Communicating with DCAs by email

I have been having an ongoing communication with various DCAs by letter mainly relating to F&F settlement offers. I am now nearing a solution with one in particular, just needing final clarification on a couple of things. In the most recent letter I have been given an email address to use for correspondance which I tempted to use for speed and convenience

Is there any downside from a legal or audit trail perspective to me using the email approach to communication?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Nothing at all - make sure that whatever f&f you agree they post it in writing and that (more importantly) you only send email from a throwaway account (hotmail etc) and NOT a work address, in case they hound you ever more.
  • yagger
    yagger Posts: 10 Forumite
    I would have everything in writing by you and them, and would go further and even get proof of delivery. Can I ask have you tried going directly to the lender for a F&F ? Just make sure that the DCA is not paying off a portion of the debt then passing it on, or even if they have authority to do a F&F in the first place.
  • The wording in the letter says they have consulted with their client and subject to payment of F&F settlement they will not pursue the debt any more and they will instruct other DCAs the same.

Is this sufficient?
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    They need to stipulate what the F&F is.
  • Thanks Gordon, can you suggest some wording that I could use to make clear what I am expecting.
  • Can anyone help with the wording as mentioned above. I have to send this letter tomorrow.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorry, I'm not very good with words. Just use bullet points outlining what it is you want.
  • lxpeanut
    lxpeanut Posts: 8,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    we can use emails at work now for legal things as long as we have confirmation from the recipients that its the right address. Courts should no longer see emails as inferior to post.

As for wording they have confirmed the debt will no longer be pursued. The only other thing I'd want is confirmation that it will be marked as settled on credit files.
    "You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts" - Arthur Schlesinger

Proud to be have dealt with my debt :D Debt Free Sept 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport