'Forced' work from Job Center.

Comments

• Mersey wrote: »
    By that logic all council staff should be happy with below NMW too.

Bonkers, of course.

by your skewed logic possibly that is a comparison.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Everyone going on OP living off "free money" and "taxpayers money" - why do you assume OP was not a taxpayer himself/herself for years before?

The goverement is currently running at a deficit so any money that was paid in the past has already been spent and more!. So any money they are receiving now is from other people who are working and paying tax.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Right, because its that easy...

Especially when there are employers who are more than happy to take her on as free labour for a few months but apparently not willing to actually give her a real job!

Maybe the work experience will lead to a potential job? Happens regularly.

Surely better than sitting in the house.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    takman wrote: »
    The goverement is currently running at a deficit so any money that was paid in the past has already been spent and more!. So any money they are receiving now is from other people who are working and paying tax.

Ermmm and?

Some people before were getting JSA or whatever from OP's taxes now OP is getting some help from other people's taxes etc etc

Just because the government overspends - does not mean OP is getting free money as he/she may have been working for years before and is entitled to help now.

Stop that whiter than white attitude as nobody knows who is next to be out of work and needing help.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ermmm and?

Some people before were getting JSA or whatever from OP's taxes now OP is getting some help from other people's taxes etc etc

Just because the government overspends - does not mean OP is getting free money as he/she may have been working for years before and is entitled to help now.

Stop that whiter than white attitude as nobody knows who is next to be out of work and needing help.

Ofcourse the OP is entitled to JSA while unemployed and looking for work. But whatever tax that they have paid in the past is irrelevant because that isn't a requirment of claiming JSA.

So technically it is "free money" and it is current "tax payers money". I'm not saying that is a problem but whether or not they paid tax in the past still doesn't make those statements false.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    takman wrote: »
    Ofcourse the OP is entitled to JSA while unemployed and looking for work. But whatever tax that they have paid in the past is irrelevant because that isn't a requirment of claiming JSA.

So technically it is "free money" and it is current "tax payers money". I'm not saying that is a problem but whether or not they paid tax in the past still doesn't make those statements false.

And the bold bit is what is wrong in this country.

Believe it or not but in some countries JSA is a percentage of previous salary of the claimant.

People that never worked get the bare minimum and people that did and contributed - get a percentage of their average previous income for the first year.

Here - everyone gets the same regardless and that is extremely unfair and simply wrong.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is what happens when everyone gets the same in the name of equality

IISC_EqualityEquity.jpg
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post

Believe it or not but in some countries JSA is a percentage of previous salary of the claimant.

People that never worked get the bare minimum and people that did and contributed - get a percentage of their average previous income for the first year.

Here - everyone gets the same regardless and that is extremely unfair and simply wrong.

Another way to look at it is that the more that someone earned before they lost their job the more they could save so they wouldn't have to rely on benefits as much.

The same result could be achieved by everyone saving a percentage of their salary every time they are paid and then alot fewer people would need to claim JSA at all when they loose their job.

The system you describie is good for people who are poor at budgeting and can't save money themselves so they are forced to do it by paying a higher level of tax. But i personally would rather keep the current system and save the money myself than pay a higher level of tax.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    This thread has made me smile. My first thought was your getting paid to do nothing at the minute and you are happy with that, but you are not happy to work and get paid less than NMW.

But as I read more replies, I thought about it a little more. I can not remember how much I have paid in Tax, NI, Council tax, corporation tax, tax on goods, fuel, stamp duty etc etc and I would be a bit peeved if someone told me I had to go and work for free (or £2 an hour).

But then I kept coming back to the same thing, last month I was quite ill - nothing serious just a pretty bad cold. I was too tired to go out, but by the 3rd day I was THAT bored I just went for a walk to the end of the road and back (20 minutes!) just to get out of the house. I hate doing nothing, if my options were JSA and sitting at home or JSA and working for free, I would chose the latter every time. If nothing else it gets me out of the house, it goes on my CV and I might end up meeting new people or getting a job at the end of it.

Im not going to judge (not that you would care anyway hopefully), but maybe look at the bigger picture rather than just the next 2 months. As the old saying goes, it is easier to get a job if you have one.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

That is why many people who were on higher salaries don't bother signing on as they will have redundancy payments and/or savings to live off for the few weeks it takes to find another job. When I last finished a job I went to the airport to take a holiday rather than go to the Job Centre to sign on.

I appreciate that it is difficult if you are on a low income but for those on decent money there really shouldn't be any excuse not to build up an emergency fund of 2-3 months expenses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure