Probate address / multiple addresses advice please

Good afternoon all - I am trying to forward plan a bit and help my mum out with her mail at the moment as she is struggling with it, thus moving a lot of her correspondence to my address (still in her name). She is very relieved at this.

However, looking in to the future (a long way I hope!), when I apply for probate and her last address is different from that of say a Unit Trust she has with a correspondence address of my house, will this cause problems releasing the asset(s) ?

I am an executor on the will.

I assume this must be commonplace, but the probate office helpline seemed to be just guessing when I asked them. There must be numerous occasions where this has happened before or the deceased has accounts registered at more than one property (or indeed own more than one property).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks..Snolly

Comments

• g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Good afternoon all - I am trying to forward plan a bit and help my mum out with her mail at the moment as she is struggling with it, thus moving a lot of her correspondence to my address (still in her name). She is very relieved at this.

However, looking in to the future (a long way I hope!), when I apply for probate and her last address is different from that of say a Unit Trust she has with a correspondence address of my house, will this cause problems releasing the asset(s) ?

I am an executor on the will.

I assume this must be commonplace, but the probate office helpline seemed to be just guessing when I asked them. There must be numerous occasions where this has happened before or the deceased has accounts registered at more than one property (or indeed own more than one property).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks..Snolly
    It happens all the time as people often move address and don't do all the admin. It should not be a big problem but may be time consuming.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds very much like you need to organise a formal Lasting Power of Attorney whilst mum is still able to authorise one.

If you start managing her affairs from your address and the PGO get involved this may not be looked upon kindly. It could prevent you being appointed deputy.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • My sistser and I are LPA's already RAS, have had that set up a number of years. We were just talking about cutting down on my mums post (which she's starting to struggle with) & she asked us if we can change the correspondence address for things which just need filing.

Not done anything with it yet because of the above. Not sure if it would cause problems in the future.

What happens with people who have multiple properties and accounts at different addresses re probate? Only one address would be on the probate - or as the executor is listed as administrator is it their address which is more important ?

Just trying to help family out but keep things simple, both now and in the future.
  • In advance of the dreaded day, it is wise to inform yourself about what will be involved in being an executor, and the process of probate. This link will give you guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/overview

Probate is applied for by the executor/s, using your address, not that of the deceased.

Best to get organised and keep a good filing system with all the financial information you can find. You're probably doing that already, but it will save you a headache at a stressful time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure