Pets after Death

aardvaak
aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 23 June 2015 at 10:07PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
How do I ensure my and wife's wishes of what where our Dogs & Cats go after our death.

We have obviously put the necessary attachments to our wills but the wills are in a safe in the premises.

What I am worried is if I and my Wife are found dead some heavy handed plod would not have the thought or intelligence to look into the safe and do the safe option to them and oick them off to some useless load of prats like the RSPCA - totally the wrong move - and not carrying out our wishes.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    What were you planing to do have them mummified and buried with you?
  • aardvaak
    What were you planing to do have them mummified and buried with you?

No obviously sending them to people that care of our choice
  • Tell family and friends your wishes. and make sure someone has the combination to the safe, if you want them to go on there
    With love, POSR <3
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    I'd stick a big sign on the fridge: in the event of our death, Aunty Flo is having the cat and Cousin John is having the dog. With phone numbers for Aunty Flo and Cousin John.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    aardvaak wrote: »
    How do I ensure my and wife's wishes of what where our Dogs & Cats go after our death.

We have obviously put the necessary attachments to our wills but the wills are in a safe in the premises.

What I am worried is if I and my Wife are found dead some heavy handed plod would not have the thought or intelligence to look into the safe and do the safe option to them and oick them off to some useless load of prats like the RSPCA - totally the wrong move - and not carrying out our wishes.
    If they do end up in the hands of the RSPCA they won't put them to sleep straight away. They are still "owned" by your estate they'll look after them until the will is found and the wishes in the will carried out and your pets sent to the correct place. Don't worry too much a few days in the RSPCA shelters (most probably fostered out in the short term anyway) shouldn't be too harmful. The stress of not having you around would be much worse.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Are they chipped ?

Can your instructions be held as part of those records ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    aardvaak wrote: »

It's fairly unlikely both of you would die indoors at the same time. As suggested, a sign on the fridge door is one option. Another is if one of you is in hospital / care home / and not quite with it, then the one left at home should make sure a whoever they've given hosp etc an appropriate next of kin (deosn't have to be a spouse).
    It would be sensible to go through the 'what ifs' with the people who've agreed to take the pets now and keep in close touch with them on the state of play.
    On a lighter note, I wouldn't be surprised if I kick the buck unnoticed the idiot dog would start to feel a bit peckish and decide to chow down on my face :D
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • aardvaak
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Are they chipped ?

Can your instructions be held as part of those records ?

They are chipped

That is a very good point however I know quiet a lot about the RSPCA I know that particularly if someone has died or gone into hospital they will not read the chip they very rarely read if lost they just put the up for re-home or put down - I do not have much faith in them.
  • aardvaak
    Errata wrote: »
    It's fairly unlikely both of you would die indoors at the same time. As suggested, a sign on the fridge door is one option. Another is if one of you is in hospital / care home / and not quite with it, then the one left at home should make sure a whoever they've given hosp etc an appropriate next of kin (deosn't have to be a spouse).
    It would be sensible to go through the 'what ifs' with the people who've agreed to take the pets now and keep in close touch with them on the state of play.
    On a lighter note, I wouldn't be surprised if I kick the buck unnoticed the idiot dog would start to feel a bit peckish and decide to chow down on my face :D

Still on the lighter note if we were dead and the dogs started to have a munch to survive then at least we were useful after death - except plod would probably shot them on spot thinking they were vicious - which they are not

It is possible both could die in road traffic accident.

Yes I think it is down to putting signs up around the house hoping plod can or want to read them.
  • aardvaak
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    If they do end up in the hands of the RSPCA they won't put them to sleep straight away. They are still "owned" by your estate they'll look after them until the will is found and the wishes in the will carried out and your pets sent to the correct place. Don't worry too much a few days in the RSPCA shelters (most probably fostered out in the short term anyway) shouldn't be too harmful. The stress of not having you around would be much worse.

I know quiet a lot about the RSPCA I know that particularly if someone has died or gone into hospital they will not read the chip they very rarely read if lost they just put the up for re-home or put down - I do not have much faith in them.

I think it is down to putting signs up around the house hoping plod can or want to read them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure