Can a gas safe fitter remove the meter?

2»

Comments

• eurmalian
    eurmalian Posts: 288 Forumite
    spiro wrote: »
    I dont know who told you that but its illegal. Removing and refitting the meter could be construed as illegal abstraction (theft), so dont even go there. Only the appointed Meter Asset Maintainer can work on the meter.

Do you have anything that you can link me to about that? As I have always believed it to be fine for gas safe to do so as long as the supply is fully capped.

Abstraction isn't an issue at all, partly because the supply will be stopped for the whole time, but mainly because abstraction is theft of electricity...
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eurmalian wrote:

Abstraction isn't an issue at all, partly because the supply will be stopped for the whole time, but mainly because abstraction is theft of electricity...

Or water, or presumably gas, or any other commodity. Abstraction is the act of removing. What you prob mean is Illegal abstraction.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my understanding is that a gsr can move a meter side if the move is just for decorating etc but in circumstances such as op this is only done by mams or engineer from the gas network who is given permission by the meter owner in this case bg to do so.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • eurmalian
    lemontart wrote: »
    my understanding is that a gsr can move a meter side if the move is just for decorating etc but in circumstances such as op this is only done by mams or engineer from the gas network who is given permission by the meter owner in this case bg to do so.

That sounds like a different understanding from both mine and spiros, so there's three potential options now. I can't find anything dealing with this one way or another on the internet. I'd really like to know the answer for certain, even if it is that I'm wrong...
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • lemontart
    edited 8 August 2011 at 12:33PM
    eurmalian wrote: »
    That sounds like a different understanding from both mine and spiros, so there's three potential options now. I can't find anything dealing with this one way or another on the internet. I'd really like to know the answer for certain, even if it is that I'm wrong...

Who ever works on the meter must have the appropriate qualifications and be registered as such with the gas safe register - I think we can take that as given, where the confusion seems to lie is the level of work that can be done by a private gsr on the meter. By work I mean resetting the govenor or totally removing the meter etc not the testing of pressure or or for leaks on system.

There are very few private gsr's that have this license/qualification and each one no doubt has certain jobs they will not do.

The Meter is either owned or leased by the supplier and any works on t he meter has to be with their permission or done by their meter asset management company. Even in the case of emergency certain companies do not permit post gas emergency work on t he meter by the attending emergency engineer and the customer has to contact their gas supplier to get the meter dealt with.

In situations such as the op to me whilst they can ask for the meter installation to be included by National Grid this may not always be possible - BG have their own meter asset management company and appear to prefer to have most meter works carried out by them.

We tend to refer people to their supplier for a temporary move of meter especially if going back to the original position but the op has a permanent move to a new position which is different as involving work on national grid pipes

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/GasServices/GasMeters.htm
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lemontart
    oops forgot to add if a meter move of any description means the supply pipe has to be moved then simple answer no the gsr cannot do it as only people permitted to work on supply pipe is the gas network who owns it.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    A GSR can remove a meter temporarily to work on the gas carcass, a requirement for safe working, and can move a meter within the radius of the anaconda and the ECV. No permission is need by anyone to do this.

He cannot adjust the governor WP regardless of whether he holds MET1 or not. He cannot change anything upstream of the ECV, that is for the gas transporter or their appointed agents to do only.

In the OP's case the complete repositioning of the meter would not be allowed other than by the gas transporter or their appointed representative.
  • eurmalian
    gas4you wrote: »
    In the OP's case the complete repositioning of the meter would not be allowed other than by the gas transporter or their appointed representative.

I think they've got that bit sorted. Grid are going to modify the supply, move the piping and re-install the meter once they're finished. The question being asked is who removes the meter so that they can do that.
  • lemontart
    eurmalian wrote: »
    I think they've got that bit sorted. Grid are going to modify the supply, move the piping and re-install the meter once they're finished. The question being asked is who removes the meter so that they can do that.

The gas supplier in this case as it total removal for move of supply or their appointed meter asset management company.

Fairly safe to to say if in doubt at any time check with your supplier with regards to permissions
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure