Student daughter & boyfriend whats fair to ask in housekeeping?

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why does she need a loan if she's living at home with her parents? She'll have no rent to pay... unless mum is keen to take rent out of the loan money :(

I do see your point re. the boyfriend. He should be showering and having meals at his own home or inviting your daughter round there sometimes.

Travel to uni, textbooks etc are free?
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Text books are often limited in the library, so I ended up buying my own copies of some things. I have had free transport.

£75 a week with no board should be managable though...depending on whether she will run a car?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Jackieboy wrote: »
    As an adult, what's she going to use to pay for her food, utilities, transport, books, equipment, phone, clothes, toiletries etc? She's not going to be able to pay for all that on a £75pw part time job.

ETA

And, of course, some kind of social life.

food - she lives at home, so no need to buy food
    utilities - ditto, still living with parents so no bills (unless mum chooses to bill her, or effectively the SLC/the taxpayer)
    transport can be paid for out of a part time job, as can a £5 per month giffgaff phone allowance. Clothes and toiletries, too.

The only possible expense would be textbooks and equipment (depending on what course she's doing) but there's no way she'd need £6000 per year for that!! And you can get 2nd hand textbooks quite easily online.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Second hand textbooks depend on the subject. For some subjects there are new editions every year or so, and the old editions are useless.

My 16 year old attending sixth form college needs money for food, so an adult out all day at university definitely does. It's unreasonable to expect them to take pack ups every day and be limited to only what the parent buys.

£6000 per annum is a pretty small amount to live on even with a top up job so I'd be amazed if she could manage on much less. My full grant when I was at university 30 years ago was £6k and prices have gone up a lot since then (admittedly I did have to pay accommodation out of this too) but I still didn't live a life of luxury as a student.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    utilities - ditto, still living with parents so no bills
    (unless mum chooses to bill her, or effectively the SLC/the taxpayer)
    transport can be paid for out of a part time job, as can a £5 per month giffgaff phone allowance. Clothes and toiletries, too.

The only possible expense would be textbooks and equipment (depending on what course she's doing) but there's no way she'd need £6000 per year for that!! And you can get 2nd hand textbooks quite easily online.

I really don't see why a parent should be expected to feed an adult living at home, particularly as she's already said money's going to be an issue, her share of utilities as well. She's already having to put up with another adult living in her home which is more than many of us would do.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I considered supplying board and lodgings to my children at UNI as my contribution to supporting them with their education.

The only household expense they had to pay was their telephone calls, which they had been doing for several years already.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Full time students don't qualify for passported benefits though other than in very exceptional circumstances. So whilst JSA is around 2/3 of the student loan it comes with an entitlement to lots of other benefits and doesn't have to be paid back when you start earning again.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    sheramber wrote: »
    I considered supplying board and lodgings to my children at UNI as my contribution to supporting them with their education.

The only household expense they had to pay was their telephone calls, which they had been doing for several years already.

I think that's fair enough of your children don't get the full loan based on your income but if you're on a low enough income for them to get the full loan then I think they should contribute out of it.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    utilities - ditto, still living with parents so no bills

I lived at home during Uni and wouldn't have dreamed of paying nothing for 3 years to help my Mum out! If you're 18/19/20 years old and have a 2/3k loan you should be paying board, she'd be paying a heck of a lot if she was living in halls.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    utilities - ditto, still living with parents so no bills (unless mum chooses to bill her, or effectively the SLC/the taxpayer)

Oh do uni students get free food tokens then?
    Do uni students get free tokens for utilities?
    Depending on the course part time work isn't possible and in many cases doesn't cover the basics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure