Sorting through my rubbish

I have been lurking on this website for a few years now, mainly reading threads and posting occassionally. Started PADding (twice) and stopped (twice!). Avide fan of the OS threads - all hail the Stardrops:D

I have managed, mainly through being a shopaholic and a hoarder, to get myself in a real pickle both financially and in the house:mad:. My home is bulging at the seams with my possessions as well as those of my 3 kids, DH and our large dog! Something has got to give.

I have started the great declutter, many bags have already gone to the charity shop, some to the tip and lots of stuff ebayed but there is lots more to go through. I need the space in the loft so that eventually DS1 can move up there, but first I need the money from ebaying stuff to help clear debts so that I can fund the necessary building work.

And so it begins...my diary...2011 is the year I am going to attempt to clear my loft and one of my cc debts (the one with highest interest rate - I have been snowballing!). Going to keep grocery expenses to minimum, thankfully I am quite adept at making meals from what is whoopsied or on offer and the family are not really fussy eaters. Resist buying new toiletteries etc (bathroom cabinets are already groaning) and I don't really need new clothes or shoes and will keep to a minimum what I buy for the kids.

Anyone who wants to join me for the ride please feel free, I am sure it will be a bit of a roller coaster - my life usually is:rotfl::rotfl:and any tips/advice gratefully accepted.

Wish me luck

REPAYMENT PLAN
Barclaycard £6700 0% repaying at £300 pm
LOAN [STRIKE]£14000[/STRIKE] £9352 - DFD September 2022

Comments

• haz08
    haz08 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Wow - I could have written that post myself - 3 kids, 1 dog, debts and a loft to clear!! Started my new diary today too - 2011 will be my year! Have got to keep it short because DS needs collecting but just wanted to wish you luck! And will be following your diary, looking for hints and tips myself!
    haz
  • hi
    good luck with your diary

xxx
    Total debt- 2982.00 Now- £2890.00
  • Likewise - Your post sounds like me, I also have 3 kids, 2 jobs and a groaning loft - I just don't have a dog! - Look forward to reading more x
    Emergency Savings Fund - £1100
    2015 Mortgage overpayments = £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiney new diary :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Good luck, I started my diary today too :)
    £9,000 (Ish) in 2013
    Paid:
    £32.20 / £4492.66 Debt
    £50.00 / £650.00 Holiday
    £00.00 / £4000.00 House
  • Good luck 321, I will stay tuned and watch the progress!! :beer:
    No kids here, but do have:
    • DH with huge apetite (for both food & 'stuff' - see last 3 points!)
    • 2 dogs
    • 1 cat
    • 12 chucks
    • Bathroom full of unused toiletries
    • Loft full of clutter :D
    • Shed full of clutter :mad:
    • 2nd shed full of clutter!!! :doh:
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions...
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    :) On first reading your post I immediately thought - oooh lucky you! Lots to Ebay! I've been through so much there's not much left to Ebay, but unfortunately still loads to declutter (why is that?!?!) but a lot better than it used to be.

Great you have a definite goal for the loft etc as I find when I have a specific idea about something, it really helps to get motivated.

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • Hiya 321, :j Wow look at your responses Fab start :j. It is brilliant having a diary, even if its for self ramblings but great whenever others chip in too. Keep it up, you will be amazed at how it will help you.

Subscribed X

:)
    Do I need this or just want it.
    If you always do what you always do...You will get what you always get.
    Debt Free since 16/12/10
    Starting Weight 14-7 Current 13-7-0 total -14lb
  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Hi 321
    Just thought i'd pop on quickly and wish you luck.
    x
  • Hi Everyone,

Thanks for of the posts and good luck wishes, didn't realise just how many people are in the same postition as me!!

Been a mixed week MSE wise. Lost out on about £200 of overtime due to DD being poorly (she is only 6 so I had to stay home with her), was counting on that for Xmas:(. Quite organised for Xmas though, the kids main presents are bought and paid for (not put on cc) just need to sort other friends/relatives, we're not going mad this year but I like to get well thought through, personal gifts for everyone (not expensive flashy things). Going to check the loft this weekend for any forgotten pressies from previous years and also to find the paper and cards bought last January!

The good news this week was that due to changing to an on-line tariff, only using the quick wash on the dishwasher (rinse everything in cold water first to remove the worst) and nagging, nagging nagging, everyone (especially DH) to turn things off our monthly DD for gas and electricity is being reduced by £40 per month!:T:T:T

Must seriously do some ebay listing over the next few days (weeks/months!) have only managed to put a couple of items on this week, working tonight (DH can look after DD) but will crack on with it tomorrow.

Whoopsied stirfry veg and chicken to night with Big Brands 4 Less Stirfry sauce, total cost to feed 5 £1.80 - 36p each - lovely!!:j

Off to look at everyone else's diaries now.

Good luck everyone;)

REPAYMENT PLAN
    Barclaycard £6700 0% repaying at £300 pm
    LOAN [STRIKE]£14000[/STRIKE] £9352 - DFD September 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business