PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seriously SCARY situation

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Slinky wrote: »
    Well it's not only the neighbours that know it. Apparently cleaners come regularly and somebody else to do the garden...... sounds like the world and his dog may know the code.

That was the case for the keysafe I fitted at my parents' house.

The whole point was to allow the carers and cleaner access.

The close neighbours also knew the code in case they needed to get access to offer help or to get entry for the emergency services.

The alternative would have been to give everyone keys.
  • BlessedNotStressed
    BlessedNotStressed Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2017 at 12:39AM
    Well....the plot thickens!!

Turns out that he DID own the house and his ex did indeed forge his signature after repeated efforts to track him down failed. What's more, she reckons she has the money from the sale sitting in the account ready to give to him. However, he has now involved the police and is suing her and apparently her solicitors for negligence and misconduct. He is still demanding that we give the house back to him as he wants the property not the money. He claims he left possessions in the attic that he wants back. Thing is - I found a couple of boxes of stuff in the attic when we first moved in - and I gave them to a charity shop! Haven't admitted this to anyone though. Just denying all knowledge at the moment. My solicitor seems to think the sale cannot be undone, which is one positive from this whole sorry mess!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Wow what a mess. Hope it goes OK for you.

Worst case i would suppose you are due a shed load of compensation from their solicitors. Best case compo and stay where you are.

I suggest you are upfront about the stuff in the loft, it will come out in the end.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My solicitor seems to think the sale cannot be undone
    They're correct (I did point this out a while back...). An, er, interesting situation for everyone else nonetheless.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic

Turns out that he DID own the house and his ex did indeed forge his signature after repeated efforts to track him down failed. What's mor,w she reckons she has the money from the sale sitting in the account ready to give to him. However, he has now involved the police and is suing her and apparently her solicitors for negligence and misconduct. He is still demanding that we give the house back to him as he wants the property not the money. He claims he left possessions in the attic that he wants back. Thing is - I found a couple of boxes of stuff in the attic when we first move down in - and I gave them to a charity shop! Haven't admitted this to anyone though. Just denying all knowledge at the moment. My solicitor seems to think the sale cannot be undone, which is one positive from this whole sorry mess!

Thanks for the update.

So if she forged his signature did she forge the witness details too or has someone else lied?
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2017 at 11:07PM
    How did this fraud not get noticed by the vendor's solicitor??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The man who used to own the house doesn't have any argument with you he has to sue his ex partner.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 July 2017 at 12:31AM

Turns out that he DID own the house and his ex did indeed forge his signature after repeated efforts to track him down failed. What's mor,w she reckons she has the money from the sale sitting in the account ready to give to him. However, he has now involved the police and is suing her and apparently her solicitors for negligence and misconduct. He is still demanding that we give the house back to him as he wants the property not the money. He claims he left possessions in the attic that he wants back. Thing is - I found a couple of boxes of stuff in the attic when we first move down in - and I gave them to a charity shop! Haven't admitted this to anyone though. Just denying all knowledge at the moment. My solicitor seems to think the sale cannot be undone, which is one positive from this whole sorry mess!
    Ouch.... must admit... this is what I had as my most likely theory especially when it appeared he did have a legitimate interest in the property. Think I'd continue casually denying knowledge of the boxes too unless police directly asked about them (you could always say to them you feared trouble if you told the guy you'd disposed of them)... and simply put head down trying to not let the drama affect you... it hopefully will play out in background and the relevant people pay a price for their failures or crimes.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you're going to deny knowledge of something, it's best not to contradict yourself by posting on the internet what you have infect done with the boxes.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • MrSnuggl3s
    MrSnuggl3s Posts: 14 Forumite
    Wow, what a development. Surprised that a signature can go so far. This is through no fault of your own, so my guess is that you're due a decent amount of compensation from your conveyancers.

How would you feel if you had to leave the property but had more money for a different one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure