PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Comments

• I wouldn't have thought you need to wrap it in foil as whenever I cook meat in the slow cooker it's always more moist and juicy than anything I cook in the oven.

Roasting times in my "Slow cooking properly explained" book quote for a beef, lamb or veal joint:
    0.9kg to 1.6kg = low 4-10 hours or high 3-6 hours
    1.6kg to 2.25kg = low 7-12 hours or high 5-8 hours.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Congrats on the baby :beer:

Take a look at this - beef in the slowcooker. I'll merge this thread with that one later.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Of course it is fine to cook in slow cooker. My personal foolproof method is to put slow cooker on to heat (having taken meat out of fridge to kind of get to room temperature). Boil kettle, pour small amount of water in SC, put in meat and then blanch with hot water from kettle. Cook for about 8 hours. Remove and drain and then wrap in foil and put in fridge after a while to cool and slice. Make gravy from liquid in SC and Bob's your uncle! We cut and slice the roast, freeze excess as we do with the gravy in small tubs for future use.

Hope this helps.

GB x
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    thankyou every one.

Granny broon when u say blanch with water, how much water would that be? untill all meat is covered ?
  • hel13nov
    hel13nov Posts: 39 Forumite
    i noticed one thread said they had wrapped beef in tin foil, do you have to?
  • hel13nov - You don't need to wrap it in foil.

To make a lovely roasted joint in the slow cooker, roughly chop an onion, a couple of carrots and chuck in a glass or two of wine, garlic, herbs and maybe a tin of tomatoes if there's some spare. Put the meat on top, put the lid on and leave it on high for 4-6 hours or so. When it's done, press the veggies through a sieve and add some flour or bisto to make the gravy.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • Cat121
    Cat121 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Hi there,

I have recently acquired a Morphy Richards slow cooker (a very large one) and so far have made a nice casserole, bolognese etc. I had however heard that you can cook joints of beef, chicken etc in them. As I acquired mine for free and without any instructions I wondered a) are they as nice when cooked this way? b) is it cheaper and c)how best do I cook these?

I have a 800g beef joint that I would like to cook - how best to do this in the slow cooker? Also how would I cook a chicken in it aswell?

I would really appreciate your advice and would like to thank in advance those who can respond :-)

Catherine
    Learning valuable lessons everyday - made all the easier by the folks on here and my amazing family :T

Life is better - now time to save for son's future :T
  • HelenKA_2
    HelenKA_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    I just put the joint in and add what ever is lurking in the way of onion/carrot/celery/red or white wine/garlic/worcestor sauce. No need to seal it or for any liquid unless you want to use up some dregs.

The meat comes out juicey and tasty and can be eaten as it is or sliced and saved or chunked and put in a pie with a pastry top.
  • a) yes, lovely! Slow cooking them really brings out the flavour and makes even cheap cuts of beef very tender - I just shred them with a couple of forks; no need to cut with a knife.

b) I believe so. I think a slow cooker on for 6 hours is the equivalent of 20 minutes using an oven; something like that. Also cheaper because you can use cheap cuts of meat.

c) With beef joints I add rough-chopped onions and carrots to the bottom of the SC, enough beef stock to cover the veg and some pepper. Then I sit the the beef on top and cook on low for about 6-7 hours. Wrap the beef in foil and let it rest for 20 mins or so before shredding. I also strain the juice from the SC and use it as a stock.

With chicken, I put an inch of water at the bottom, then cook the chicken on low for 6-7 hours. Very simple. I discard the skin and again shred with a fork. It's hard getting a whole chicken out of the SC as it falls apart it's so tender. I also use the bones afterwards to make stock (still experimenting with this, but cover the bones with water, chuck in some onions, carrots, celery, seasoning, and slow cook for 5 hours ish).
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try a proper rice pudding in the slow cooker - mmmm lovely
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport