Hot lunch ideas for 2.5 year old

Firstly, I apologise if this has been done to death before.......

I am a bit stuck for ideas for lunches for my 2.5 year old. She has a healthy appetitite and breakfasts and dinners are sorted but I'm stumped with lunches. She isn't keen on cold lunches and hates sandwiches so I am trying to do her a hot lunch but need ideas. So far she has: eggs (scrambled or boiled) with toast, spaghetti on toast, pesto pasta, dinner leftovers if there are any but I desperately need more ideas. I have tried cheese on toast but she wasn't keen.

Any ideas would be massively appreciated

Comments

• Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My daughter hated sandwiches until she turned 3 so I sympathise. We also gave her omelette with grated carrot or chopped peppers in, beans with toast (not on the toast), microwave jacket potato with various toppings, ham and mini babybell with crackers, or when out sometimes we'd resort to an Organics oat bar with fruit and a yoghurt.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Warm quiche with peppers and cucumber.

Soup, maybe with a roll.

Pasta with sauce made from passata. Add extra veg such as grated courgette, peppers, onions, mushrooms.

Baked potato - you can change it slightly by scooping out the potato and mixing in some cheese and ham, before popping back into the skin. Grill lightly iof required.

Cauliflower cheese.

Fishfingers, maybe with peas and sweetcorn.

Omelette.

Scrambled eggs, chopped bacon, mushrooms and tomato.

Mini pizza - half a roll spread with tomato paste. Add cheese and toppings of choice.

Rice with veg and ham.

Potato wedges with egg, ham, veg, or whatever you have in.
  • MrsSippi
    MrsSippi Posts: 287 Forumite
    Thank you both for the fab ideas - all of which I will try. I was feeling like I had hit a wall thinking of new things - when my eldest was the same age she hated hot lunches and always wanted packed lunches and sandwiches for nursery but now I've got the opposite problem! Every day I dread trying to think of what to do for her lunch so at least now I have a few ideas, thanks again.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I forgot about pitta bread or english muffin pizzas with tomato puree. A very quick option and you can vary the topping according to what's in the fridge and then grill. I'd keep some English muffins in the freezer and defrost one at a time.

Savoury drop scones are an option. They're just pancake mix with self raising flour, so very simple. I've made a batch with spring onion and lots of peas and sweetcorn but you can add any fruit or veg, or cheese. Top with creme fraiche if you're fancy. I made breakfast ones for my baby using frozen raspberries (much cheaper than fresh) and blueberries.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • What about beans on toast or my daughters favourite crumpets and beans.
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I use to arrange the food into a smiley face when my DS was having a cold lunch - 1 cherry tomato halved for the eyes - grated carrot hair - cucumber eyebrows. He use to make his own sandwich using the face!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • tiz
    tiz Posts: 107 Forumite
    Have you tried wraps? You can add hot chicken, fish fingers etc. and salad but they don't resemble sandwiches. Also my favourite - wrap pizza's - use the wrap flat as a base, add pizza style toppings (a smear of tomato paste, some fresh toms, peppers, sweetcorn etc. and a sprinkle of cheese and then grill for a couple of minutes.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    what about things such as casseroles, (mild) curry, spaghetti bolognese etc - you can make a batch and freeze single portions.
    Also consider things such as warm falafel, rice or cous cous with vegetables.
    What kind of things do you cook for family meals? Plan for left overs, and for anything that is freezable, make a bit extra.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure