NCT AnteNatal Classes

Comments

• Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    My midwife never told me about NHS ante natal classes, so I just booked an NCT one. The first lesson made it all worthwhile. She went into detail about how your body goes through the process of giving birth. I went from 'how on earth can my baby get out!' to 'ahhh, I see, so it is possible'

The classes did focus a lot on natural birthing methods, but we had a whole class on pain relief etc. I thought that it was a good balance, as it reassured us that we didn't need pain relief if we didn't want it, and we were more able to make an informed choice. That helped a lot with my needle phobia, as I felt able to refuse needles at the hospital.
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it is worth it for the social side, most certainly.

I personally don't think the classes 'push' natural birth or breastfeeding but what they do do is promote the benefits of both. There's a difference, I think!
  • SqueekyMouse
    SqueekyMouse Posts: 174 Forumite
    Don't just assume you only have the option of NHS classes or NCT ones. We went to an independent group run by 2 midwives (one retired one still practicing) which we found to be excellent and cost much less than the NCT course

They were able to speak from experience which I found reassuring and was important to me. (I understand that while the NCT teachers do complete a significant course in order to deliver the lessons, they do not necessarily have a background in midwifery).

Also, since they worked in the local hospitals they were able to give us hospital specific practical information - eg The General has a drop of point here and you'll need to get a permit from here when you go into hospital, or the birthing center only has 1 pool, so ask for it when you ring in etc.

I felt that the information was presented in a balanced way. There was lots of information on pain medication and no pressure not to have it, and while we learnt about breastfeeding, they did not push it. It didn't feel like they had an "earth mother" agenda to push which I know some people feel is the case with the NCT (I don't speak from any experience at all here, just what people have said to me)

I do think antenatal classes are useful even though you can read a lot in books, it's sometimes easier to remember information when its presented to you. Also as other people have said they are excellent from a social point of view, there was 5 other couple in our group and the mums and babies still meet up every couple of weeks.
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We found them worth the money :) My husband after not wanting to go initially thought they were brilliant and really helpful.

My DH thought the course let him know what to expect, how he could be helpful and meant that we talked about what we both wanted before and after the birth.

I can honestly say that if I hadn't done the NCT course I wouldn't have been able to feed my baby myself. Being able to call the local bfeeding counsellor was a life saver for me.

They do focus on a natural birth being the best but our teacher had gone through a c-section so was very informative about all the options.

I still meet up with the girls and babies 10 months on. :)
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Depends what you want out of them. I've signed up to the two free NHS ones plus I've paid £40 for pilates classes run by a midwife. Together with the invaluable threads on here and a decent baby book I feel clued up and relaxed about my pregnancy, labour, birth and beyond.

I wouldn't spent £270 on antenatal classes but then I'm not hugely interested in meeting people. Even if I were there are plenty of bumps and babies classes at the swimming pool, church hall, surestart centre, local gym etc. etc. that are a lot cheaper than the NCT. Plus I've got a sneaking suspicion that the NCT attracts mafia mums and they're not my cup of tea * :D

*Apologies to all those lovely NCT mums out there - I'm sure there are a few of you :o
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • pinkclouds
    pinkclouds Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    SmlSave wrote: »
    I can honestly say that if I hadn't done the NCT course I wouldn't have been able to feed my baby myself. Being able to call the local bfeeding counsellor was a life saver for me.

You can engage a professional lactation consultant for several hours for £270 though. And there are usually free local breastfeeding drop-in groups. I used to attend one in my town that is held every Friday lunchtime. The occasional new dad would stumble in but I do admit it was mostly moms every week. Also, if you have a hospital birth, you should be able to see the on-site lactation consultant before you go home.

Tbh, I reckon that nearly 300 quid would hire you a trainee doula (or possibly even a qualified doula), which would probably be more helpful than a few hours of "antenatal classes". Bear in mind that such a class would not be 1-to-1 and would cover a range of topics that might be surplus to your needs, without actually addressing your personal concerns. I remember attending one NHS antenatal class and noted, for example, that they did not discuss c-sections or bottle-feeding. Perhaps a NCT class would be different.

Alternatively, you could spend the money on a private hospital room, which might be more helpful with stress-relief. Or a short course of relaxation therapy to help prepare for the birthing pains. Or a home birthing pool, if that floats your boat. Or any number of things.
  • girl-in-a-hat
    girl-in-a-hat Posts: 111 Forumite
    pinkclouds wrote: »
    Bear in mind that such a class would not be 1-to-1 and would cover a range of topics that might be surplus to your needs, without actually addressing your personal concerns. I remember attending one NHS antenatal class and noted, for example, that they did not discuss c-sections or bottle-feeding. Perhaps a NCT class would be different.

It really depends on what you want from the class. If you want facts, stick with the NHS. I don't know whether all NCT classes at the same but bottle feeding was a taboo subject at ours. One dad-to-be asked about bottle feeding if breast feeding wasn't working out - the tutor looked at his as though he had 2 heads. We very briefly covered complications but most of the time was spent practising visualisations and breathing, neither of which were at all helpful to me when I ended up in theatre having an emergency forceps delivery.

If I'm perfectly honest, I felt an absolute failure because I didn't have the 'gold standard' gas and air fuelled water birth the NCT bang on about. I also had to quit breast feeding after a couple of weeks due to severe anaemia and other complications - our classes never accounted for this so another 'fail' for me... and some of the other Mum's.

I suppose the only reason we registered for classes was to meet people, and I did, but boy what an expensive way to be introduced.
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    It really depends on what you want from the class. If you want facts, stick with the NHS. I don't know whether all NCT classes at the same but bottle feeding was a taboo subject at ours. One dad-to-be asked about bottle feeding if breast feeding wasn't working out - the tutor looked at his as though he had 2 heads. We very briefly covered complications but most of the time was spent practising visualisations and breathing, neither of which were at all helpful to me when I ended up in theatre having an emergency forceps delivery.

If I'm perfectly honest, I felt an absolute failure because I didn't have the 'gold standard' gas and air fuelled water birth the NCT bang on about. I also had to quit breast feeding after a couple of weeks due to severe anaemia and other complications - our classes never accounted for this so another 'fail' for me... and some of the other Mum's.

I suppose the only reason we registered for classes was to meet people, and I did, but boy what an expensive way to be introduced.

I had planned a water birth, but couldn't due to being induced. I didn't need anything other than gas and air and breathing/hypnobirthing techniques to get through most of my labour, but physiological issues meant I ended up with an emergency forceps delivery. My new NCt chums (and our tutor) were nothing but positive regardless of birth experience/choices, and similarly with feeding choices.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I've been a midwife & health visitor, NCT member for 40+ years, now grandmother.

It isn't just the NHS who do free ante-natal classes. You local Children's Centre or Sure-Start (names vary!) may do some (ditto breast feeding support). They, like the NHS ones, vary from excellent to poor to non-existent.
    NCT are normally high quality.
    It is definitely worth attending ante-natal classes for all the reasons given above. Google your local area; there are independent midwives & teachers who do private ante-natal classes - mostly you won't get the friendship circle that comes from local community / NCT classes (I am still in touch with mine as we become grannies!) but you may not feel the need for that.
    So - research what is available, but do make sure you attend something. I offered NCT classes as a gift to the new parents when my first grandchild was expected - I felt so strongly that classes were a necessity. However, they had an excellent course at the local Children's Centre, and a satisfactory single class from the local midwife, so it wasn't necessary.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite

This is what concerns me, TBH. They just don't seem to have a reputation for being particularly flexible or inclusive. It's their way or the highway as far as I can tell and I'm not the sort of person that responds well to that.

Still, if it suits you I should imagine it can be incredibly supportive. Not my cup of tea though - I'll stick to the NHS.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure