Origin Broadband - any good

Options

Comments

• m85357
    Options
    This is my first post so hope it is OK.

Does anyone know if you can use an overrider service with Origin Broadband Ltd. I use 1899 with plusnet at present but my contract runs out in February and Origin are the best deal for a 12 month contract for Broadband and land line. Unfortunately the 1899 website is not very helpful and it is nigh on impossible to ask them a question as they refer you to the FAQs. So if any one is with Origin Broadband and use an overrider service I would like to know if you are happy with their service.

Thanks
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you cannot dial 1899, you can always use the 080 access number instead.

Also, assuming you have anytime inclusive calls, take a look at dial-through providers using 03 numbers.
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all

Can I please just check what level of cover I would have if I paid up front for Original Broadband (24 months) using a credit card and the company subsequently went bust or could no longer provide the advertised service? Do I get the same level of cover for a service as I would with a good?

Best wishes.

M.
  • Ladybird2
    Options
    After years of hassle with BT and two failed attempts to get a good renewal contract when mine runs out at the end of the month, I have started the switch to Origin.

This is an 18 month contract:

Origin Fibre - £3.59 for first 6 months (£13.59 thereafter)

Line Rental - £17.99

Anytime calls - £5.99

Caller display - £1.75

Free Router

This works out at £35.99 on average per month.

BT wanted £47 for a similar package.

Origin is based in the UK with no overseas call centre to worry about so I am hoping for a much easier time. :)

I just hope the switch goes smoothly. I'll update at the end of the month when it is all supposed to happen.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I changed to them from Plusnet about five months ago. The changeover was completely seamless. I was on Plusnet in the evening, connected to Origin the following morning. All I had to do was to swap routers over.

I managed to negotiate a fixed price up front for 18 months to include line, anytime calls, caller ID and 38Mb fibre BB for £520. Works out about £29 a month. Perhaps not the cheapest deal out there, but no price increases to worry about for 18 months.

The service has been totally reliable with absolutely no outages at all.
  • jpmoneysave
    Options
    Ordered a service from Origin but the service has been terrible and this seems to be a common issue on online forums. Seems they are having issues with keeping up with demand taking weeks to arrange broadband. In my case they haven't even started the process as yet and should have been installed within 4 working days. After reading reviews I decided to cancel within the 14 days as from other users it seems you could be a while waiting to get their service.
  • Jasper6850
    Options
    Buyer beware! Tried to take advantage of new offer of 12 month contract as specified in MSE, almost 2 weeks ago. Day after I applied just over £172 was deducted from my bank account. Following that there has been no confirmation of contract being accepted. Tried to communicate on numerous occasions via their chat line without success. Have emailed several times but no response. I have now decided to cancel my application and request a refund.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    The main reason I'm keeping note of Origin is as a negotiating pawn when my minimum term with Plusnet ends. I've had no issues with Plusnet themselves and when I had a line fault they didn't make me go through hoops to get OR out to fix it although I expect that was greatly helped by the BTw speedtester saying there was a line fault.

Last time my minimum term was up with Plusnet I used a new kid on the blocks prices (forget which) to negotiate £12.50 pm for their full fat FTTC product which suited me although iirc somebody who posted here did a tad better at the time. Line rental was their standard.

I have read that Plusnet are no longer so willing to do deals so I may end up going to Origin. I noticed that like Plusnet they are not fussed about you using your own kit and were even offering the Asus DSL-AC68U which I use as an extra cost option. I would miss the Plusnet fixed IP if I moved but I'd be stuck with premium providers if that were essential.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Quidco/TCB offer 35.00+ - My service went live 1 November - TCB still pending.

Origin use a "carrier" outside of its local operating Yorkshire area, that carrier could be Plusnet/Vodafone or someone else,
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where I am in Hampshire, it uses the Vodafone (old C&W) fibre network.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure