it just seems like I have been waiting forever!****
  • Hi All,

I am really worried after reading your stories! My Mum ordered me a bag from this company by mistake! I sent my gold yesterday & am now in a panic! The stuff weighed 40g (50g with post bag) it wasn't just broken stuff but 2 rings & a necklace & earrings all intact. I phoned the FREEphone number & was told that they couldn't tell me what they were paying per gram as it was a different department! I have tracked the parcel & its not been picked up/delivered yet! What should I do? I asked them if they phoned you with the offer & she said no, they just send a cheque & you can return it if you are not happy.... I thought I would get £200-240 I now am sick with worry......

Debsx

Hi All,

Have just received a cheque from this company for £37.52 for at least 35g of gold :eek::eek: I am so angry! One pair of earrings I sent weighed 5g alone & as the gold price was £8.19 yesterday that wouldn't even cover what they were worth let alone the rest. There was no weight to gold price ratio so god only knows what they were working this offer out on! I have spoken to them & they say they will return the gold within 7-10 working days! Funny how they can get a cheque out in 18hrs but it takes that long to return the gold! Now I have to wait & hope that they will return the items :( so no extra christmas money for me!

Debs x
    ****Everything comes to those who wait......it just seems like I have been waiting forever!****
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Hi All,

Have just received a cheque from this company for £37.52 for at least 35g of gold :eek::eek: I am so angry! One pair of earrings I sent weighed 5g alone & as the gold price was £8.19 yesterday that wouldn't even cover what they were worth let alone the rest. There was no weight to gold price ratio so god only knows what they were working this offer out on! I have spoken to them & they say they will return the gold within 7-10 working days! Funny how they can get a cheque out in 18hrs but it takes that long to return the gold! Now I have to wait & hope that they will return the items :( so no extra christmas money for me!

Debs x

Sure it will be under valued - that is how they make money.
    But 5g of earings, is not 5g of gold.
  • Viper_7 wrote: »
    Sure it will be under valued - that is how they make money.
    But 5g of earings, is not 5g of gold.

How do they work out the weight of the gold then? Two members of my family have recently used another company who paid out the full market value per g....they sent 30g of gold & were paid for 30g of gold!

Dx
  • timmmers
    timmmers Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A girl I know sent her items to these people, got a loony offer..got the stuff back weeks later (under insured to hell which is dodgy alone)....took it into a jeweler in town and got 5 times the value in CASH instantly...AND was told that one item was far too good to sell as scrap and should go to auction 0or they would sell it for her for 10% in their window).

Why go to all the risks and effort when it's much easier to do in person and will get a far better price ...AND you can try a few jewelers to get more like that if you like?

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • timmmers wrote: »
    A girl I know sent her items to these people, got a loony offer..got the stuff back weeks later (under insured to hell which is dodgy alone)....took it into a jeweler in town and got 5 times the value in CASH instantly...AND was told that one item was far too good to sell as scrap and should go to auction 0or they would sell it for her for 10% in their window).

Why go to all the risks and effort when it's much easier to do in person and will get a far better price ...AND you can try a few jewelers to get more like that if you like?

t

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! If I had of checked on here first I would never have sent it! All I can do now is keep my fingers crossed that I will get it back & then try again!

Dx
  • timmmers
    To be honest, you'd see the TV ad and assume it's got to be decent wouldn't you?
    I'm surprised it's allowed really. My old mum would fall for this so easily as would many vulnerable pensioners strapped for cash.

t
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • timmmers
    How do they work out the weight of the gold then? Two members of my family have recently used another company who paid out the full market value per g....they sent 30g of gold & were paid for 30g of gold!

Dx

Different purity of gold means dofferent amounts of gold per gram...9 carat has much less than 18 carat in gold content. Some items are made completely of gold (whatever carat) and some have mixtures of different carats because the more gold there is in the metal the softer it gets so it's not great for catches and sings like that if they are fine work.

You would have to find the carat and then how much per gram for that purity. Hard if it's a mix.

This is a helpful tool to check (roughly) how much each type will be worth. It's a company site but better than a packet lost in the post :p
    http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/index.aspx

t
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure