Cope

2»

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    “ It's just the way it goes. Someone currently in their 50s who has always been contracted out would have a 2016 foundation amount of at least £120 per week (the old basic State pension). If they carry on working for a least 9 years, they will get the full Single Tier pension of £160 per week plus their full contracted out pension.

However, they will pay FULL NI for the post 2016 years. I know people say the NI rebate is peanuts - but it's actually about £25 per month (plus £75 per month employer's rebate) for someone earning £25K.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    So an extra £40 per week on paying £25 a month, tough life. Posted by bigadaj

Yes, it's a brilliant deal - but you should have heard the complaints from some LGPS members when we (pensions department) published details of the changes, including the removal of the NI rebate. We tried to make out what a great deal it was - but some people were so angry at having to pay this extra money they actually opted out of the LGPS, claiming they couldn't afford 2 pensions!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, it's a brilliant deal - but you should have heard the complaints from some LGPS members when we (pensions department) published details of the changes, including the removal of the NI rebate. We tried to make out what a great deal it was - but some people were so angry at having to pay this extra money they actually opted out of the LGPS, claiming they couldn't afford 2 pensions!

Well some saving for the hard pressed taxpayer then.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic

Jeez, did they really not understand it that badly??

Perhaps employers should have a legal obligation to save their employees from gross stupidity :rotfl:
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Silvertabby
    Jeez, did they really not understand it that badly??

Perhaps employers should have a legal obligation to save their employees from gross stupidity :rotfl:Posted by GunJack

It's illegal not to allow people to opt out. LGPS administrators just administer the pension scheme, and are not allowed by law to offer actual advice. I used to tell people what they would be giving up by opting out, but most couldn't see past the extra money they would have to spend now.
  • GunJack
    Sad... in the CS dept. I was in, no-one at all would've ever considered opting out. In some ways the LGPS is even better, as transfers out are possible....

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    Translation. I have paid full NI for many years to get my pension as have many others, you have not. The new changes mean you can get as much as us after paying in less AND you have the benefit of another pension which we do not (well certainly no where near as good).
    Actually I didn't pay less National Insurance. What happened is that a portion (rebate) went to a private pension. This would have gone towards the Second State pension had I not contracted out. It is unfortunate for you that the government has effectively stolen from you the second state pension that you have contributed to. Also for information I only will get a state pension due to enough qualifying years same as everyone else.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Silvertabby
    edited 8 October 2017 at 8:56PM
    Sad... in the CS dept. I was in, no-one at all would've ever considered opting out. In some ways the LGPS is even better, as transfers out are possible.... Posted by GunJack
    Were you in uniform in the 1980s, during the private pensions mis-selling debacle? Even though the Armed Forces pension scheme was (notionally) non-contributory, private pensions sellers still tried to pursuade members of the Armed Forces to opt out in favour of a private plan. If anyone had insisted on opting out, then the RAF couldn't have legally stopped them. However, we had a cunning plan...... First step would be to speak to a Cpl or Sgt in PSF, who would tell them that if they did opt out then their take-home pay would actually drop as they would have to pay more NI. That nipped most of them in the bud. Second step would be an interview with an old school Warrant Officer, Third step would be an interview with a Junior officer, and final step would be signing the opt out forms in the presence of a Senior officer.

No one got past the Warrant Officer, who loudly explained to them in basic barrack room language exactly why they shouldn't opt out.
  • GunJack
    Were you in uniform in the 1980s, during the private pensions mis-selling debacle? Even though the Armed Forces pension scheme was (notionally) non-contributory, private pensions sellers still tried to pursuade members of the Armed Forces to opt out in favour of a private plan. If anyone had insisted on opting out, then the RAF couldn't have legally stopped them. However, we had a cunning plan...... First step would be to speak to a Cpl or Sgt in PSF, who would tell them that if they did opt out then their take-home pay would actually drop as they would have to pay more NI. That nipped most of them in the bud. Second step would be an interview with an old school Warrant Officer, Third step would be an interview with a Junior officer, and final step would be signing the opt out forms in the presence of a Senior officer.

No one got past the Warrant Officer, who loudly explained to them in basic barrack room language exactly why they shouldn't opt out.

No, hun, never in uniform, always CS...but there were still plenty of THAT type of WO's around so know exactly what you mean :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure