PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal ideas for Acid Reflux

Options

Comments

• lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi,

I've found this year that I've developed lactose intolerance and can have a nightmare at times as cheese seems to be in everything!
    I don't know what part of the cheese etc it is that's bad for you but since you can have soft cheese this might help.
    I've been suffering not having pasta and sauce, wasn't something I had regularly but is one thing I missed. Last week I made pasta and put in some lactofree marg and the lactofree soft cheese and it was lovely. I've also started trying to do things like macaroni cheese using a white sauce of marg, milk and flour with a small amount of cheese (marg, milk and cheese all lactofree).

Rather than looking at the list and trying to make a meal with it why not think about something you'd like to eat, identify which parts would need altered and find a solution to them? What's your usual favourite (after curry since someone else is working ont hat recipe haha)

LJ
    x
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    evie451 wrote: »
    I think this is the same thing my MIL has now I see Butterfly Brains post and she can definitely manage my homemade Korma which I do with semi skimmed milk and some yoghurt for her (not the usual double cream!) but hers is now in the controlled with pills category........so heres hoping that once you have healed its Nan bread here we come :) although maybe not the spicy onions and chutney!

Butterfly my MIL didnt realise how reliant she is on those pills until she ran out at one point within 24hrs it was back as bad as ever...

You got a recipe for that Korma? :) has it got onion in it?
  • bigmaz
    Options
    lynsayjane wrote: »
    Hi,

I've found this year that I've developed lactose intolerance and can have a nightmare at times as cheese seems to be in everything!
    I don't know what part of the cheese etc it is that's bad for you but since you can have soft cheese this might help.
    I've been suffering not having pasta and sauce, wasn't something I had regularly but is one thing I missed. Last week I made pasta and put in some lactofree marg and the lactofree soft cheese and it was lovely. I've also started trying to do things like macaroni cheese using a white sauce of marg, milk and flour with a small amount of cheese (marg, milk and cheese all lactofree).

Rather than looking at the list and trying to make a meal with it why not think about something you'd like to eat, identify which parts would need altered and find a solution to them? What's your usual favourite (after curry since someone else is working ont hat recipe haha)

LJ
    x

Hmmmm, that sounds like a much better approach. We eat things like Spag Bol, chili, lasagne, everything with tomato in, and mince, lol. I love mince, but might stay away from it within the 8 weeks. Although might be ok if I get extra lean mince.
  • evie451
    evie451 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes unfortunately and some tomatoes so its one for after this 8wks! :)

I make my basic curry sauce:-
    fry whole coriander and Cumin (can be dry fry but I use rice bran oil) add the onion and salt it to help it cook more quickly
    add ginger and a little bit of garlic then a tin of chopped toms
    fry this for a minute or two then add
    turmeric, powdered cumin and powdered coriander.
    this gets simmered until it starts to look glossy it gets mashed together a bit with the back of the spoon
    I test it for salt etc at this point
    for MIL I add say, chicken, then turn it down low and add the milk first then yoghurt to the desired mild korma appearance :) I add cashews powdered and a few whole ones cos she likes them..
    it then gets simmered for a few minutes and served
    this doesnt have any chilli in it at all because she still cant take any but its tasty and curry like you might find when you are a bit better you can add some garam masala :D
    I tend to make a biggish batch of this as its easy to vary for all tastes!
    Every Penny's a prisoner :T
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-tomato-chili/
    http://thenourishingcook.com/no-tomato-spaghetti-sauce/

at work so can't check all the detail in these but just a simply google search of 'chili without tomato' and 'spaghetti without tomato' fed these back amongst others.
    Can I suggest trying the quorn mince if it's the fat content you need to be wary of. I've tried eating them purely for a weight loss need and although it's not as good as the real thing (I could never go veggie!) it's better than nothing.

LJ
    x
  • bigmaz
    Options
    lynsayjane wrote: »
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/no-tomato-chili/
    http://thenourishingcook.com/no-tomato-spaghetti-sauce/

at work so can't check all the detail in these but just a simply google search of 'chili without tomato' and 'spaghetti without tomato' fed these back amongst others.
    Can I suggest trying the quorn mince if it's the fat content you need to be wary of. I've tried eating them purely for a weight loss need and although it's not as good as the real thing (I could never go veggie!) it's better than nothing.

LJ
    x

Yeah, i seen some of these recipes. Problem is, they all seem to have onion and garlic as the main ingrediant.

Hmmmm, might give the quorn a try, cheers :)
  • bigmaz
    Options
    evie451 wrote: »
    Yes unfortunately and some tomatoes so its one for after this 8wks! :)

I make my basic curry sauce:-
    fry whole coriander and Cumin (can be dry fry but I use rice bran oil) add the onion and salt it to help it cook more quickly
    add ginger and a little bit of garlic then a tin of chopped toms
    fry this for a minute or two then add
    turmeric, powdered cumin and powdered coriander.
    this gets simmered until it starts to look glossy it gets mashed together a bit with the back of the spoon
    I test it for salt etc at this point
    for MIL I add say, chicken, then turn it down low and add the milk first then yoghurt to the desired mild korma appearance :) I add cashews powdered and a few whole ones cos she likes them..
    it then gets simmered for a few minutes and served
    this doesnt have any chilli in it at all because she still cant take any but its tasty and curry like you might find when you are a bit better you can add some garam masala :D
    I tend to make a biggish batch of this as its easy to vary for all tastes!

Oh man, I am sitting here drewling over this, it must taste soooo good :) cannot wait to try this after the 8 weeks!!! Thank you
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Chicken breast stuffed with soft cheese & wrapped in bacon served with new spuds & veg.

Fish pie using mash.

Can you use oxo & gravies?
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are lots of specific recipe books on Amazon; just search 'acid reflux'.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    Chicken breast stuffed with soft cheese & wrapped in bacon served with new spuds & veg.

Fish pie using mash.

Can you use oxo & gravies?

I couldnt have the bacon, but the melted cream cheese in chicken would be nice.

Not sure about gravy as the salt content is high. Could maybe try reduced salt gravy granuals
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure