Vanguard Life Strategy

Comments

• USA unemployment figures due.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    USA unemployment figures due.

Hey, I know you're new to the game of market-watching, and every economic statistic around the world may affect the value of a VLS fund (or any global fund held by a GBP investor) in some way - exchange rates, likelihood of future QE, general business confidence etc etc.

But you realise that employment figures come out every month, right? Are you going to warn this thread each month (or each week) when such news is pending?

We either don't care because we're buying as a long term hold and ignoring daily movements, or we are actively trying to time the markets and therefore we probably know when the periodic announcements on inflation, business confidence surveys, employment, interest rates etc. are due. :)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Financial planning will change, depending on whether they are married or not, but should not be done independently, just because they are not.

Possibly true in a general way (ie agree to no gambling, no debts, saving a certain % of wage etc). To save the full amt into a S&S Cash Isa each year.

But it doesn't give someone else the right to micromanage someone else's portfolio/investment choices. As in "get my girlfriend off my back" etc.
  • stardust09
    stardust09 Posts: 264
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have recently started a S&S ISA with a VLS 60% Acc. Alongside that, I've got a Somerset Emerging Markets Dividend Growth A Fund Acc.

I'm 35, single and dabbling in S&S ISAs for the first time. I've only got £500 invested in each fund so far and am planning to drip feed small amounts in regularly, like £50-150 monthly. I don't have much spare cash

I wasn't sure whether to keep building up these two funds or whether there are any others which go well alongside the VLS. It's a case of either lots of eggs in two baskets or fewer eggs in many. I don't have heaps of spare cash each month but am looking to invest for retirement, so 25-30 years. I don't have any other pension apart from a small NHS one but now I'm self-employed and earning less so am trying to invest wisely!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Roustabout
    Roustabout Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2013 at 9:36PM
    For anyone who is running at a loss on any investments due to this recent correction. Don't worry. I know it is easier said than done but you really need to get this into perspective. For what it is worth I used to worry like that but you can overcome it.

I now think of any downside like this:

If you buy a brand new car and pay say £10k for it. The moment you drive it from the showroom it has a downside of approx £3k. This is permanent and continues to fall as the car ages. Do you think of this when you buy any car not just a brand new one.

Your investment fund may have lost but in all likelihood will gain in value unlike the car. Show me a car that can do that and I will believe in miracles.

If you buy a house - the single largest purchase of your life - the next week there could be a housing slump and it is worth way less than it was the week before. The slump will recover at some point. Same as your investments. Do you sit in your lounge and worry each day and monitor the housing market to see if your house has lost value? No I bet you don't. There is not need to do that with your investments.

Treat any down time as an opportunity to invest at a lower price, ignore the noise and the unemployment figures and the mining problems. These factors only affect gamblers and speculators. You are not one of those. You are an investor.

I recently topped up my holding in National Grid when they fell recently only for the share price to fall a bit further. Am I worried? No! I sit here proud of my current loss in hopefulness that it will turn good! I have confidence in the company that the share price will recover and hopefully more so.
  • bertpalmer
    bertpalmer Posts: 109
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Roustabout wrote: »
    Your investment fund may have lost but in all likelihood will gain in value unlike the car. Show me a car that can do that and I will believe in miracles.

Apologies for being pedantic in advance, but you can invest in cars. Same as you can invest in wine, stamps etc etc etc
  • Roustabout
    Roustabout Posts: 58 Forumite
    bertpalmer wrote: »
    Apologies for being pedantic in advance, but you can invest in cars. Same as you can invest in wine, stamps etc etc etc

Sorry I do know that - I am talking in general every day terms such as your regular hatchback from the local show room. No need to apologise I was trying to make everyday comparisons to losses etc.
  • vickssinex
    vickssinex Posts: 173
    First Post
    Forumite
    stardust09 wrote: »

I wasn't sure whether to keep building up these two funds or whether there are any others which go well alongside the VLS.

You could have a look at funds which focus on sectors that the VLS doesn't cover, such as small companies, to give even greater diversification.
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    global small cap vanguard
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories