Compulsary uniform. Is this right?

Options

Comments

• kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this is nothing new - I worked for Arcadia group in 1988 and had to wear the brand clothing - we did however get 30% discount and when my friend worked at next she got 25% discount -which is a substantial saving - your friend would need to purchase clothing for work anyway - and as she is only part time then perhaps one skirt and one pair of trousers would suffice with a couple of tops - or even less if she only has a few hours work for example they currently sell navy chinos for £10 with a 25% discount that is £7.50 - which I don't think anyone could moan at for workwear - probably cheaper than she could buy if she worked in an office and had to buy work clothes
  • TERIERI
    TERIERI Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Next employees actually get 75% discount on uniform. Every new season they are given an allowance depending on hours worked and get 75% discount on that allowance.
    Anything over that they get their normal 25% staff discount.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I frequently am required to wear a suit for work to attend court, which I am expected to but myself and launder myself. Most people have to buy and wash their own clothing.

With a 75% discount on work clothes your GF is probably paying less for the clothes than if she brought them from Primark.
  • kazzah
    kazzah Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    TERIERI wrote: »
    Next employees actually get 75% discount on uniform. Every new season they are given an allowance depending on hours worked and get 75% discount on that allowance.
    Anything over that they get their normal 25% staff discount.

wow - that is a fabulous discount- I would be delighted to get that !
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is a condition of employment and was made clear at the outset then it is not unfair or unreasonable. You OH has the choice of looking at the terms and conditions of her employment deciding whether she deems them to be acceptable or not. If they are not acceptable to her then she can seek employment elsewhere.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most jobs have a dress code, not necessarily a uniform but nevertheless clothes that you would not choose to wear when not at work.

The discount from Next sounds very generous.
  • SparkieTheCat
    Options
    Nice of NEXT to discriminate fat people who clearly could not buy there clothes to wear for work... you know a size 24+
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Options
    According to tv news Next's prices are to rise, so that probably means fewer sales and possibly less staff, making a rant about cheap clothing as a 'uniform' quite trivial.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice of NEXT to discriminate fat people who clearly could not buy there clothes to wear for work... you know a size 24+
    26 +. Next do a size 24.

the only go down to a size 6 as well, so do you consider that they discriminate against smaller people too?

if you are over a size 24 you really should be taking steps to lose weight even if only for health reasons.

when i was at school i had a saturday job where we had to wear uniforms provided by the company. their biggest size was a 14.
    i consider that to be unreasonable, but a size 24 SHOULD cater for the vast majority of people
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does sound odd that an item of clothing is deemed "too old to wear" at 6 months! Most items of clothing I own are several years old yet still fine - I would think twice about ever buying from next if their clothing has such a short usable life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure