Get parents to drive uninsured car while travelling

Options

Comments

• Motormad
    Motormad Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to be a grey area but you would have to have it insured or declare SORN because of the stupid continuous insurance rules.If the insurance has still some time to run you should leave it in place and then there would be no problem with your folks using it.Otherwise Sorn it and and tell them to charge the battery now and then and leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Motormad wrote: »
    leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels.

I agree entirely.....

However, if it's not on a flat driveway, kids will eventually notice it and decide it'd be funny to remove the wheel chocks.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As mentioned no insurance = you must SORN it which will refund the tax. You will either have to leave it taxed and insured or SORN it.

If you dont the DVLA will send you a nice little bill for £80++

Their insurance may exclude vehicles that are not insured. Mine does.

So either SORN it and leave it parked, Or leave the insurance and tax running.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to be a grey area but you would have to have it insured or declare SORN because of the stupid continuous insurance rules.
    It's not a grey area at all. Taxed vehicles need to be insured. If it's not insured, it needs to be SORNed.

Quite why that's "stupid" is a matter of debate - and it's a debate that you and I would be on opposite sides of.
  • Motormad
    Motormad Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    The grey area I'm referring to is whether you are covered to drive a vehicle belonging to someone else on DOC from your own insurance if that vehicle doesn't have its own insurance.So Adrianc do you think it's right that you should have to insure any car whilst it is off the road for any reason.To my mind it is just an excuse to fine people who are not fully aware of the latest rip off from DVLA.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    So Adrianc do you think it's right that you should have to insure any car whilst it is off the road for any reason.

You don't...
    To my mind it is just an excuse to fine people who are not fully aware of the latest rip off from DVLA.

Continuous Insurance came into force nearly four years ago...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The grey area I'm referring to is whether you are covered to drive a vehicle belonging to someone else on DOC from your own insurance if that vehicle doesn't have its own insurance.So Adrianc do you think it's right that you should have to insure any car whilst it is off the road for any reason.To my mind it is just an excuse to fine people who are not fully aware of the latest rip off from DVLA.

It's not really a grey area. If your insurance requires the car you are driving on DOC to be insured, your policy will say so.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But the point is that it is not legally possible to drive an uninsured car as an uninsured car must be SORN, and therefore cannot be driven (except to a pre-booked MOT), so whether or not the DOC cover applies, they still cannot drive the car (except to an MOT) without falling foul of The Law.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SORN has nothing to do with insurance it is to do with tax.

Police will only stop an uninsured vehicle due to a ping for no insurance. If the driver is found to have valid insurance via his DOC then there is no offence that the police will charge you for.

However for the insurance due to CIE, DVLA when they become aware from the various databases that there is no insurance will first write to the keeper to advise them to get it sorted within a timescale. If that doesn't happen then the £80 fine etc kicks in.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    SORN has nothing to do with insurance it is to do with tax.
    SORN has everything to do with insurance, since CIE came in. You cannot have an uninsured but taxed car. Therefore a car that isn't on the MID, because it's being driven under a DOC clause, cannot be taxed - it must be SORNed. And SORNed cars cannot be on the road EXCEPT under that MOT exemption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure