Employer Insolvent - Can't Pay Liquidator

The company I am working for is insolvent and we have had letters from the director stating this. The company is being placed into voluntary liquidation.

Now, I know employees can claim through the government for pay owed, notice pay and redundancy but to do that you need a reference number from the insolvency practitioner.

The problem is, the company has not yet been able to pay the insolvency practitioner to liquidate the company so it is not actually official.

Is there any way to claim for money owed, as it's now been a month since we had a letter but it hasn't moved forward and I still have no reference number.

Comments

• lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would recommend that you speak to the insolvency service directly;
    https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/where-to-get-help

If you haven't already, you also need to be signing on to claim for any benefits you’re eligible for (like Jobseeker’s Allowance) as these payments will be deducted even if you don’t claim them.
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Terry H,If the Director cannot afford the services of a Liquidator it could be a big problem for the Employees because it will need a creditor to enforce a winding up petition against the company,normally HMRC will do this but it could take two to three months before the company gets put into the hands of the Official Receiver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure