Where can I set up a "dummy" share trading account

Hi,

I hope you can help. I'm looking for an online share trading site that before moving on to the real thing will allow me to play with a dummy account / portfolio and allow me to make dummy trades etc. till I get the hang of what I am doing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please as I'm struggling to find one.

Thanks

Who do you think is the best online share trader? 2 votes

Hoodless Brennan
50% 1 vote
The Share Centre
0% 0 votes
E*TRADE UK
50% 1 vote
iWeb
0% 0 votes

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

maybe something like this would do you, havn't tried it, just searched 'virtual portfolio', and it was top of list.

Most financial sites will allow you to set up a portfolio just to play with, though if you want to include dealing costs and stamp duty, etc, you would need to provide figures yourself, as you will have no real figures.
  • ahh good idea, thanks.

It would be great however if there was a site I could use then as a virtual site, and also as a real site for direct comparison. Any other ideas out there?

Cheers
  • kendun
    kendun Posts: 54 Forumite
    could try share.com you'll need to create an account and then you can log into the practice trading section.You have £15000 to invest in the practice section
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    remarked wrote: »
    ahh good idea, thanks.

It would be great however if there was a site I could use then as a virtual site, and also as a real site for direct comparison. Any other ideas out there?

Cheers

Hi,

don't quite understand, :confused: if you put the same data into each portfolio, then you will get the same results.
  • I mean I can watch and play with stocks in one portfolio and make false trades to try things out, while in another portfolio I have real stocks, if you know what I mean..

Thanks
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm not sure what good a dummy portfolio would do, when you already have free access to share prices on the internet and a spreadsheet. Maybe if you said what kind of trading you wanted to do it would help?

I don't think your poll will help you much, as you've only listed four brokers and left out most of the largest and most popular ones; I would have ticked 'none of the above' but there was no such option.
  • Using the dummy site I can then see if I like the site, how it works etc. without investing and spending money. Then if it is good I can start trading while also trying out new features of the site e.g. auto sell points at a certain price, mobile access etc, which as a beginner would I think be invaluable.

Out of interest which one would you (the general forum readership) recommend?
  • wellsie82
    wellsie82 Posts: 502 Forumite
    probably a daft question but ive been using digital look for the past 6 months or so as ive had equities & etf's in my share dealing again

ive just opened a sipp with HL and although they cover unit trusts etc, i cant work out how/where to state how much cash went into the plans

ie, im putting in £100 p/m into the sipp and i'll buy unit trusts etc, at the moment when i add something to the dummy portfolio it shows the whole value as being profit
  • aztec21
    aztec21 Posts: 134 Forumite
    You could try Share Crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills