vauxhall zafira radio problems

ive recently bought a 05 plate vauxhall zafira. the car is being used as a taxi which means i spend a lot of time in it, but the problem is when i get in the car in the morning i can put the radio on and it will be fine for an hour maybe an hour and a half, but then it goes silent, the display will still say what frequency/station im listening to but no sound.

ive tried searching for another station when it happens just incase its the one i'm listening to but it cannot find another station on any frequency.

if i turn it off completely so the display just shows the date and leave it for a while it will work again when i turn it off but it seems the longer i leave it the longer it will last because some times it can go back off after 10 mins.

the cd will work all the time so its only the radio that is "faulty", the radio unit is the factory fitted one for this model.

as anyone had this problem and more importantly can anyone tell me how to fix it because its driving me mad being in the car with very little music all day.

Comments

• johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    ive recently bought a 05 plate vauxhall zafira. the car is being used as a taxi which means i spend a lot of time in it, but the problem is when i get in the car in the morning i can put the radio on and it will be fine for an hour maybe an hour and a half, but then it goes silent, the display will still say what frequency/station im listening to but no sound.

ive tried searching for another station when it happens just incase its the one i'm listening to but it cannot find another station on any frequency.

if i turn it off completely so the display just shows the date and leave it for a while it will work again when i turn it off but it seems the longer i leave it the longer it will last because some times it can go back off after 10 mins.

the cd will work all the time so its only the radio that is "faulty", the radio unit is the factory fitted one for this model.

as anyone had this problem and more importantly can anyone tell me how to fix it because its driving me mad being in the car with very little music all day.

as it works ok for an hour or so i would say something on the PCB is getting too hot,you could take to a car radio repairer but personally i would look on ebay for a replacement cdr500 got one for my brother astra for £35 delivered i think it was.
  • Arfa__
    Arfa__ Posts: 584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 August 2010 at 12:02PM
    Yeah a replacement CDR500 should be easy to find. When I upgraded mine, I flogged my old CDR500 for £50 on ebay. £40-50 is about the going rate. Just make sure you get one with the security code with it!

However if you fancy splashing out on something a bit fancier, I can recommend the Kenwood BT8044U, comes in at about £150, but you've got bluetooth hands free built in, USB socket (which I fed to the glove box), so you can play loads of mp3/mp4's off a USB mem stick, it has good sound quality, even with the standard Zafira speakers. But best of all you can easily/cheaply hook it up to the steering control and the dash screen (assuming its the TID two line black/orange one, probably if you have a CDR500). All you need it this PC99-X06-DIS adaptor (£36). The only other thing you need is a £4 ISO aerial adaptor.
    There's also the cheaper W7044U and W7544U models, which are similar but without bluetooth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure