What is Pay rate for Tesco's per hour?

Comments

• purt
    purt Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to work for Tesco years ago as a student and was very well paid. I left after 5+ years with a raft of benefits from shares etc that I'd accumulated. Back then the discount was 10% after a year and on purchases over £3. The discount scheme was widely abused - hardly any surprise they limit it. Staff were bringing their extended families and next door neighbours in to do their shopping on the cheap.
  • Brighteyes wrote: »
    Just enquiring if anyone who works for tesco's can enlighten me how much pay is per hour for days/nights etc.
    Thanks in advance:D

as of 2011 at tesco in the depots its £7 per hour for first started after 6 months its £8.06 nights is 10.06 and weekends is same
  • JOR_5
    JOR_5 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Rate of pay is £6.82 at present, but with the 2.5 % pay rise, will be £7. There is extra pay for night work (midnight til 6am) and Sunday. 10% staff discount after 6 months, and also 50% extra credit on Tesco mobile.
    You also get lots of other perks like vouchers, and can buy shares, have profit sharing after 2 years (I think), and the staff canteens are heavily subsidised and sell great food!
  • According to a friend, they pay higher than Marks & Spencers, Adsa and all other supermarkets.. as she's had interviews at virtually all of them in the past year.. she went with Tesco and it seems they are very nice to work for!
  • I worked at M&S for 3 years. When I left my hourly rate was 6.53. The rate had gone up to I think about 6.60 for Customer Assistants. However, because I was on a warning my pay froze to 6.53. If you receive a warning and the rate increases you will not get a raise until your warning has cleared. And then you have to wait until the pay goes up again.
    The pay with M&S typically goes up in October time. If your on a warning you will also not receive any pay bonuses that the company offers. The staff discount at M&S is 20% but you can't use it for technology items (TV's DVD's etc).
    I've just been offered a job at Tesco (today actually) so I'm looking forward to it. I didn't enjoy my time at M&S for certain reasons. Mainly because I didn't get a lot of thanks for the amount of work I did there, but I know thats probably the same everywhere.
  • A.L.D.A
    A.L.D.A Posts: 522 Forumite
    For context the minimum wage is;

• £5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    • £4.92 - the 18-20 rate
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
  • *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pretty sure we get paid £7 per hour, basic rate?
  • A.L.D.A wrote: »
    For context the minimum wage is;

• £5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    • £4.92 - the 18-20 rate

Nothing for Britain's biggest and most profitable retailer to be proud of, is it?

This comes as a huge surprise to me. I simply had no idea. I assumed Tesco was a better employer than that. From other posts, I gather the likes of M&S pay around the same. It also appears wages have either stagnated over much the better part of a decade or actually gone down.

I need to re-think where I choose to shop. I simply don't want most of my weekly food spend to go towards what are (apart from a derisory 80p or so an hour) minimum wage employers.
  • markprest wrote: »
    Nothing for Britain's biggest and most profitable retailer to be proud of, is it?

This comes as a huge surprise to me. I simply had no idea. I assumed Tesco was a better employer than that. From other posts, I gather the likes of M&S pay around the same. It also appears wages have either stagnated over much the better part of a decade or actually gone down.

I need to re-think where I choose to shop. I simply don't want most of my weekly food spend to go towards what are (apart from a derisory 80p or so an hour) minimum wage employers.

minimum wage employers? bear in mind that one its a 2.5% or so payrise for all staff during a period when half the public sector had a wage freeze. then you factor in there are no qualifications taken into account when you are interviewed for said job. Plus after a set period you get a discount card entitling you to 10% off shopping plus the same reward points.. a pension scheme 2nd to none and a life insurance policy built into your contract when you are permanent staff. Add to that after a years service you get 5% of your annual wage in free shares every year thereafter. Plus a management scheme that judges you on merit rather than a paper degree.... go figure.... Throw in a decent pension and i find it hard to see your point? Yeah its only a pound above minimum wage but its not a taxing job. Granted it can be busy... ie xmas but for a walk in job... not too bad. :D
  • A.L.D.A
    A.L.D.A Posts: 522 Forumite
    minimum wage employers? bear in mind that one its a 2.5% or so payrise for all staff during a period when half the public sector had a wage freeze. then you factor in there are no qualifications taken into account when you are interviewed for said job. Plus after a set period you get a discount card entitling you to 10% off shopping plus the same reward points.. a pension scheme 2nd to none and a life insurance policy built into your contract when you are permanent staff. Add to that after a years service you get 5% of your annual wage in free shares every year thereafter. Plus a management scheme that judges you on merit rather than a paper degree.... go figure.... Throw in a decent pension and i find it hard to see your point? Yeah its only a pound above minimum wage but its not a taxing job. Granted it can be busy... ie xmas but for a walk in job... not too bad. :D

I wonder who you work for? Personally I prefer to shop where 100% of the shares are owned by local people. To me that sort of economic model makes some sense.

markprest wrote: »

IMO none of them pay well, nor do many of the well known fast food outlets, etc etc. We have far too many threads giving these people free advertisement.

I agree many of us should make a bit of an effort and support locally owned businesses, and where possible buy locally produced goods and food.
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure