Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 2 - Groundhog Day

Good evening everyone, and hello to anyone looking at this who hasn't seen or heard from me before. About this time last year I finally plucked up the courage to join in with the forums after months of lurking. I was almost finished paying off a lot of debt, and one of my crazy cats had just stung me with a large vet bill that I was worried about paying (think 4 figure sum). Well, the lovely people on here helped me through - I paid using an emergency credit card, which I paid off in just over 2 months.
After that my life went on in the usual way it does - never a quiet moment. My husband got sick with depression, I paid the debt off a couple of months early thanks to tips on here and extreme frugality and then the week before Christmas dh was admitted to hospital. It was a tough time, no lie but we worked through it and after 6 months off work he went back. Then things came to a head between us and we had a really tough time that I didn't think we were going to get through, but we did. Then dh went and broke his ankle - another 8 weeks off work, which he's just gone back to this week. I will moan about him lots, but I love him dearly and wouldn't want to be without him.
So apart from dh I have dd (11) and ds (7) and 6 lovely moggies. I work as a science teacher in a secondary school and have just finished one of the toughest school years that I can remember. I was looking forward to feet up, relaxing and spending a bit of time with the kids - I've spent the past 6 weeks exam marking to try and give us enough money to enjoy the summer, but unfortunately much of it has gone to make up the shortfall in dh wages.
The naughty tortie cat, who brought me here last year has been to the vet again. She needed some dental treatment. I don't have her insured any more because every time she was ill or something happened, her insurance just refused to pay out. So I've been squirrelling away a little bit of money to try and pay for anything that came up. Well, today's bill 'came up' at a shade under £500. :eek: It's gone on that emergency credit card that I haven't used since last year and the aim is to pay that off again asap.
I've lost my mse mojo while I've been wrapped up in end of term stress and exam marking and this bill has been the jolt I've needed to make a fresh start. So fresh start, fresh diary, and away we go.
Please do pop in and say hello - I hate to think that I'm talking to myself.:rotfl:

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    So, first thing I need to do is to set myself some goals that are realistic.
    These are:
    :D stick with the daily thread and posting on here
    :D PAD every single day without fail - no matter how small
    :D get this £500 paid off asap
    :D stop overspending on groceries and eating out
    :D try and be a little kinder to myself if I possibly can
    I will come back and remind myself of this when I'm struggling for one reason or another.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    So, today really has been more of the same. Started well, but went downhill and now is ok again.
    After ds saga with the crisps yesterday, he got up today absolutely determined that he was going to be good. And he was, for a while. After dh had gone to work me and the kids went for a walk in the park to collect pokemon and ds saw an apparently 'abandoned' football which he wanted to bring home. I wasn't convinced that the ball was abandoned so the whole thing quickly degenerated into mayhem - with him accusing me of not loving him and wanting him to leave home. We ended up in a stand off which I eventually won, but it took a while...
    Finished crocheting my first baby blanket - someone wants me to make 5 for them... so that will keep me busy for a bit. I also want to make quite a bit of stuff for Christmas pressies this year as well - think that might be a dream too far though because I'm generally so time poor. We shall see.
    Then took dd to cheer and went to collect the naughty tortie, who cost an eyewatering £496.77 :eek: After having to make up a £550 shortfall this month thanks to dh lost wages and also paying out for a couple of short breaks for us to enjoy - my exam money is all but gone. This means that the vet bill had to go on the credit card. So I'm in just about the same position as I was last year. Off the mse wagon, short of cash and with a bit of debt that I want to clear.
    So, time for a fresh start.... I need to get myself back on the wagon again and be in the same position that I was last year rather than in the mess I've gotten myself into the past couple of months. It starts now
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Happy new diary Cat x
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Perhaps next year save £500 ready for the July cat bill ;-)
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Shiny new diary :T

You've done it before and know you'll be able to do it again :D
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Morning ccl, happy shiny new diary!

Poor naughty tortie, and poor you - she def seems to cause you worries. Hope ds is a little better behaved today - the last thing you need is stand offs everyday when you've been so looking forward to the summer. Fingers crossed for you :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all :hello:
    Lovely to see people over here already. I'm tired this morning - up and out at half seven for my morning training session.
    No real plans for the day but when I say I'm having a quiet day it doesn't normally work like that. I got home, ds was up and watching tv. He's already asked for crisps and chocolate... could be a long day but I'm not giving up. He's also asked to go pokemon hunting...
    Got home, made breakfast, washed dishes and went in the shower. Now catching up on here then planning a day of rest and relaxation to some extent. I need to sort finances and look into making extra cash because the thought of putting that bill on the credit card makes me feel a bit sick. I've already transferred £69.02 to my cc and looking for more... :D
    Have a good day everyone.
  • Where has the time gone.. a year!

A new diary always brings positivity :j

I know I shouldnt laugh at your DS antics but I did give a secret smile.. only because I love crisps too !!! :D

You are so tenacious you will have that vet bill slashed in no time - good luck :money:
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Happy new diary CCL!

You'll soon get that CC slashed.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • Happy new diary! Hope you're enjoying the summer hols xx
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
This discussion has been closed.