Free online Welsh lessons

Comments

• west_is_best
    west_is_best Posts: 1,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rwyn siarad cymraeg.... ag yn falch i ddweud mai saesneg yw fy'n ail iaith i :)
  • YANA
    YANA Posts: 41 Forumite
    jamespir wrote: »
    the thing is like i live in wales and nobody i know speaks welsh although i would like to learn it

On the whole, every one west of Caernarfon can speak Welsh to varying degrees, but go east and the closer you get to Colwyn Bay and beyond, it tends to become more Scouse than Welsh. That's thanks to the A55 I'm afraid. Otherwise known as 'the criminal's getaway route.'
    I can spend a day up in Colwyn Bay and the surrounding area and never even hear the Welsh accent, yet alone the language. But as I get nearer home (Pen Llyn), Welsh is the main language and English, except when the tourists are here, is rarely heard.
  • YorkiePud_3
    YorkiePud_3 Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Post
    FatAndy wrote: »
    Isn't 'C' pronounced 'eck' in the Welsh alphabet (as in 'S Pedwar Eck'). That might be how kids in Yorkshire learn the alphabet but I'm not sure it's true of the rest of England.

p.s. I've just stereotyped the good people of Yorkshire. No doubt this thread will be inundated with responses from outraged citizens of Halifax, Dewsbury and Harrogate. Or maybe not as perhaps unlike some of the population of Wales who persist in their cult of victimisation most people in the rest of the UK can differentiate between an attempt at humour and a deliberate attempt to offend:think:.

I'm part Welsh and live in Yorkshire, so I'll count to ten then ya better run for it!! *LOL*
  • hoganllan
    hoganllan Posts: 11 Forumite
    FatAndy wrote: »
    Isn't 'C' pronounced 'eck' in the Welsh alphabet (as in 'S Pedwar Eck').

I have heard this, but possibly more often in the South then???
    I live in an area where most speak Welsh (north) and it is 'C' (cuh??!!) here, just as you would say 'carry' (random!) say the 'c' as it is spoken in a word and not in the alphabetic letter ('see')
    Oh well I understand what I mean if everyone else doesnt, sorry lol!!!
    OP, this will be of help to some people, thanks!
  • YANA
    I always assumed it was because when you say S Pedwar C, the "cuh" sound is on the back of the "wahrr" in Pedwar, thus sounding like "eck" when said in normal speach - Try it!
  • DaveAshton
    DaveAshton Posts: 7,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rwyn siarad cymraeg.... ag yn falch i ddweud mai saesneg yw fy'n ail iaith i :)
    Scarlets fan, by any chance? :)
    Back on MSE after a 5 year hiatus.

:heart2: Rhi :heart2:
  • impster
    impster Posts: 144 Forumite
    YANA wrote: »
    I always assumed it was because when you say S Pedwar C, the "cuh" sound is on the back of the "wahrr" in Pedwar, thus sounding like "eck" when said in normal speach - Try it!

The 'cuh' or 'kuh' sound is the 'name' of the letter (in the same way that in the alphabet, the a,b,c is 'ey', 'bee', 'see'. You seem to be mixing up the 'name' and the 'sound' of the letter.

In English, S4C is pronounced 'Ess, Four, See'. The 'See' is the name of the letter 'c', but not necessarilly the noise it makes when 'in a word'.
  • I've just had my email from SSIW and they appear very grateful for inclusion in Martins Tips, I Quote,

"It's been a crazy week with a lot of new members coming on board thanks to the plug on MoneySavingExpert.com - if you're one of those new members, croeso cynnes! a warm welcome!

Inspired by how much difference one mention in the right place can make (and whoever put the link up on the MoneySavingExpert.com forum, thank you VERY much!), we've started a place for good new ideas about how to promote SSIW so that more people find out that they can learn Welsh faster and for free...:-)"

May I also thank whoever mentioned it first!!
  • YANA
    impster wrote: »
    The 'cuh' or 'kuh' sound is the 'name' of the letter (in the same way that in the alphabet, the a,b,c is 'ey', 'bee', 'see'. You seem to be mixing up the 'name' and the 'sound' of the letter.

In English, S4C is pronounced 'Ess, Four, See'. The 'See' is the name of the letter 'c', but not necessarilly the noise it makes when 'in a word'.

No, I was trying to help FatAndy out as to why he thought it was pronounced 'eck.'
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    impster wrote: »
    Falle'n wir ddylswn i gychwyn tudalen Gymraeg ar y fforwm yma. Dewch i ni gael gweld beth fydd yr ymateb i'r canlynol...

'dyn ni yn cael edefyn Cymraeg neu ddau o bryd i'w gilydd, ond 'dyn nhw ddim fel arfer yn para'n hir cyn i rywun ddod mewn a naill ai dechrau tynnu coes neu cwyno bod ni'n siarad 'amdanyn nhw' (achos 's dim byd gwell 'da ni Cymry i drafod :rolleyes:)

braf i weld cymaint o Gymry Cymraeg o gwmpas y lle :wave:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills