STOPPING robbing Peter to pay Paul...my journey...

Options
Hi All

I have been a member of this forum for a while and have to admit that for too long I have been burying my head in the sand. Having momentary glimpses of light, feeling inspired, setting targets, budgeting, only to relapse as time moved on. Getting myself further and further in to debt by robbing Peter to pay Paul... In the last year alone I estimate racking up a debt of approx £14,000 :(

I thought it would be beneficial to keep a diary to help me on my journey to debt freedom...and to stay on the wagon so to say...I am hoping to explore how I got into this mess and the steps forward I need to make to get out of it.

I hope you will pop in from time to time and support me on my journey with your insight, wisdom and inspiration!

Here’s to DEBT FREEDOM :j
#4 DFBXMAS24 - £1,542.72/£5,000
NSD Challenge - Jan 15/12, Feb 3/12, Mar 10/10 Apr 6/12.

Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration & inspiration ~ Evan Esar

Comments

• blubella
    blubella Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The story so far..

I am 43 years old; I have a son of 23 who is currently working abroad. For much of my son’s life I was stuck in the benefit trap living in poverty, struggling to survive and making poor lifestyle choices. I knew at some point my life had to change in order for me to move forward. At that time I felt that nicotine was holding me back and that I had to eliminate it from my life to move forward. At 30 I stopped smoking and I could not believe the transformation in my life within that year, I felt that I had made a massive step forward..

Within that year I saved up £2,000 and took my son to Thailand and was accepted onto an Access course for 2 years at a local college. I graduated from Uni 4 years later at 38, embarked on a new career and bought my first home... I have to give myself a pat on the back here, I felt proud, that I had turned my life around :)

The truth is that I cannot honestly say that I have been debt free since my 20’s, I may fool myself into thinking that I have managed my money...but is shifting your debt around really managing your money? Yesterday I cut up credit card number 1 and phoned to close the account it :T... 4 more cards...

Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration & inspiration ~ Evan Esar
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome and well done, you achieved so much already, stopped smoking, got out if the benefit trap, went to uni etc.

Seems like you got the right motivation to also jump this last hurdle and become debt-free.

All the best and good luck on your journey!
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • blubella
    Options
    Thank you so much Thriftylass! :)

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A really positive post blubella. Good luck on your journey.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • blubella
    Options
    Recent past...

Over the previous 18 months I found myself out of work for a year due to a bullying and harassment situation; as a result suffering from anxiety and depression. Fortunately I was being paid but then dropped to half pay and could barely manage to pay all my bills.

Stupidly, I borrowed more money with the intention of setting up my own business, retrained bought all the kit but then felt unable to fully commit without some regular level of income (I have no OH to depend on). I had no intention of returning to my role and made the assumption that I would be compensated!! I was forced to take my grievance to appeal and it was finally found in my favour! I should be happy you would think but oh how things change when you find yourself on zero pay!

I was managing to survive on the borrowed money...but had to act fast. I eventually swallowed my pride and approached my employer with a proposition of being redeployed into another position which was mutually agreeable....

Fast forward 4 months and I have now returned to an alternative position within the organisation of 30 hours per week over 4 days. I’m not sure if that was a particularly smart idea to drop a day and must admit I did not think the implications through fully; as I have now calculated that I am earning £5,000 (gross) per year less..

The plan was/is to continue with my business plan, i'd say I am averaging approx £150 per month so really do need to build this up!

I am currently working on a budget, so hope to post more later!

• blubella
    Options
    Thank you for the support Parsniphead! :)

• blubella
    Options
    Well, here I am.. day off...attempting to progress with my multiple spreadsheets which will tell me my sad state of affairs...I must say my computer skills are pretty rusty. I can add up my totals but then resort to my calculator for anything with a symbol other than + hah

I have hashed together some sort of expenditure for the month although this is not final! I have kept all of my receipts so have been quite shocked to see where I have wasted money so far, and we aren’t even at the end of the month...! My vino bill is approx a third of my grocery bill... I mean, it could actually overtake my grocery bill...we shall have to see?

I know this month has been unhealthy for me...which is evident by the list of junk food on my spreadsheet...£25 worth already! It really isn’t me, I’m normally such a healthy eater so I will partly blame this on the BF...those movie afternoons eating popcorn and chocolate, what I can’t blame on him is my disorganisation with lunch and the odd few quid spent on a sarnie...such a bloomin' waste!

I'm off to the naughty stair...

• kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Bluebella :)

You are doing awesome, and have done so many good things already :)

I love my spreadsheet, I am a complete spreadsheet saddo and I am on it every day!

I am looking forward to your journey xx
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • blubella
    Options

You are doing awesome, and have done so many good things already :)

I love my spreadsheet, I am a complete spreadsheet saddo and I am on it every day!

I am looking forward to your journey xx

Thank you so much kindofagilr!!

You have already inspired me with the way you are managing your finances!

I will try to improve with the spreadsheet...I think I can get by with the basics until I learn the formulaes!

Ha..I even recorded my meter readings today!! :rotfl:

• natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Me Too! I love my spreadsheet!!!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure