PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Finally processed the rest of the apples into stewed and peeled and cored then frozen. Then played tetris with the freezer to get them in, only to get some stewed apple out again to add to yogurt for an ad hoc dessert.

We are having a freezer week this week as all is v tight until pay day but tbh, we could store cupboard until Christmas if we needed to - I have been sub-consciously hoarding I think
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I have realised that our freezers are over stocked with home grown fruit which we don,t eat in sufficient quantities as desserts to run them down quickly enough rather than having space for more essential meat or fish products.
    The reality of this was brought home to me recently. My OH was unwell and bedridden for 10 days and I needed to stock up on foods which were quick to prepare and cook because I didn,t have the time to cook from scratch. Unfortunately I had no freezer space available for them and the freezers were so jam packed I did ,t have the energy to clear everything out to find the items I wanted.

So need to have a rethink on what are priority items to store going forward. Space for a few more items I could have just put in the oven and cooked from frozen would have been a real blessing.
  • Used up some left over flaky pastry from the freezer and also left over sausage meat and made nibbles for our quiz night last night Also used a very large bacon chop up yesterday with cabbage and mash.Hoping to get a bit of wriggle room there.Nothing out to eat for today as I go to Dds for dinner later.But will have a delve to see what I can get out for tomorrows dinner shortly
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yesterday
    In: nothing
    Out: rump steak, peppercorn sauce
    Used up: flat mushroom

Today
    Out: lorne sausage, tattie scone, roasted belly pork stuffed with black pudding & apple
    Used up: peppercorn sauce
  • caronc
    Out: baked beans
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, I'm a great believer in it always being wise to a food stash in case of the unexpected. Mine just needs reined in a bit. Hope you get another job soon.

Today
    In: passatta
    Out: mini-burgers, spaghetti

thank you caronc - my friends for years, have said i have a problem the amount of food cupboards i have, however, my kids and i have had good home made dinners every night and i haven;t had to spend much yet and my cupboards are still full
  • caronc
    In: root veg mash, bubble & squeak
    Out: pollock, spinach, peas, fennel,leeks, brown rice, bread
    Used up: baked beans
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Since last Sunday, still using up those mentioned selected freezer drawer items. The person who I share delivery costs with (online grocery shopping) is currently making it more regular. Consequently, a few extra food purchases made. These were mainly more UHT milk with just one extra freezer ingredient. Emptying the second of four freezer drawers is slowly getting there!
  • caronc
    edited 25 October 2017 at 7:52PM
    Out: bread, salami, passatta, [STRIKE]SR flour[/STRIKE], naan bread
    Used up:[STRIKE] yoghurt[/STRIKE], fish stew, pate

ETA - I dropped the blinking yoghurt getting it out of the fridge and it splatted all over the floor. Plan B of a naan bread for a pizza base !
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In - nowt
    Out - 2 ikea hotdogs for nephew
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business