Damaged in transit!

Sold item on eBay and sent with Hermes on Monday. Tracking shows as with courier to be delivered and then damaged in transit.

Been on web chat twice today trying to find out what was happening with no joy.
They said they would issue a claim form which they have now sent to me. On the form they want pics of the damage to item but I haven't got the item, they have. In fact, I asked them where it was and how it was damaged when it was with courier and they didn't even answer.

I have heard nothing as yet from my buyer and am secretly hoping all is well (similar thing happened before and all was well)

Is it up to me to start refund process or wait for buyer to contact me?and what to do about pics of damage without my item?

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If the item was damaged and is still with courier, say so on the claim form and submit it. As the item is still with the courier, your buyer is going to spot they haven't received anything - but worth waiting a couple of days just to see whether the item is delivered and all is indeed well.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would wait too until the buyer gets in touch. My Hermes tracking isn't the greatest and it may be a blip. Did you check the tracking for the item on Ebay? That always seems more detailed than the one on their website.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I would wait too until the buyer gets in touch. My Hermes tracking isn't the greatest and it may be a blip. Did you check the tracking for the item on Ebay? That always seems more detailed than the one on their website.

Yes eBay tracking is better but it still goes backwards and forwards in what it says - damaged, then being delivered then code issued and resolved??
    I will just have to wait a bit.
    I was annoyed that Hermes couldn't tell me anything about the damage (if it has) as it could have been saved. I think I should have it back but then I suppose I wouldn't be able to claim.
    Buyer not been in touch, obviously still waiting for item!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Why did you use Hermes?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    missile wrote: »
    Why did you use Hermes?

Why not? All carriers have some sort of risk regarding damage. We use Royal Mail Tracked, UPS and Hermes depending on the item/weight/value. I have negligible damage and none performs less well than the others.
  • moonpenny
    I have used Hermes for the past year with only one other slight problem that turned out ok.
    My only gripe is that you can't talk to anyone directly just web chat and they end up telling you what you have just told them. Nothing really gets sorted and their own website should be more informative than eBay tracking.

Nothing has really changed on tracking but the top listings now say- code issued, problem resolved and due to b delivered 16th so it's anyone's guess.

Does anyone know what happens to the parcel if it is damaged? I would like to have it back
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Why not? All carriers have some sort of risk regarding damage. We use Royal Mail Tracked, UPS and Hermes depending on the item/weight/value. I have negligible damage and none performs less well than the others.
    Hermes & yodel are cheaper but not so good service for the recipient when compared to RM, UPD and DPD.

As you have found out, they have 5 star after sales service.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hermes & yodel are cheaper but not so good service for the recipient when compared to RM, UPD and DPD.

Customers would rather have cheap or free postage than paying for a more expensive courier. I offer Royal Mail for an extra 50p and UPS for an extra £4 but its only one customer in a hundred who will pay the extra.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Hermes for me is on a business contract, one price per parcel. I wouldn't touch Yodel......as I said the three I use are consistent and none performs better/worse in general than the others.

If I were the recipient with those carriers, the best for me would be UPS (I assume you meant UPS and not UPD) because the RM depot (taking away the fact they collect from us each day) is nearly 20 miles away. DPD is about 60 and I don't have near neighbours.

I'm not really sure what that means. What did I find out about 5 * service?
  • moonpenny
    Still not getting anywhere with my original post about damaged parcel. Has anyone got a phone no for Hermes?
    I have done all the chasing after them to find out what is happening and at no point have they informed me there was a problem.

Should I be contacting buyer at this stage or wait and see if it gets delivered to them (damaged or not)? It was sent last Monday.

I can't find out that if it is damaged, will it still be delivered to buyer or returned to me or what? Anybody been through this senario?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure