Got a promotion but pay won't be backdated

13»

Comments

• I wasn't suggesting that he asks the same question twice.

So far he's said 'Will my pay be backdated?' and they've said 'No.'
    Now I'm suggesting that he says 'Why aren't you able to backdate my pay?'

Which I think is a very reasonable question. And there may be a very good reason for why they can't do it - but the OP won't find out until he asks.

It costs a lot to fire someone, even if they've only been in the job a couple of months (time and money wasted on training for starters) and then go through the rigmarole of recruiting someone else - I really don't think a question like this would be the trigger.

No, they probably won't sack him - but a lot of people will begin to think less of him. Making such a fuss about two weeks when you have been given a very large pay rise is positively weird behaviour. Abnormal. They will wonder if it was a mistake to promote him. Have you ever done this with a positive result? if not, why are you so sure it's the way for him to act?

Even as a gamble, it's not worth it. The potential downsides are massive and the potential upside is small.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    To put it bluntly, I think you sound like a whole lot of trouble and if you make an issue out of this your employer will think so too.

:(
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why ask the question and then not accept the advice. For whatever reason you are not having your salary increased until the 1st Nov. 2 weeks a small price to pay for what you describe as a substantial raise. Just be grateful that you have been fortunate to have been given the chance of a better job. If you don't like it then you can of course go elsewhere.
  • flightboy
    flightboy Posts: 183 Forumite
    I wouldst ask before Nov 1st as maybe they will just find a excuse and withdraw the offer anyway! Seems crazy to think so short term for what could be a very long term benefit
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    flightboy wrote: »
    I wouldst ask before Nov 1st as maybe they will just find a excuse and withdraw the offer anyway! Seems crazy to think so short term for what could be a very long term benefit
    Probably. Possibly. But it does depend on where you start. If your are on the living wage, then an extra £1 per hour is a huge difference. Not so much if you are on £40k. But the OP only has three months - actually almost three months- service. So even after 1st November they are a very long way from security. Maybe pushing this now, assuming the employer needs them, might work out - but in six months time, when there is a new "OP" who is variable and can do the job, and isn't creating any waves - who will have the job then? Probably the new recruit - because the OP can still be dismissed without any problems.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    OP, there is no obligation to give you a pay rise simply because your job has changed, even where the change involves more responsibilities.
    I think at this stage, given you'e asked once and been told 'no' it's not a good idea to push it.

It's most likely a practical thing about the timing of payroll and budgets, it may be that the person who original spoke to you didn't have the authority to commit to a date.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,017
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Its common for job descriptions to include a requirement to do additional/alternative duties from time to time at the discretion of your employer.

Its also extremely common to undertake more senior duties for lengthy periods without any recognition, salary or promotion.

This is why increasing your salary from the next full month after you started the role is no big deal and relatively fair in this big bad world.

In a very simplistic world if you start a job on Monday you'd be paid from Monday but it just isn't as cut and dried as you want it to be OP and playing the long game is very sensible advice when you're in the early, and so far successful, stage of establishing yourself with a new employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure