PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• Following my bedroom clear up I have decluttered the following today:

Ditch 100 in January
    13. Some old memorabilia – to put in scrapbook and rest chucked
    14. Cleared handbag drawer – 2 for charity shop box
    15. Suitcase emptied of clutter – put in loft (the suitcase - not the clutter!)
    16. 9 pictures – put up in bedroom!
    17. A black bag of random rubbish, some more bits for CS and for car boot collected!
    18. Unpacked new rug and put on floor now that there's space to do so!

Am not going to list every single little item that I chucked out!
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    15. Christmas twigs - green bin (Someone's going to get sparkly compost)
    16. Christmas cake board - card recycling
    17. 2x carriers of cans/tins/paper ro recycling as my black box is full

Also decluttered lots of labrador and DS energy on a long walk by the river, and a few mummy brain cobwebs. Gorgeous day.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Can I join in too? Ds in back to school tomorrow after 2 weeks off and house is like a bomb site with all Xmas toys plus all his old stuff etc. Also every cupboard/spare spot is full of stuff - so new year resolution is to get decluttered!
    MFW - currently at £23,610 (Aug 2014) MFD 2020
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Still stuck at 9/100 clear out items as I've been out all day.

Blue bin tomorrow so I have the shredder at the ready for this evening. Bring it on!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Got loads of things chucked out, purse cleared of receipts, Christmas cards put away so up to 18 items. Got a load of things photographed for Ebay too.

Ditch 100 in January - 18/100
  • Byatt wrote: »
    This is an excellent post. Thank you. :T Particularly number 2) I am aware that I am an emotional shopper, but I hadn't acknowledged that getting rid of things is an emotional rollercoaster for me too. And panic sets in when I try to do it all at once. I will try for 1 or 2 items rather than thinking, all or nothing. Just reading your post mummysaver, made me aware of the panicky feelings I get. :A
    Glad to have been of help. That's the reason I haven't joined in with any decluttering targets as they don't help me, just make me feel pressured. I figured for me it's a bit like losing weight (another of my targets for this year). Slowly, but surely. Decluttering is so much a mental as well as a physical process for some people and should be acknowledged as such.
    Their=belonging to them, There=over there
    Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
    The Grammar Fairy
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Glad to have been of help. That's the reason I haven't joined in with any decluttering targets as they don't help me, just make me feel pressured. I figured for me it's a bit like losing weight (another of my targets for this year). Slowly, but surely. Decluttering is so much a mental as well as a physical process for some people and should be acknowledged as such.

One of the things that I set myself up to fail with, is pressurising myself to do too much. Too soon.

So, although I've at least put some things on ebay and put the bins out, recycling and landfill, I haven't actually moved forward and it somehow still looks as bad as it did. Looked at the bedroom and thought :eek: just overwhelmed.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Yesterday I finally used up the silver wedding paper plates when I was donating food for chapel - saved washing up too!

Only had time for a quick tidy today so sorted out my underwear drawer - 6 items to the CS ragbag (my local shop is happy to take any unsaleable cloth items for the ragman).

& items this weekend. Back to work tomorrow, so things will slow down a lot. Thanks for the motivation!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 January 2012 at 6:15PM
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge :) That's about 3 things a day ;)

1. bag of video tapes to recylcing
    2. turkey carcase (from the freezer :D ) made into stock and the bones to recycling bin
    3. cardboard to recylcling
    4. paper to recylcing
    5. pile of magazines to DD
    6. wool to DD
    7-8. pairs of socks to recycling
    9. address book updated and slips/cards recycled
    10. slippers to recycling
    11. bottles to recycling
    12. tree outside to be chopped for firewood

Excellent - 36 Challengers ......... so far :p note to self - post 460

Mumof2 71/100

Pudsey DB 9/100

Yorkielass 4/100

Butterscotch 2/100

celyn90 23/100

hollysmum22 8/100

PenPen 12/100

Byatt

Possession 13/100

VJsmum 15/100

Gigglepig

Aarons mummy 10/100

Jayne C 12/100

methekidtandthecat 31/100

minuettoalegretto 19/100

saving Jane 12/100

Hermia 10/100

mavisangelica 9/100

nattyt 34/100

aligerdie 24/100

black cat 16/100

Kinmsmum 25/100

Alison Funnell

ziggy 2407 8/100

Looby_Lou

hattifattener 3/100

sue14 7/100

Paddy Paws 11/100

sootypea

tooties 20/100

365days 17/100

luxor4t 4/100

katep23 9/100

oldestgnome 6/100

Barttleon 8/100

jess 1011 43/100

catslovelycats 8/100

Determined 2b Debt Free 13/100

Remember, it's a challenge not a competition :beer:

So that I can keep up with all the challengers, if you're in, and wish me to update your total in my list, please can you have Ditch 100 in January Challenge followed by your total 12/100 in your post :) You amy format how you like, but please in colour and at least size 4 ;) TY
    Possession wrote: »
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge

Oh dear i may need to disqualify myself from the challenge judging by the state of my living room.

You're in and doing well, so can't back out now ;)
    sootypea wrote: »
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge
    Is it too late to join..
    off all weekend so will get busy.....

Never too late :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Decluttering is so much a mental as well as a physical process for some people and should be acknowledged as such.

So true. I found it hard this afternoon to declutter all the cards and notes etc people gave me when I left my last job (5 years ago:eek::o). Daft isn't it!? Anyway, I couldn't chuck them all, so kept back a few special ones and I will put them into some kind of scrapbook as a memory. The rest have been thrown into TLBB - That Little Black Bag! It was a 'gulp' moment but I feel pleased I did it and I've now got well-chosen momentos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure