PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seriously SCARY situation

Options

Comments

• Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    further to the articles, can i recommend that you sign yourselves up with the Government's Land Registry property alert service as that was introduced partly in response to such issues.

The alert is simply them sending you an e mail when or if someone tries to register a change to the title. In other word if someone tries to take over ownership of your property! It will cost you nothing to do, and will obviously pay you dividends in the future if you can then prevent such a change.

https://propertyalert.landregistry.gov.uk

I agree, especially if you don't have a mortgage.
    I've signed up our address and both my mum and dad's addresses.

It does work - my step dad died recently so the Land Registry were informed to change the title deeds. I received an email from them stating that my mums solicitor has contacted them to change them. No action was required because it was legitimate, but they tell you what to do if it's not.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Gorecki
    Gorecki Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the face of it, the whole thing sounds a bit odd. Particularly randomly turning up unannounced after 18 months away, even if he thought his ex still co-owned it...

Good luck on Monday, I wouldn't be surprised if it all goes away after a simple call and you never see him again.
    I have read of these sorts of situations when the person involved's even turned out to be a burglar walking into new purchases/building sites and bluffing their way out when caught.

I also wouldn't/didn't change locks immediately on move in, but try and sleep easy now you have :-)
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wonder how many times hes been in there
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2017 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Removed at Money's request.
  • BlessedNotStressed
    Options
    I've just been to see my solicitor (who dealt with the conveyancing) - he is equally as surprised and perplexed by all this. He is getting straight on the case by combing through all the paperwork and contacting the vendors solicitor to get to the bottom of it.
    I also spoke to an elderly neighbour yesterday - she's lived on the street for 75 years and seems to know all the comings and goings. She said the couple that used to live here had a very tumultuous relationship and were always arguing in the street and storming off. She said she hasn't seen either of them for a long time and assumed the house was empty prior to us moving in.
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just been to see my solicitor (who dealt with the conveyancing) - he is equally as surprised and perplexed by all this. He is getting straight on the case by combing through all the paperwork and contacting the vendors solicitor to get to the bottom of it.
    I also spoke to an elderly neighbour yesterday - she's lived on the street for 75 years and seems to know all the comings and goings. She said the couple that used to live here had a very tumultuous relationship and were always arguing in the street and storming off. She said she hasn't seen either of them for a long time and assumed the house was empty prior to us moving in.

The vendor's solicitor would (presumably) have insisted on confirming the guy's identity (e.g., by checking his passport), so this does sound pretty strange. If he was overseas than this makes this more difficult.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,759 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting... there's always one you can rely on for the gossip.. haha... but the story seems to follow general thoughts here so far. I've a feeling the vendor solicitor in going to be having a pint with their lunch today. Hopefully you'll have your mind put at rest soon enough.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,759 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2017 at 1:22PM
    Options
    david1951 wrote: »
    The vendor's solicitor would (presumably) have insisted on confirming the guy's identity (e.g., by checking his passport), so this does sound pretty strange. If he was overseas than this makes this more difficult.
    Yeah.. presumably... but if my experience is anything to go by some years ago... attitudes to the requirements were rarely good... I had to be employed substantially to protect the solicitors and conveyancers because they made fundamental errors and oversights when it came to even things like establishing who their client was (I must've asked many a time.. things like 'is the wife actually an owner of the property") let alone whether they could evidence their name and address. If he was overseas though and on the title you'd hope they'd have been especially scrutinising of identity documents and their requirement and certainly been well focussed on any signature comparisons. On related subject... for those who need a bit of light relief... and the Op might... it sounds like it... my recent post here may be worth reading... from paragraph 3.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72867392#post72867392
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

Maybe worthwhile asking this neighbour for a description of the male in this couple to see if it fits the man who entered your property claiming to be the owner.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    I don't think I would give neighbours the code to such an external keysafe if I had one. However they do have a copy of my keys and I have theirs. We have helped each other out a couple of times.

Well it's not only the neighbours that know it. Apparently cleaners come regularly and somebody else to do the garden...... sounds like the world and his dog may know the code.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport