Over 50s MoneySaving Checklist Discussion

Comments

• Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that is only applicable to Virgin Trains.

This map shows their network.

Check it out here:

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/buy-senior-railcard/railcard-terms-conditions
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dippypud wrote: »
    Thanks Dippypud.

Just had a look at that link, but couldn't see anything pertinent.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Errata wrote: »
    That's helpful. I unsubscribed to the weekly email some considerable time ago when my email addy was swamped in spam and MSE admitted it was to blame. It happened to other members as well.
    So - I'd like to comment, but I can't !

What's your point about not being able to comment?

If you don't receive the email you can still read the content on the site.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that is only applicable to Virgin Trains.

This map shows their network.
    Dippypud wrote: »
    Thanks Dippypud.

Just had a look at that link, but couldn't see anything pertinent.
    Time restrictions

The Railcard discount isn’t available on tickets for travel during the morning rush hour (peak time), Monday to Friday (not including Public Holidays) when journeys are made wholly within the London and South East area. The times of morning off-peak services do vary by route and are normally related to the availability of Off-Peak Day tickets. It's best to check with ticket office staff before buying your tickets. There are some easements to the London and South East area restrictions, see restrictions.
    It's clearly not just Virgin trains you can travel at any time of day on. It's practically any, except most of London and the SE.

Although it doesn't specifically mention Saver tickets and Open tickets, I think that's the difference between them: you can't get Saver tickets in the rush hour (normally).
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    It's clearly not just Virgin trains you can travel at any time of day on. It's practically any, except most of London and the SE.

Although it doesn't specifically mention Saver tickets and Open tickets, I think that's the difference between them: you can't get Saver tickets in the rush hour (normally).
    But the point made in post #10 was that with a Senior Railcard one could get the railcard discount and travel at peak times with an off peak ticket.
    In other words, travel at peak times with a railcard discounted off peak ticket.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a link that confirms this, but I still believe this extra facility is only available on Virgin Trains.

:beer:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    But the point made in post #10 was that with a Senior Railcard one could get the railcard discount and travel at peak times with an off peak ticket.
    In other words, travel at peak times with a railcard discounted off peak ticket.
    but isn't that the difference between an 'open' ticket and a 'saver' ticket: ie with an open you can travel at any time, with a saver you can only travel outside the rush hour?

I don't know, I get very confused myself, when there are degrees of saving for off peak day returns at different times of day advertised ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    but isn't that the difference between an 'open' ticket and a 'saver' ticket: ie with an open you can travel at any time, with a saver you can only travel outside the rush hour?

I don't know, I get very confused myself, when there are degrees of saving for off peak day returns at different times of day advertised ...
    If one wants to travel at peak time (whatever that may be), generally one needs to buy an Anytime ticket.
    Outside peak times, an Off Peak ticket is the one to buy.

As you say, either of those tickets can be bought with a railcard discount (with some SouthEast restrictions).

But in addition to that, Virgin will allow a railcard holder to travel at peak times with an Off Peak ticket.
    My understanding is that only Virgin Trains offer this extra 'discount'.

I am finding this difficult to explain, but hope we're getting there. :D
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Shouldn't this be renamed "over-60s checklist" as a. most items in the list apply to over-60s and b. I don't like it being implied that I'm old at 51 :-)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Couldn't agree more with Grumpycrab.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There is already a sticky topic regarding discounts for over-60s. This one is meant to include younger members. I don't mind people calling me old if its going to save me money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure