Ford Fiesta car heating not working, any ideas please?

Comments

• bingobango_3
    bingobango_3 Posts: 138 Forumite
    why not post this query on their forum, then you will identify the problem, then buy the part from ford and take it to a mechanic to fit, it will be much cheaper than taking it to fraud.

In the first instance post on honestjohn

Thanks mr_accountant. Just found same spec car with exactly the same problem in exactly the same order on honest john. Looks like it is the heater control valve. Reckon I am capable of that so will see if I can pick one up. For info, link is below:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=40471

Noticed that the original poster didn't reply as to if they got it fixed. Once I've had a go I'll drop a reply on here (and on hj too for others who get this prob), although it won't be straight away that I have a look at it. It's not snowing though thankfully!!!

Cheers Kaya for airlock idea.
  • mr_accountant
    mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Before buying the part asks them, they are experts, and then if the consensus is the water valve you can proceed. Worst thing to do on a car is to buy a part then find it’s not the problem?

Many of the posts here may be correct and i may be wrong, so best to ask the pros and then decide on the balance of probabilities whether something need replacing or not.
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    When I had a Fiesta, (Many many moons ago!!!!!!) the heater matrix packed up,and resulted in me replacing it.Not an easy job I can tell you,but saved me a packet,and resulted in nice warm toes.

And by the way,I got mine from a scrapyard,and took the risk on a second hand one,but the gamble paid off.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • bingobango_3
    bingobango_3 Posts: 138 Forumite
    thanks for advice all :beer:

got it working in the end. it was the heater valve. got a haynes manual £13 of whsmith delivered to store (no postage!), got part for £20 of internet, just fitted it (took a while, couldn't remove the scuttle board as some of the screws weren't wanting to unscrew despite them turning, mangaed to get a few out to loosen it enough). Didn't lose too much coolant in the process as had some bungs handy to bung the pipes and valve itself.

Hardest part was loosening and tightening the pipe clamps, kept slipping and twisting out of the pliers!!!

Took just over an hour. Little test drive after, temp gage happy at half way, hot air and cold air blowing happily :cool:

Cheers!
  • Great well done!!

Nice to know often cars are customer friendly and what a great feeling when the task is completed. Oh yes not forgetting what a great site this is!
  • Garf
    Garf Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I too had this issue. I ordered the Heater Control Valve from Ford Parts uk (https://www.fordpartsuk.com) brand new and delivered and £15 cheaper than the local Ford Dealer.

ITs a common issue with Fiestas 97 onwards. I joined the Zetec S owners club (https://www.zsoc.com) and there was plenty of support and cheap parts there for Fiestas 97 +
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
  • if the water system is full to the correct level, and the water temp gauge is in the normal position the most likely cause of your problem is the heater control valve,
    these valves fail on a regular basis, i would recommend changing the resistor as well ( the small circuit board you have already indentfeid behind the heater control.
    the valve assy is £16.89 and the resistor assy £6.58 + vat of cause.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there definitely antifreeze in the system? WIth the cold weather recently if water froze in the system it may damage it.
  • anewman wrote: »
    Is there definitely antifreeze in the system? WIth the cold weather recently if water froze in the system it may damage it.

if your not sure either get an antifreeze tester, or just drain off some of the existing coolant and top up with un diluted anti freeze.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    anewman wrote: »

But the OPs Heater Control Valve failed 18 months ago in the summer ;)

Ford are still changing the Heater Control Valve design, when I changed out Ka's for the 3rd time in September, the part number had again been revised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure