Are you an expert if a client only employs you for an hour?

Upwork, the freelancing site seems to thinks so. I disagree, quite a number of clients who only employ you for an hour seem to treat you as an expert, but I might be biased here? I certainly want clients to stay longer.
Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    please can you explain what it is you are asking?

an "expert" is a person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area. How long it takes them to impart their opinion based on their expertise is irrelevant.

if it comes to a dispute then the court will decide if the opinion expressed is an "expert" one or not, based on an assessment by the court of the relevance of the qualifications and experience of the person who gave it
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Define expert - as to me an x is a has-been and spurt is a drip under pressure
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I suppose an expert is someone who makes a living in their chosen field. I suppose that would include people who work on content mills.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Your question is ill-defined as you have used wording with fluid meanings that have different meanings depending on the context.

An expert in a field is somebody who is knowledgeable to the point of being more knowledgeable than many others/most.

An expert on a freelancing site often just meets a site criteria of having performed X tasks to date.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    fewgroats wrote: »
    I suppose an expert is someone who makes a living in their chosen field. I suppose that would include people who work on content mills.
    so you are not actually asking a question, merely expressing some nebulous resentment or dis-satisfaction with a personal experience? If "they" are not paying you enough for what you regard as your "expertise" then find a different job.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No, 00ec25, get another book of psychobabble.

PasturesNew, agree. But there needs some way to show the difference between newbies and people who stand some possibility of achieving the job.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    fewgroats wrote: »
    No, 00ec25, get another book of psychobabble..
    lol.

please re-read your first post and explain how anyone was supposed to know what you were actually asking?

it now appears you are referring to a specific context understandable only by those familiar with the circumstances of a "content mill". Your observation therefore that a 1 hour old expert is any more or less of an expert than someone with thousands of hours of expertise is your own psychobabble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure